What RUSH album or song got you hooked?

I was born into Rush. My dad saw them for the first time in 1976 on the Fly By Night tour. He was in a band. He played bass. A Rickenbacker. You get the idea. I nearly saw them for the first time in the womb but my mother was so close to her due date that she didn't go for fear of going into labor during the show.

To answer the question directly I'd have to give most of the credit to Red Barchetta and Subdivisons. My parents tell me that when I was a year old they couldn't leave the house for work in the morning without playing me Red Barchetta or I went nuts and threw a fit. As far as Subdivisions goes, I was three years old when Signals came out and I still remember my father walking through the door with the LP and hearing the song for the first time. I know that's hard to believe but it's true.

• Like 3

I've been lurking on these boards for ever, this is my first post. As a teenager I saw Rush open for Kiss at the Michigan Palace in Detroit. Then at some point I heard Circumstances on WRIF Detroit's classic Rock station. It seriously blew me away and I have loved Rush ever since. Rock on! :dweez:

Welcome!

And Circumstances is a great song. One of my favorites. I love the changes in that song.

Well, being blonde I've made the mistake of telling people it was "Limelight" in other threads but that's not true, it was actually The Spirit of Radio. Edited by gangsterfurious
  • Like 1

In 2007 I was 10 years old and saw the Chronicles DVD, and seeing Red Sector A did it for me. That and The Body Electric are still my favorite songs and Grace Under Pressure is my favorite album ever!
  • Like 1

I've been a fan for only 5 years, since I was 10. Back in 2008, a new record store opened down the road from where I lived. They had Rush's debut album, and having heard of them previously, I decided to buy it. I completely fell in love with them, my favorite song off that album being In the Mood. Tomorrow night I'm finally seeing them live for the first time :wub:
  • Like 2

In 2007 I was 10 years old and saw the Chronicles DVD, and seeing Red Sector A did it for me. That and The Body Electric are still my favorite songs and Grace Under Pressure is my favorite album ever!

YES.

GUP is my all time fave Rush album! The Body Electric is my fave track off of it ;)

REALLY hoping I see it at Summerfest. aghhhhh.......

• Like 1

I've been a fan for only 5 years, since I was 10. Back in 2008, a new record store opened down the road from where I lived. They had Rush's debut album, and having heard of them previously, I decided to buy it. I completely fell in love with them, my favorite song off that album being In the Mood. Tomorrow night I'm finally seeing them live for the first time :wub:

Have fun! Love meeting young Rush fans lol

I just turned 23, am seeing them for my first time July 4th! You didn't wait as long as I did haha ;)

• Like 1

YES.

GUP is my all time fave Rush album! The Body Electric is my fave track off of it ;)

The Enemy Within is hands down my favorite track from GUP. I love the lyrics in the middle: "Is it living or just existence?" That's such a great line and really inspires me to live life and not be afraid to have fun and take risks. You only live once.

• Like 2

'Anthem' back around 1976- I was in the band room my freshman year, and a kid named Marc Pratt put it on . I bought RUSH ARCHIVES as soon as I could, and from there on, I was playing and performing the songs on my guitar.

Definitely GUP for me. I always liked what I heard on the radio from Rush but it wasn't until I heard Distant Early Warning followed by an announcement that Rush was coming to Market Square Arena(Indy) that the fandom took roots. I made a bet with my Mom that if I broke the High School record in the mile at the county meet that she would buy us all Rush tickets. Needless to say I broke the record and the rest is history. Started with MP and GUP and progressed steadily through the Rush catalog as finances would allow back then. Became a drummer soon after(late 1984) and did nothing the first few years but play along to the Rush catalog all the time. To this day even when I'm playing other styles of music people can usually still pick out the Peart influence. I owe a great debt to the bands musical influence.

Interesting how many of you found them "late"...(and some of you aren't exactly kids) I had a friend that wasn't impressed for the longest time, and it REALLY took him a LONG while to get into them. (read back a page, I got into them in 1976)

I think it was about a year after Signals came out that he FINALLY decided that this was a band to dig into deeper. I took him to the GuP concert in Philly that year (which actually happened to be my FIRST live experience after all those years) and he was OVER THE TOP hooked!

I talked to him recently, and he's not a fan anymore...Not sure what he's into, but he didn't even know they were still touring! (sad)

I was 10 my friend introduced me to 2112 then I found Fly by night Hooked ever since but so glad I finally started seeing them live I haven't missed a tour since I started seeing them except the second leg of Time Machine because I was on bed rest with my daughter

Listening to the live version of In the End off the ATWAS album back in 1978 when I was 15, then listened to Fly by Night studio version before school started in the library off the phonograph with headphones! Then saw them in Chicago at Comiskey Park Jam II in 1979 - great memory and concert of being there all day in the mud and all of us rushing to the front of the stage when the beginning synth of 2112 started. I was hooked. Seen them every tour since, including first row on MP tour! Big part of my life.

YES.

The Enemy Within is hands down my favorite track from GUP. I love the lyrics in the middle: "Is it living or just existence?" That's such a great line and really inspires me to live life and not be afraid to have fun and take risks. You only live once.

I love The Enemy Within! Probably the song I have never seen at a show that I would most want to see live (excluding Hemispheres in entirety maybe). I love the bass on it too. So good. And the lyrice. And yes "Is it living or just existence?" is great, lyricly and the way Geddy emphasizes it.

Now it is totally running through my head. GUP time...

Have fun! Love meeting young Rush fans lol

I just turned 23, am seeing them for my first time July 4th! You didn't wait as long as I did haha ;)

I got into RUSh when I was 15. 38 now and my love for them has grown non stop since 15. Agreed it is great to meet new and young rush fans. In my old age I splurge and get tickets right up front. One thing I always do is turn around all look at all the fans I can see. I love seeing young people everywhere, 23, 15, and even younger, often singing along to songs written decades before they were born. RUSH fans, from their first time in diapers, to their second time in diapers. I don't think any other band in history can say that. Thanks youngins out there, for keeping Rush alive and touring, pass it on...

• Like 1

2112, Red Barchetta, Tom Sawyer, Limelight and YYZ. I'm a bit of a gamer and I played Guitar Hero a lot. However, on the game Warriors of Rock, one of the levels was based around 2112, with each of the seven chapters having the opening taken directly from the album and read by the band (although the seventh didn't have an opening). Then zi downloaded the Rush pack with Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta and Limelight in it,before I found the Smash Hits game, which had YYZ on it
  • Like 1

A online friend of mine recommended Rush, since I was into prog rock. I took Test For Echo out of the library, and was stunned by it. I went out and purchased each album on CD after that. It was 1999.