Alter Bridge's 4th album and other AB-related news

Anguyen92

All Ends Well is good, but I think they have many better ballad type songs: Breathe Again, Life Must Go On and Watch Over You stand out for me as being better than AEW. Saying that, I think Bleed It Dry is my least favourite, but I still really like it!

However, the more I listen to Fortress the more I feel they could do better. I think the potential is already there for a monumental fifth release!

Bleed It Dry is my least as well.

For me, the verse is good, the chorus good, but they don't work together well. Its like a mash up of two very different songs, with a bizarre chill out solo thrown into what is essentially a standard thrashy metal number.

Although I like all the songs on this album a lot, I still feel it is missing a little something. This is an 8/10 rather than the 9/10 I gave ABIII. Really frustrating, as I sense so much greatness on Achilles, Addicted, Lover and Calm the Fire. Fortress is a good track but it lacks the emotion of the similar Blackbird. The Uninvited is a very good track, not great. Same goes to Peace, Farther, Cry and All Ends Well. I still think its great, but not the masterpiece that its predecessor was!

Well...ABIII is the sort of album I love, but Fortress loses mainly due to Bleed It Dry and a few slightly ordinary Alter Bidge numbers. Bu itis pprobably still growing on me! The production is miles better than ABIII as well, forgot to mention that! The songs have room to breathe, and they lack the dense wall of sound approach that made ABIII take over a year to fully grow on me (once it did I fell in love)

I don't know. Myles is such a singular talent IMO. His work with Slash is amazing. The Alter Bridge stuff is pretty uninspiring. I listened to Fortress on YouTube. If not for Myles' singing, I don't know there's anything that would make me want to listen to it again.

Myles maybe a singular talent but if it weren't for Alter Bridge, he may have very well never became the well known singer he is now. I doubt he would've even been on Slash's radar when he was looking for a singer if Myles didn't have those great performances on the first couple Alter Bridge albums.

I don't know. Myles is such a singular talent IMO. His work with Slash is amazing. The Alter Bridge stuff is pretty uninspiring. I listened to Fortress on YouTube. If not for Myles' singing, I don't know there's anything that would make me want to listen to it again.

Myles maybe a singular talent but if it weren't for Alter Bridge, he may have very well never became the well known singer he is now. I doubt he would've even been on Slash's radar when he was looking for a singer if Myles didn't have those great performances on the first couple Alter Bridge albums.

What about when he took over for Izzy in Steel Dragon?

He took over for who in what?

Facts are facts. Myles was already in his 30s and had yet to be discovered by anybody significant until he got the gig with Alter Bridge. Up until then he was just a very good undiscovered talent that more than likely would've stayed that way if he didn't join Alter Bridge and find international success with them.

Facts are facts. Myles was already in his 30s and had yet to be discovered by anybody significant until he got the gig with Alter Bridge. Up until then he was just a very good undiscovered talent that more than likely would've stayed that way if he didn't join Alter Bridge and find international success with them.

Fine. If you can't take a joke we can do it your way.

Ask 100 people on the street at random if they know who Alter Bridge is. Three might. International "success"? LOL

Ask 100 people on the street at random if they know who Alter Bridge is. Three might. International "success"? LOL

I didn't get the joke because I had no clue what you were referring to with the Steel Dragon thing. Yes, Alter Bridge is internationally successful. There have a very good following over in Europe and tour there quite often, especially in the UK. In fact that's where they started their current tour. Your point about asking people who they are and them not knowing can be said for many bands. A band can still be successful and not be a name everyone knows. Just because they aren't a household name like The Rolling Stones or Led Zeppelin doesn't mean a band hasn't made it.

Edited by J2112YYZ

They are very well known internationally, and here in the UK they went top ten TWICE with the last two albums, rave reviews, well received singles and Myles Kennedy and Mark Tremonti have been frequently interviewed all over the press, and the last two albums have been making waves all over the world. Maybe not the USA so much, but still, they get better reception now than I think Creed ever did.

And it took them about six years from inception to finally be able to sell out Wembley. And the majority of their fans discovered them via word of mouth! No hype whatsoever.

I didn't get the joke because I had no clue what you were referring to with the Steel Dragon thing. Yes, Alter Bridge is internationally successful. There have a very good following over in Europe and tour there quite often, especially in the UK. In fact that's where they started their current tour. Your point about asking people who they are and them not knowing can be said for many bands. A band can still be successful and not be a name everyone knows. Just because they aren't a household name like The Rolling Stones or Led Zeppelin doesn't mean a band hasn't made it.

Nice straw man. No one said a band has to be the Stones to be successful. Alter Bridge is a virtually unknown band. With a singer talented enough that Slash uses him, and Guns N Roses had him perform at their RRHOF induction. Sounds to me like a great singer with an average band. Which is what I said to begin with.

THEY ARE NOT AVERAGE! After all, the worlds most successful modern singers and bands are on the whole better to look at than listen to. And all the success of AB, however moderate in comparison to other bigger bands, can be attributed to hard work, word of mouth and talent. Not hype, huge record label backing and selling out! Blackbird had very little support from the label but word of mouth made it the modern classic that it is today! I think if they had had the label support and media support Blackbird could have sold Adele sized numbers! Seriously, they are absolutely amazing. Not an opinion I share alone.

Compare Nickleback, Rihanna, Coldplay and Linkin Park with AB. Are you gonna tell me a great act is defined by how well known they are? Coz anyone with a good ear for talent will say that AB are miles better, even if they aren't shifting records by the million.

Arg.

Edited by Segue Myles

Nice straw man. No one said a band has to be the Stones to be successful. Alter Bridge is a virtually unknown band. With a singer talented enough that Slash uses him, and Guns N Roses had him perform at their RRHOF induction. Sounds to me like a great singer with an average band. Which is what I said to begin with.

Virtually unknown band? It doesn't seem you know much about them. Their first album went gold in the US and they have had hit singles off every album that the modern rock stations in the US play a good amount of. They have also been on a number of big touring summer rock fests in North America over the last several years. In addition to touring Europe a lot, they toured Australia on their last tour and will be doing again next year. So, just because you don't know anything about the band, don't say that they are unknown because it's obvious they are not.

I know. That argument is pretty good. I think, at this stage in the game, AB is doing as good as they can be in getting their name out. Great critically albums from everyone that heard it and in Europe, they got this big tour where they are doing six arena shows in the UK and venues that fills 4k-6k people.

To me, I don't care as much if "no one" knows about them. At first, it kinda hurts that knowing that a lot doesn't know them, but afterwards, I'll be thinking their loss and it's still the band for me to listen to above all bands, so yeah.

It seems you don't know much about album sales, at least in the US. Alter Bridge's first album sold 500K. Blackbird sold 250K. ABIII sold 140K. Not a great trend. You can talk about Lady Gaga and One Direction all you like. About 250K people who bought One Day Remains in the US didn't buy Blackbird. Another 110K didn't buy ABIII.

Listen, if you love the band, that's great. I never get fans of "virtually unknown" bands arguing alternatively "People don't get how great they are" and "Yes, they are too really big." I said I think they're work is uninspiring. TO ME. It's an opinion. It's OK if it differs from yours.

Well, I guess thats fair. But considering their record sales are down, and yet the tours are getting bigger, I would suggest their is more than a few fans out their illegally downloading.

Well, I guess thats fair. But considering their record sales are down, and yet the tours are getting bigger, I would suggest their is more than a few fans out their illegally downloading.

Undoubtedly there are a lot of people illegally downloading Alter Bridge's work, like everyone else. But 360K between One Day Remains and ABIII?