Chicago Review

eshine

Fantastic show - Rush always bring their A-game to Chicago and you could really sense how much fun they were having. They are so far into the tour that the performance is a well oiled machine. Their playing was precise, yet loose and fluid.

Standouts from the first set are The Grand Design and The Analog Kid. What other band does note-for-note renditions of 30 year old material with such freshness and vitality?

Second set was outstanding. I cannot remember a tour where the presentation of new material was so exciting and well received. Clockwork Angels, The Anarchist and Carnies just blew the roof off. Headlong Flight is a show stopping monster of a song, easily the "highlight" of the show.

Neil's soloing was sublime throughout. The decision to separate his solo into three individual pieces was very smart. Adding space for improvisation has really elevated his playing. It's almost impossible to fathom how he does what he does with such intense focus - on top of driving a motorcycle to each gig???

Alex was spot on as well, delivering blistering solos with seemingly effortless ease and drawing thunderous applause. He was jubilant throughout the show and seemed to be having a particularly great evening.

Geddy's playing was typically flawless throughout. He has set such a standard for himself that superb bass performances are pretty much a given.

As for his vocals, I think Geddy Lee has aged into one of the best live singers in rock music. Period.

Watching this show, it really dawned on me what pressure it must be to have the entire production rest on this one instrument?

Harsh critics of Ged's vocal on this and other boards just have it wrong. His vocal ability at age 59 is far from a detriment to the band, but rather one of their greatest assets and he uses it with tremendous skill.

Sure, age has taken away some of that polished "sheen" - but it's minor. His tone and pitch are amazingly consistent and the power of his delivery is undeniable - again, Headlong Flight being a vocal triumph. Softer songs like Halo effect, The Pass and The Garden showcase some of the best live "singing" he has ever done, commanding the attention of the entire arena. No easy task.

And of course, there was the presentation of a certain Mr. Stanley :) Truly an awesome and unforgettable experience. As a proud Chicagoan and Rush fanatic you couldn't ask for more.

As this tour winds down, I see another album and tour in the future as a total inevitability. They are in a great place personally, creatively, and are in fantastic physical shape.

Heading to Summerfest for my last show of this incredible tour on the 4th of July - will be surrounded by friends and family in celebration.

This moment may be brief, but it can be so bright :)

• Like 6

Totally agree about the reception of the new material. And Headlong Flight was the highlight of the show.
  • Like 1

Great review, thank you. Hearing them play live never gets old. I thought the acoustics were kind of lousy during the first set, but second half was much better. I really love HF but I almost think CARNIES was better....that is a monster of a song live . 2112 was a BLAST. The FMBA video screens suck on either side of the stage (by sections 101,105)....they are so dark, low definition....just terrible. Looking forward to Milwaukee next week!!

Totally agree about the reception of the new material. And Headlong Flight was the highlight of the show.

Headlong Flight has become the new live favorite.

I'll call it a sleeper, because casual fans might not know it by name yet -- but it rocks live. People love it.

Great review -- great show.

Lord Stanley and his cup-- classic RUSH!!!

It was a great show indeed. Definitely a night to remember. I would have bet $100 that Geddy would have either sang "White Sox cap" or "Black Hawks cap" during Analog Kid, but alas he stuck to the original lyrics.

An awesome show. And I must say the upgraded seats I got from TM were great. It turns out they were in the VIP Nation section, which was a bonus.

The lawn was shut down. I wonder what they might have done with anyone who bought lawn seats from Stub Hub (the prices were obscene).

As for his vocals, I think Geddy Lee has aged into one of the best live singers in rock music. Period.

Watching this show, it really dawned on me what pressure it must be to have the entire production rest on this one instrument?

Harsh critics of Ged's vocal on this and other boards just have it wrong. His vocal ability at age 59 is far from a detriment to the band, but rather one of their greatest assets and he uses it with tremendous skill.

Sure, age has taken away some of that polished "sheen" - but it's minor. His tone and pitch are amazingly consistent and the power of his delivery is undeniable - again, Headlong Flight being a vocal triumph. Softer songs like Halo effect, The Pass and The Garden showcase some of the best live "singing" he has ever done, commanding the attention of the entire arena. No easy task.

Thank you for your eloquent and incisive comments about Geddy's voice. Seriously. There's nothing in Rush fandom that makes me sadder than the refusal of some to recognise that just because Geddy "can't sing like he used to" doesn't for one second mean that he can't still sing WELL. Wonderfully, evocatively well! This tour has comprehensively reinforced my awe of what he has accomplished in preserving his vocal instrument and adapting his singing style to its current strengths and weaknesses. I love Geddy's modern voice like I would love a person, and it's great to see it acknowledged and praised rather than criticised or excused.

Yes. God, yes. :rush:

• Like 2

Thank you for your eloquent and incisive comments about Geddy's voice. Seriously. There's nothing in Rush fandom that makes me sadder than the refusal of some to recognise that just because Geddy "can't sing like he used to" doesn't for one second mean that he can't still sing WELL. Wonderfully, evocatively well! This tour has comprehensively reinforced my awe of what he has accomplished in preserving his vocal instrument and adapting his singing style to its current strengths and weaknesses. I love Geddy's modern voice like I would love a person, and it's great to see it acknowledged and praised rather than criticised or excused.

Yes. God, yes. :rush:

Yes thank you indeed. When Geddy sings those slightly deeper notes the vibrations hit me right in the heart.

• Like 1

Thanks for the review. I agree with everything you said. I've noticed that as this tour has gone on Geddys voice has deteriorated a little bit. He's showing a bit more strain than he did the beginning. But he's still doing a great job.

I saw Rush three times on this tour and the third time I heard "Headlong Flight" was the best. In a way, it reminds me of "By-Tor and the Snow Dog". It's an epic of musical chops. Old Rush adherents are really missing out because of their attitude.

• Like 1

Thanks for your review; sounds like it was an awesome show for you! And I'll also add my thanks for your thoughts on Geddy's singing; you're right, he has such a great tone and power and is truly a remarkable live singer. I've been listening to many various bootlegs from over the past 40 years, and Geddy just about always nails it, each and every single time. I'll say this word again: Geddy is truly a remarkable man.

And happy to hear that the boys seemed to be having lots of fun! This is one of my favourite parts of a show - seeing the boys laughing and having a good time. Good humour is infectious!

Headlong Flight has become the new live favorite.

I'll call it a sleeper, because casual fans might not know it by name yet -- but it rocks live. People love it.

Great review -- great show.

Lord Stanley and his cup-- classic RUSH!!!

I really have to agree with you here. Headlong flight just plain old kicks ass live. It's akin to the way they play 2112 and Freewill live, so much energy and ghusto(to use a really awful and dated 70s word). We saw the Milwaukee show tonight, because my lifelong ban of the World Music Hellhole will never be lifted. When we saw them at the UC last year, the first set was rather quiet, and the second was a bit louder. Tonight's Milwaukee show was earsplitting loud, like from the Signals era back in Rosemont. My ears are still hissing 3 hours later. Honestly, this was the best show in two decades as far as their performance and energy. Also, that female violinist was just way too damn hot :drool: