Vapor Trails

GeddyLeeFender

I'm glad you agree that CP's songs are far superior to that of RTB. :yes:

Sometimes it seems that people will never see the light, and I'm glad you finally have. :cheers:

If this is backwards day, I agree. I think...I get the rules of backwards day mixed up sometimes.

I find that most of the people who don't like Vapor Trails don't like heavy metal. It is a heavy metal album after all. The people who don't like it are either 40ish men who have turned old and who's ear hurt when the volume goes above 3 (goober), pseudo blues-loving trendy bitches who don't like anything heavier than Muse (Sheldon Cooper AKA Lonestar Boogie) and ratfink bandwagoning little fecal freaks who think Signals and Grace Under Pressure are the best Rush albums (Goober).

These people cannot be taken seriously and should be dumped in the ocean as shark bait. If you feel sorry for them then you can take out a rifle and blast them out of the water before the shark finishes them. Don't feel sorry for Goober though he's an illuminati thug!

fecal freaks? :unsure:

i don't know if it's because i'm generally not into heavy metal or not. i LOVED heavy metal when I was a teenager. I still love Kiss, Deep Purple, old Van Halen, occasionally some Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, etc. when I'm in the mood. I love Zeppelin. I have no problem with an album being heavy, whether it's hard rock or outright heavy metal. A lot of Clockwork Angels is REALLY heavy and I love that album. What I don't love is shitty music (probably because I'm in my 40's :P), and VT is a shitty album. Is that what you meant by fecal freaks? ;)

Signals used to be my fave album, but more recently it's Hemispheres. GUP is way up there, but probably comes in 5th or 6th.

I ripped that off from the film "Things to do in Denver When You're Dead", starring Andy Garcia, Christopher Walken, Christopher Lloyd, Jack Warden, Steve Buscemi, Treat Williams and William Forsythe.

I find that most of the people who don't like Vapor Trails don't like heavy metal. It is a heavy metal album after all. The people who don't like it are either 40ish men who have turned old and who's ear hurt when the volume goes above 3 (goober), pseudo blues-loving trendy bitches who don't like anything heavier than Muse (Sheldon Cooper AKA Lonestar Boogie) and ratfink bandwagoning little fecal freaks who think Signals and Grace Under Pressure are the best Rush albums (Goober).

These people cannot be taken seriously and should be dumped in the ocean as shark bait. If you feel sorry for them then you can take out a rifle and blast them out of the water before the shark finishes them. Don't feel sorry for Goober though he's an illuminati thug!

fecal freaks? :unsure:

i don't know if it's because i'm generally not into heavy metal or not. i LOVED heavy metal when I was a teenager. I still love Kiss, Deep Purple, old Van Halen, occasionally some Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, etc. when I'm in the mood. I love Zeppelin. I have no problem with an album being heavy, whether it's hard rock or outright heavy metal. A lot of Clockwork Angels is REALLY heavy and I love that album. What I don't love is shitty music (probably because I'm in my 40's :P), and VT is a shitty album. Is that what you meant by fecal freaks? ;)

Signals used to be my fave album, but more recently it's Hemispheres. GUP is way up there, but probably comes in 5th or 6th.

I ripped that off from the film "Things to do in Denver When You're Dead", starring Andy Garcia, Christopher Walken, Christopher Lloyd, Jack Warden, Steve Buscemi, Treat Williams and William Forsythe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX7mBpECgto&hd=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3MMUSR1s7s&hd=1

Great Warren Zevon song, too. (the song came first)

http://www. youtube.com/watch?v=sQOyoPALBrE

It might sound dated or too Rupert Hine-ish light now, but RTB and most of CP were the last two Rush albums that I find listenable pretty much start to end. Every album after that I'm skipping around to only hear a handful of songs on each. And in the case of Snooze and Snores aka Snakes and Arrows, one maybe two songs if I'm feeling generous. That album has no idea how close it came to being thrown out of my car window at 60 mph in frustration.

After I stumbled upon How It Is some days ago I thought to myself "why not try and give Vapor Trails a go?"

And so I did. And I heard that it was good! :notworthy:

It hasn't been an album I've listened too the last couple of years, but things can still grow on you in the meantime. The album has some huge balls, the lyrics are heartfelt and Stars Look Down has some incredible singing on it ("What is the meaning of this?").

This is a real good example of why I wouldn't cut any song from any album they've made. There may be some years where I avoid certain songs in their catalog, but eventually the tables get turned and the balance get shifted. That way Rush will never be boring or stale to me.

I'm throwing in one of these for good measure: :finbar: ;)

• Like 2

After I stumbled upon How It Is some days ago I thought to myself "why not try and give Vapor Trails a go?"

It hasn't been an album I've listened too the last couple of years, but things can still grow on you in the meantime. The album has some huge balls, the lyrics are heartfelt and Stars Look Down has some incredible singing on it ("What is the meaning of this?").

This is a real good example of why I wouldn't cut any song from any album they've made. There may be some years where I avoid certain songs in their catalog, but eventually the tables get turned and the balance get shifted. That way Rush will never be boring or stale to me.

I am feeling you and others which has caused me to do the same thing. Sorry Goob but I may be shifting here. Stay tuned.

• Like 1

I am feeling you and others which has caused me to do the same thing. Sorry Goob but I may be shifting here. Stay tuned.

Don't have to apologize to me. You can like any album you want to, no matter how crappy it is. :P

Goobs, what if someone came up to you right now, looked you straight in the eye and told you Vapor Trail was their absolute favorite RUSH album?

I'd probably say, "Excuse me? Have we met? I'm Gary." :P

Seriously though, if this happened and it was someone I knew. I don't know, I might say something like "ok" or "that's nice."

It's really funny that people make huge assumptions about me based on my postings in here. Some would be very surprised that I'm not the person they think I am. If that's your favorite Rush album, that's just dandy. :P

looks like we're drifting towards an "I hate T4E" thread as well!

For the record (bad pun), I like Half the World, The Color of Right, Limbo, Totem, Resist, and Virtuality. Classics? nope. But I think if you put them on Counterparts and took off "The Speed of Love", "Everyday Glory", and "Nobody's Hero", you'd have a killer album.

Counterechos? Anyone?

Clem

Yes, just get rid of TFE and leave CP alone, I like it the way it is.

Agreed with Both, CP should be left alone, but Speed of Love should be burned at the Stake! :blaze:

Wow—that's the harsh take. I agree with you though. The best part of that song is the sound of the bell on Neil's ride cymbal during the chorus

2 user(s) are reading this topic 1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

SpeedOfLove

:hi:

I did not like SoL for a number of years, but I grew to like it. It totally fits the theme of the album. So the lyrics can be clunky. I got over it. I like it.

Wow, you can get over the lyrics to Speed of Love but not those of Half the World. :facepalm:

Huuwhaa? You're confuzzed. I think half the world is a really stong song, music and lyrics. People who complain about the repeating lyrics, well, it's a devise only used by Rush twice in like 160+ songs. A ridiculous gripe IMO. Quite well used by Neil both times.

I don't understand how because he only used the infinitely repeating lyric technique twice in 160+ songs that some logic switch is supposed to switch on in my head and suddenly the song becomes bearable. Even one time was one too many.

You don't understand because your logic switch rusted in the off position from never being turned on. :syrinx:

I just thought it was a funny argument. He's only done it twice, so it's ok! :P

I think it's funny that earlier in this thread, someone said they liked the lyrics from Test For Echo, and you thought that quoting lyrics from Test For Echo would prove something to them :LOL:

I don't remember if it worked exactly in that sequence of events (though God knows you'll probably research the history), but definitely one of the most effective way to show the ridiculousness of SOME of the lyrics on that song and that album is to quote them.

Actually, I'm not going to research the history, at least not at the moment :LOL: But I do remember that the person was referring to the lyrics on the album in general, and that you thought that quoting the entire lyrics from THREE of the songs would prove something. I did find it amusing! ;)

I actually didn't quote the entire lyrics from any song, only the notably poor quality ones. ;)

Later on I quoted the lyrics from Half the World in their entirety, but only to show how many damn times they say the words Half the World.

