Honestly

ShowgunSam

Before I begin, know that this is not a hate thread in any shape, form, or fashion, so "hold your fire," my bretheren...

There's no denying that the Clockwork Angels tour has been a rousing success in North America and far beyond, thus far. Saw them for the 5th time in Atlanta last November and was blown away, duh. The boys are, once again, performing at their pinnacle every night... almost. I'll occasionally stumble on the Rush Is A Band site and link myself to recent shows to sort of keep tabs on how the band is performing, audiences, etc.

Now, I may be one of a very small percentage that's noticing this, but as of late, meaning the last couple of months, Geddy's cords must have developed some serious strain (I know, here we go again, right?). I mean, the guy is 60 and he's pulling off 99 percent of their songs in standard tuning... that in itself IS insane. BUT by pulling off, I mean barely scraping by on a lot of them. Personally I contribute that, not exclusively to age, but to the fact that they've toured pretty much non-stop since '07. And if you remember, he sounded outstanding on S&A.

The other thing I've noticed from watching many of these videos is that Lerxt is probably making more mistakes on this tour than I've ever seen before. Believe me when I say I understand that these kinds of things are inevitable for any live performance, but I have to be honest, I'm starting to think Al has got something going on with his hands. I remember him mentioning that he had Psoriasis on the Boys in Brazil documentary. Other than that, I have nothing else to attribute it to. It's my hope that the boys take some well-deserved time off and I'm not talking about going straight back into the studio and touring again sometime after. I'm talking a two-year minimum, here. I don't just think they deserve it, they NEED it. No shame, whatsoever. They'll still come back full-force, kicking ass, taking names, and probably do so with more female fans than you could shake a stick at.

What say you on all this? Again, please try not to flame me, as I'm only making the friendliest of observations here.

I'm with you. I have noticed both, too. I think being 60 and the vigors of touring are really affecting Geddy. Thank God he is still killing the bass, though.

I attribute Alex's fumbling to fat fingers.

Again - I am not complaining. We are super lucky that they are still touring at 60...We just have to expect there will be some gradual degradation of their awesomeness as the continue to age.

If anything recently should show us how awesome they are is the way the "Foos" butchered 2112...

I thought that Geddy's voice sounded rough when I saw them in Baltimore (4/22/11) on the Time Machine tour. I thought the end was near. But he sounded great at Bristow, VA (9/9/12) for Clockwork Angels and at Atlantic City (5/11/13). As far as Alex, I haven't noticed anything with his playing.

I'm sure the guys are realistic with themselves and will do what they need to do. Why do you think two years is necessary?

Oh, and honestly, a two year break won't happen. They'll probably go six months max on the vaca before Geddy and Alex get the itch to start writing the next album. :)
  • Like 2

I think it is hit or miss. I always think Geddy sounds great in person - probably because my singing at the top of my lungs is masking his imperfections out.

I also think great is a relative term. He sounds great for a 60 year old man to me. He is not the Geddy of the late 80's and 90's when I thought he was in top form.

Yes - nit picking. I am just super happy that he is still singing!

I thought that Geddy's voice sounded rough when I saw them in Baltimore (4/22/11) on the Time Machine tour. I thought the end was near. But he sounded great at Bristow, VA (9/9/12) for Clockwork Angels and at Atlantic City (5/11/13). As far as Alex, I haven't noticed anything with his playing.

I'm sure the guys are realistic with themselves and will do what they need to do. Why do you think two years is necessary?

Oddly, I thought that he sounded at the top of his game in Baltimore, OK in Bristow, and OK in Charlotte too. My son who was with me at all three agreed. I attributed that to his vocal chords strengthening during the tour. Maybe the sound where one sits has something to do w/ it in a minor way. Bristow's acoustics aren't very good to begin with. Not big on the outdoor arena thing.

As has already been expressed, the fact that they're still touring as they are should be considered short of a miracle in many ways;

First, that the original (viable that is) trio is still even together. How many bands perform under a band name these days w/ only one or two original band members, and in some cases, like Journey, Boston, Foreigner, etc., not even w/ the original vocalist and many still not even w/ the same lead guitarist. Who cares who's on bass in most of those bands as just as with drums, unlike Rush, they're simply there for time-keeping.

Secondly, that the overall shows, at least IMO, have improved and seem to keep improving. The strings addition is great. Maybe this is the band and its staff realizing that better shows hide some of the expected downturn in other areas. If so, great and insightful thinking.

