Cruise news you can can use

Jack Aubrey

This was an interesting quote on the site:

"Whether we can still suspend disbelief, or whether all we can think about while watching him act is L. Ron Hubbard and Oprah will be measured by his movie's grosses."

- Marty Kaplan, Professor of Communications, University of Southern California

I wonder if I can ever watch a Cruise movie without thinking about what he is today. I'll never forget Risky Business or Color of Money, but I have to wonder whether I am going to be able to watch anything by him, should I choose to, without these biases in my mind.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Jul 7 2005, 07:43 PM)
This was an interesting quote on the site:

"Whether we can still suspend disbelief, or whether all we can think about while watching him act is L. Ron Hubbard and Oprah will be measured by his movie's grosses."
- Marty Kaplan, Professor of Communications, University of Southern California

I wonder if I can ever watch a Cruise movie without thinking about what he is today. I'll never forget Risky Business or Color of Money, but I have to wonder whether I am going to be able to watch anything by him, should I choose to, without these biases in my mind.

Yeah, I feel the same way.

I have to admit that his famous underwear scene in Risky Business was hot!

Too bad about the rest of his stuff.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Apr 17 2006, 11:19 PM)
This is too bizarre. Keep in mind the source, though.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006170680,00.html

This was a sound clip taken from an interview he did last week, where he was intentionally being sarcastic. It was quite obvious in his tone that he was answerin a completely rediculous question with a completely rediculous answer, but of course thats all something like The Sun needs to make headline news.

I still think hes completely insane though, whether or not The Sun took what he said out of context.

He might have jumped the couch awhile back, but that won't stop me from seeing his movies if they look good. I won't be seeing Mission Impossible III just cause I could barely get it up to see Mission Impossible II, but it didn't stop me from seeing the excellent War of the Worlds.

Unless Tom Cruise stops being a great actor, I won't let his personal weirdnesses in his personal life stop me from seeing his films unless he starts being really harmful or dangerous or something.

Remember, this is still the actor who gave us amazing performances in Risky Business, The Color Of Money, Rain Man, A Few Good Men, Jerry Maguire, Born On The Fourth Of July, Far And Away, The Firm, Magnolia, Minority Report and Vanilla Sky.

Maybe other people are willing to ignore such a great actor's work because he's a weird guy, but not THIS movie fan. no.gif

Edited by rushgoober

(off topic) Interesting, no one is suggesting that he isnt a good actor because of his goofiness, just that he's kinda crazy. No one in this thread has made the ridiculous argument that one shouldn't see a movie with Tom Cruise because of his personal life. Enter the Goobmeister, who comes to Cruise's defense against attacks that were never made nor suggested.

I can do that too:

"Despite Cruise being wierd, that will not stop me from opposing those who think Cruise should be lined up against a wall and shot. That just isn't right. Remember Born on the Fourth of July. "

(Back on Topic)

I know a lot of people who are "sorry" for Katie Holmes. In my opinion, she's a grown woman and should know better than to marry and have children with a placenta eating, volcano worshipping meshuggannah.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Apr 18 2006, 01:01 PM)
(off topic) Interesting, no one is suggesting that he isnt a good actor because of his goofiness, just that he's kinda crazy. No one in this thread has made the ridiculous argument that one shouldn't see a movie with Tom Cruise because of his personal life. Enter the Goobmeister, who comes to Cruise's defense against attacks that were never made nor suggested.

I can do that too:

"Despite Cruise being wierd, that will not stop me from opposing those who think Cruise should be lined up against a wall and shot. That just isn't right. Remember Born on the Fourth of July. "

(Back on Topic)

I know a lot of people who are "sorry" for Katie Holmes. In my opinion, she's a grown woman and should know better than to marry and have children with a placenta eating, volcano worshipping meshuggannah.

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Apr 18 2006, 10:01 AM)
(off topic) Interesting, no one is suggesting that he isnt a good actor because of his goofiness, just that he's kinda crazy.

Right, and I didn't say anyone claimed he wasn't a good actor anymore either.

No one in this thread has made the ridiculous argument that one shouldn't see a movie with Tom Cruise because of his personal life. Enter the Goobmeister, who comes to Cruise's defense against attacks that were never made nor suggested.

Really??? Sorry, I guess I misread the following statements? confused13.gif

QUOTE (anagramking)
(I wonder if I can ever watch a Cruise movie without thinking about what he is today. I'll never forget Risky Business or Color of Money, but I have to wonder whether I am going to be able to watch anything by him, should I choose to, without these biases in my mind. 