And while I think T4E is in general a fairly weak album without standout tracks, it's not an outright BAD album, just not particularly good by Rush standards, and I never find myself playing it or wanting to play it. The years of curiosity where I went, "well maybe if I just give it ONE more shot it will finally click" have passed.

GM is basically right. By quoting the lyrics on T4E you made me think, well, if this is the worst on the album it proves my point that CP's lyrics are worse.

CP's lyrics are pretty goshdarn dire :yes: :LOL: They are definitely part of why that album is low on my list. Good music can often overcome bad lyrics, but on Counterparts most of the lyrics are just so bad that the adequate but not brilliant music isn't strong enough to overcome them.

I genuinely do understand the argument against Counterparts lyrics. The first three songs have lyrics that are more stripped down than in most of their previous works, although that does seem to fit with the stripped down sound. The lyrics in those songs aren't as deep necessarily as they usually go, but somehow it works. They come off us as kick ass hard rock songs with GREAT sound and production. Then they start tackling more serious issues of love, relationships, sexuality, race, etc. These are subjects that Rush never touched before, at least rarely so overtly. I can see how the lyrics can be construed as somewhat heavy handed or contrived - sometimes they are... but somehow they pull it off and the songs generally speak to me. I'm glad not every Rush album goes in that direction, but Counterparts really worked - it's a special and very solid Rush album.

When you consider that the only 4 Rush albums that I would consider mediocre or bad are Presto, RTB, T4E & VT, Counterparts was a shining beacon right in the middle of their weakest period. It was an enormous comeback album, and showed they still had some of the ©old fire in them after two weaker albums. I was amazed when they pulled off yet another comeback with S&A and then turned it up a notch or three with CA.

"Come back album"? I guess they came back to poor sales and poor music after RtB bucked they trend. And S&A isn't as good as any of those, except maybe Presto.

S&A wasn't perfect, but it was their best album in 14 years by a very long shot. The first three songs and the instrumentals alone are worth the price of admission, even though the album is inconsistent.

And why on earth do you keep harping on sales as any kind of baromerter of quality of music? RTB got lucky - it had some songs really hit big on mainstream rock radio. I don't remember what else was going on with music at the time, but the timing was right and Rush got a bump in album sales. It sure as hell wasn't due to the quality of the music on that album as a whole because some of those songs are REALLY weak *cough* face up heresy neurotica the big wheel you bet your life *cough*.

Counterparts was a couple of years later and by then grunge ruled the land. CP was actually Rush's response to grunge, but for whatever reason it didn't sell quite as many copies. Most people with functioning ears would agree that CP is the FAR superior album. It's not even close.

CP is the best album between 1989-2007.

Presto wasn't bad.

RTB also wasn't bad. I liked Ghost of a Chance. And Bravado. And hated the rap!

I'm saying CP and CA are a toss up.

• Like 1

looks like we're drifting towards an "I hate T4E" thread as well!

For the record (bad pun), I like Half the World, The Color of Right, Limbo, Totem, Resist, and Virtuality. Classics? nope. But I think if you put them on Counterparts and took off "The Speed of Love", "Everyday Glory", and "Nobody's Hero", you'd have a killer album.

Counterechos? Anyone?

Clem

Yes, just get rid of TFE and leave CP alone, I like it the way it is.

Agreed with Both, CP should be left alone, but Speed of Love should be burned at the Stake! :blaze:

Wow—that's the harsh take. I agree with you though. The best part of that song is the sound of the bell on Neil's ride cymbal during the chorus

2 user(s) are reading this topic 1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

SpeedOfLove

:hi:

I did not like SoL for a number of years, but I grew to like it. It totally fits the theme of the album. So the lyrics can be clunky. I got over it. I like it.

Wow, you can get over the lyrics to Speed of Love but not those of Half the World. :facepalm:

Huuwhaa? You're confuzzed. I think half the world is a really stong song, music and lyrics. People who complain about the repeating lyrics, well, it's a devise only used by Rush twice in like 160+ songs. A ridiculous gripe IMO. Quite well used by Neil both times.