Thirdly, that they're even still touring and enjoy it. Their interaction w/ the audience is sincere and it really heightens the experience. How many bands have we all seen at one point or another that used to be among our favorites, but then went to "one show too many" and had it ruin our memories of a good band. Not so here, eh.

Fourth, IMO the renditions of their songs have gotten "less live sounding" in a good way. ... if that makes any sense.

Fifth, how many bands their age and w/ their history, or a fraction of it, are still putting out relevant albums? I don't know of one. Granted, not too many bands can claim their history, but still, you get the point. CA's is arguably their best album as albums go. 2112 and Moving Pics are also contenders, but in different ways. This one really showed off the creative side of the band again and in different ways.

Here's hopin' that they do one more tour. I do think that they need to include every single instrumental tune on their next tour tho, which would help Geddy. Every one of the instrumentals tunes that I'm aware of is fantastic in its own right anyway.

The obvious ones are LS and YYZ, the next ones are TMMB, Leave that Thing Alone, and Where's My Thing, and then there are Broon's Bane, Limbo, and Hope. All excellent. We can all make our preferred set-lists otherwise, but most of us would go see a show of 15 tunes for two hours just to see them play.

Edited by Wingmaster

Here's an idea, don't watch so many videos from the tour then you won't notice the mistakes. Out of sight, out of mind ;)

Exactly. And find for me a musician that makes no mistakes in three hours of live playing on a tour w/ what, 50+ venues, and I'll show you one that isn't really playing live.

• Like 1

I agree with this, I thought Geddy sounded ragged on the Time Machine tour (8-5-2010) but great on the CA tour (11-14-2012). It might have helped that the CA tour was the first show after a 10 day break. I think the boys realize they can't do as much as they used to, that is why they take a lot of 10 day breaks and have cut the show length substantially by having ridiculously long and unnecessary (IMHO) intro and outro videos. These really need to go or at least get better.

I think that the exit videos are merely designed to buy time so that they can escape w/o fans following them or people outside getting in their way out. IDK, then again, they have the cops. Edited by Wingmaster
  • Like 3

To be honest, maybe two years IS a stretch for them and sure, maybe I am nitpicking a bit, but my intentions aren't to point my finger and criticize (like a lot of the older vets on here ;)) . They've built some serious momentum since the start of Time Machine and perhaps I'm just not wanting them to burn out completely. I'm guessing not too many 22-year-olds can say they've seen the greatest live show on Earth five times and, like everyone else, I want to be able to see them for years to come.
  • Like 1

To be honest, maybe two years IS a stretch for them and sure, maybe I am nitpicking a bit, but my intentions aren't to point my finger and criticize (like a lot of the older vets on here ;)) . They've built some serious momentum since the start of Time Machine and perhaps I'm just not wanting them to burn out completely. I'm guessing not too many 22-year-olds can say they've seen the greatest live show on Earth five times and, like everyone else, I want to be able to see them for years to come.

That's a fair concern to have, though. I'm in the same boat as you - I'm too young to have seen them during the 70's-80's-90's and I want to catch them a couple (thousand :D ) more times before they decide to call it quits.

Maybe Geddy has something going on with his throat that he is not aware of, or he is aware and not saying.

As for Alex, it is not uncommon to develop arthritis in your fingers. Maybe he has it. Or in his hands which is probably worse. Or maybe he has developed carpo.

Maybe Geddy has something going on with his throat that he is not aware of, or he is aware and not saying.

As for Alex, it is not uncommon to develop arthritis in your fingers. Maybe he has it. Or in his hands which is probably worse. Or maybe he has developed carpo.

Man that post is waaaaaayyyyy depressing—thanks Lorraine :laughing guy:
  • Like 1

I agree with this, I thought Geddy sounded ragged on the Time Machine tour (8-5-2010) but great on the CA tour (11-14-2012). It might have helped that the CA tour was the first show after a 10 day break. I think the boys realize they can't do as much as they used to, that is why they take a lot of 10 day breaks and have cut the show length substantially by having ridiculously long and unnecessary (IMHO) intro and outro videos. These really need to go or at least get better.

Adding my agreement: I saw Rush on 11/06/31, and I was dismayed at how Geddy's voice, well, didn't sound that great. Also, just a few days ago, I finally added the Time Machine cd to my ipod and definitely notice when one of these songs pops up - Geddy doesn't really sound that great, again. A lot of, what would you call it - pre-yodeling on lots of words? But, at my show on 12/09/30 (if that's the date!), I was surprised at how GOOD Geddy was sounding! He nailed all the high parts, and the pre-yodeling was much more minimized. The bootlegs I've heard from around this time certainly support the notion that Geddy sounds great. I mean, not as effortlessly great as concerts in, say, the 80s, but definitely great in context of yes, his age, and certainly in comparison to the 2011 concert.