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey)

Really, it's not such an outrageous assumption to say that people are turned off to him to the point that they wouldn't see his movies anymore. It was talked about in the news endlessly whether his antics would effect grosses to War of the Worlds, and I've heard the same thing mentioned about Mission Impossible III. The fact that anagramking and Jack Aubrey would consider not seeing his movies (which seems to be suggested above) is not I'm sure different than the attitude that a LOT of people have about Tom Cruise these days. There's nothing wrong with that, I'm just saying that I personally wouldn't let it keep me from seeing what looked like a really good movie from someone I consider to be a really great actor. That's all. I agree that he's kind of crazy too, btw. My wife and I watch him on interviews on tv, and we're like wtf.gif

BTW, I just noticed that the quotes above from anagramking and Jack are from July, 2005! ohmy.gif

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 18 2006, 02:04 PM)
(off topic) Interesting, no one is suggesting that he isnt a good actor because of his goofiness, just that he's kinda crazy.

No one in this thread has made the ridiculous argument that one shouldn't see a movie with Tom Cruise because of his personal life. Enter the Goobmeister, who comes to Cruise's defense against attacks that were never made nor suggested.

QUOTE (anagramking)
(I wonder if I can ever watch a Cruise movie without thinking about what he is today. I'll never forget Risky Business or Color of Money, but I have to wonder whether I am going to be able to watch anything by him, should I choose to, without these biases in my mind. 

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey)

Really, it's not such an outrageous assumption to say that people are turned off to him to the point that they wouldn't see his movies anymore. It was talked about in the news endlessly whether his antics would effect grosses to War of the Worlds, and I've heard the same thing mentioned about Mission Impossible III. The fact that anagramking and Jack Aubrey would consider not seeing his movies (which seems to be suggested above) is not I'm sure different than the attitude that a LOT of people have about Tom Cruise these days. There's nothing wrong with that, I'm just saying that I personally wouldn't let it keep me from seeing what looked like a really good movie from someone I consider to be a really great actor. That's all. I agree that he's kind of crazy too, btw. My wife and I watch him on interviews on tv, and we're like wtf.gif

BTW, I just noticed that the quotes above from anagramking and Jack are from July, 2005! ohmy.gif

AK didn't say squat about Cruise's acting skills, neither did I in agreeing with him. What I mean is that if you want to see a Cruise movie, then go for it, I hope you have a good time. Should I see one of his movies, I am not sure if I'll be able to stop myself from thinking about what a kook he is. But if Cruise makes a movie that I want to see, then I'll see it. It would behoove you to pay more careful attention to what people post and try not to let preconceived notions color your interpretations. Just some friendly advice.

http://www.tomcruiseisnuts.com/images/scream1.gif

WOW ! wacko.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Apr 18 2006, 11:39 AM)

QUOTE (anagramking)

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey)

AK didn't say squat about Cruise's acting skills, neither did I in agreeing with him. What I mean is that if you want to see a Cruise movie, then go for it, I hope you have a good time. Should I see one of his movies, I am not sure if I'll be able to stop myself from thinking about what a kook he is. But if Cruise makes a movie that I want to see, then I'll see it. It would behoove you to pay more careful attention to what people post and try not to let preconceived notions color your interpretations. Just some friendly advice.

Well please read my post more carefully too, cause I never said anything about anyone commenting on his acting skills. I'm just saying that becuase he's a brilliant actor and he hasn't done anything really harmful other than just act kind of nuts, I wouldn't let that stop me from seeing any of his movies if they looked appealing.

http://www.ninthfloor.com/photo/misc/cruise/minority_report.jpg

im nuts huh ! ill show you nuts !

http://www.ninthfloor.com/photo/misc/cruise/vanilla_sky3.jpg

your gonna eat what ?

http://www.ninthfloor.com/photo/misc/cruise/a_few_good_men.jpg

you want the truth , im nuts . you cant handle the truth ! just go see my new movie mi3 coming soon.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 18 2006, 02:44 PM)

QUOTE (anagramking)

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey)

Well please read my post more carefully too, cause I never said anything about anyone commenting on his acting skills. I'm just saying that becuase he's a brilliant actor and he hasn't done anything really harmful other than just act kind of nuts, I wouldn't let that stop me from seeing any of his movies if they looked appealing.

Right, I'm sorry that I said that. I think your and Pedro's quotes at the top kind of ran together in my head and came out all muddled. Oops.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Apr 18 2006, 12:16 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 18 2006, 02:44 PM)

QUOTE (anagramking)

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey)

Right, I'm sorry that I said that. I think your and Pedro's quotes at the top kind of ran together in my head and came out all muddled. Oops.

np trink39.gif

Here, I will settle this debate.

Tom Cruise's beliefs in scientology and life has decreased his acting skills detrementally. I will not watch any Tom Cruise movie anymore until he stops making monologues in the middle of a movie like War Of The Worlds about not taking pills for depression or shouting out the nutritional value of Katie Holme's placenta to people standing around him while hes running away from something in MI:3. It is a well known fact that if you believe in something that someone else doesnt believe in, it makes you a bad actor as you are seen as silly to the person watching.

If he continues to speak his mind about his opinions on scientology, I fear his older movies will be infected with this curse of bad acting.