I don't understand how because he only used the infinitely repeating lyric technique twice in 160+ songs that some logic switch is supposed to switch on in my head and suddenly the song becomes bearable. Even one time was one too many.

You don't understand because your logic switch rusted in the off position from never being turned on. :syrinx:

I just thought it was a funny argument. He's only done it twice, so it's ok! :P

I think it's funny that earlier in this thread, someone said they liked the lyrics from Test For Echo, and you thought that quoting lyrics from Test For Echo would prove something to them :LOL:

I don't remember if it worked exactly in that sequence of events (though God knows you'll probably research the history), but definitely one of the most effective way to show the ridiculousness of SOME of the lyrics on that song and that album is to quote them.

Actually, I'm not going to research the history, at least not at the moment :LOL: But I do remember that the person was referring to the lyrics on the album in general, and that you thought that quoting the entire lyrics from THREE of the songs would prove something. I did find it amusing! ;)

I actually didn't quote the entire lyrics from any song, only the notably poor quality ones. ;)

Later on I quoted the lyrics from Half the World in their entirety, but only to show how many damn times they say the words Half the World.

And while I think T4E is in general a fairly weak album without standout tracks, it's not an outright BAD album, just not particularly good by Rush standards, and I never find myself playing it or wanting to play it. The years of curiosity where I went, "well maybe if I just give it ONE more shot it will finally click" have passed.

GM is basically right. By quoting the lyrics on T4E you made me think, well, if this is the worst on the album it proves my point that CP's lyrics are worse.

CP's lyrics are pretty goshdarn dire :yes: :LOL: They are definitely part of why that album is low on my list. Good music can often overcome bad lyrics, but on Counterparts most of the lyrics are just so bad that the adequate but not brilliant music isn't strong enough to overcome them.

I genuinely do understand the argument against Counterparts lyrics. The first three songs have lyrics that are more stripped down than in most of their previous works, although that does seem to fit with the stripped down sound. The lyrics in those songs aren't as deep necessarily as they usually go, but somehow it works. They come off us as kick ass hard rock songs with GREAT sound and production. Then they start tackling more serious issues of love, relationships, sexuality, race, etc. These are subjects that Rush never touched before, at least rarely so overtly. I can see how the lyrics can be construed as somewhat heavy handed or contrived - sometimes they are... but somehow they pull it off and the songs generally speak to me. I'm glad not every Rush album goes in that direction, but Counterparts really worked - it's a special and very solid Rush album.

When you consider that the only 4 Rush albums that I would consider mediocre or bad are Presto, RTB, T4E & VT, Counterparts was a shining beacon right in the middle of their weakest period. It was an enormous comeback album, and showed they still had some of the ©old fire in them after two weaker albums. I was amazed when they pulled off yet another comeback with S&A and then turned it up a notch or three with CA.

"Come back album"? I guess they came back to poor sales and poor music after RtB bucked they trend. And S&A isn't as good as any of those, except maybe Presto.

S&A wasn't perfect, but it was their best album in 14 years by a very long shot. The first three songs and the instrumentals alone are worth the price of admission, even though the album is inconsistent.

And why on earth do you keep harping on sales as any kind of baromerter of quality of music? RTB got lucky - it had some songs really hit big on mainstream rock radio. I don't remember what else was going on with music at the time, but the timing was right and Rush got a bump in album sales. It sure as hell wasn't due to the quality of the music on that album as a whole because some of those songs are REALLY weak *cough* face up heresy neurotica the big wheel you bet your life *cough*.

Counterparts was a couple of years later and by then grunge ruled the land. CP was actually Rush's response to grunge, but for whatever reason it didn't sell quite as many copies. Most people with functioning ears would agree that CP is the FAR superior album. It's not even close.

CP is the best album between 1989-2007.

Presto wasn't bad.

RTB also wasn't bad. I liked Ghost of a Chance. And Bravado. And hated the rap!

I'm saying CP and CA are a toss up.

Well I agree with just about everything here except that CP and CA are a toss up. There is no way that in this given or in another universe will CP best CA. CA is a much more focused, better written, concise and inspiring album. The only thing that CP might best it in is in its overall sound quality. That's it. :codger:

• Like 1