If ever I start to get too 'picky', I need to remind myself that the boys are doing an overall amazing show, night after night (well, night after day off after night!). I'm so very lucky to be able to still be in the here-and-now of Rush's existence. While aspects of the show aren't always 100% perfect for us notoriously picky fans, it's still a damn good show and a fabulous experience that I know I will be severely missing when the time comes that the boys hang up guitars, drums, and vocal chords.

And I've said this before, but I would be more than happy with a setlist comprising songs of a more 'middle' register for Geddy - he has a very nice-sounding lower singing voice. Also, bring on the instrumentals, or create an instru-medley with riffs from older songs. I think fans really like seeing the boys having such a good time shredding around, and especially for Geddy to not be chained to the keyboard or microphone.

• Like 1

Adding my agreement: I saw Rush on 11/06/31, and I was dismayed at how Geddy's voice, well, didn't sound that great. Also, just a few days ago, I finally added the Time Machine cd to my ipod and definitely notice when one of these songs pops up - Geddy doesn't really sound that great, again. A lot of, what would you call it - pre-yodeling on lots of words? But, at my show on 12/09/30 (if that's the date!), I was surprised at how GOOD Geddy was sounding! He nailed all the high parts, and the pre-yodeling was much more minimized. The bootlegs I've heard from around this time certainly support the notion that Geddy sounds great. I mean, not as effortlessly great as concerts in, say, the 80s, but definitely great in context of yes, his age, and certainly in comparison to the 2011 concert.

If ever I start to get too 'picky', I need to remind myself that the boys are doing an overall amazing show, night after night (well, night after day off after night!). I'm so very lucky to be able to still be in the here-and-now of Rush's existence. While aspects of the show aren't always 100% perfect for us notoriously picky fans, it's still a damn good show and a fabulous experience that I know I will be severely missing when the time comes that the boys hang up guitars, drums, and vocal chords.

And I've said this before, but I would be more than happy with a setlist comprising songs of a more 'middle' register for Geddy - he has a very nice-sounding lower singing voice. Also, bring on the instrumentals, or create an instru-medley with riffs from older songs. I think fans really like seeing the boys having such a good time shredding around, and especially for Geddy to not be chained to the keyboard or microphone.

That show was 9/31/12 and Geddy sounded a hell of a lot better than on the Time Machine Tour CD. Whenever any songs from that CD come up on my iPod I cringe at Geddy's voice. Yet he sounds so good on Clockwork Angels and the current tour.

That show was 9/31/12 and Geddy sounded a hell of a lot better than on the Time Machine Tour CD. Whenever any songs from that CD come up on my iPod I cringe at Geddy's voice. Yet he sounds so good on Clockwork Angels and the current tour.

He had a cold at the beginning of the 2nd leg of TM and he, basically, never recovered until the took that short break before continuing Clockwork.

Saw them 2 days ago in Cologne and it was one hell of a great performance. All three guys where in top form. (Almost) no symptoms of old age here. :sundog:
  • Like 2

Kerry Livgren, one of may favorite all-time leading guitarists and song writers had a stroke several years ago that has left him unable to play. He's about the same age as the trio.

Can't take anything for granted. Many of the greats aren't even alive and died long before they ever hit 60. We can debate the reasons, but it's irrelevant.

For these guys to be putting on the shows that they do at their age is flat out amazing. When one considers, as is my opinion, that the shows have improved over the years, it's even more astonishing.

• Like 1

Can't take anything for granted. Many of the greats aren't even alive and died long before they ever hit 60. We can debate the reasons, but it's irrelevant.

For these guys to be putting on the shows that they do at their age is flat out amazing. When one considers, as is my opinion, that the shows have improved over the years, it's even more astonishing.

Yes, it is really fantastic that they're still willing and able to go out on such extensive tours at this point in their lives/careers. The same goes for Yes. They even tour within a more tight schedule than Rush does. They're sometimes doing 5 shows per week. And they are even slightly older than this trio is. I'm ever so happy both bands are still out on the road! :cheerleader:

I mean, Geddy didn't sound so hot during "Limelight" on Different Stages. But it ain't no thang, I've seen them 5 times since then and he rocked it.