Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

ShlappinDahBass

Every time Goober gets trolling about Geddy's voice and how Rush should quit because of it, I'm tempted to go into Video Vertigo and start dissecting some of his favourite films, most of which are pretty abysmal from professional filmmaking and/or storytelling perspectives. But then I remember his extreme emotional distress when I criticised the Twilight series, and although that was enjoyable for a small cruel part of me that wants payback for his insistence that I should be deprived of something that sustains my spirit through battles with chronic illness and other pains of life simply because HE doesn't like it anymore, I don't have the kind of energy it takes to sustain a thrill from hurting other people. So instead I just shake my head and wonder about the way that someone who can be such a kind and gentle soul can also be such a pathetic little creep. Oh, and bump the "We Love Geddy's Singing" thread.

Lerxster, thank you for your persistence in calling a troll a troll!

Oh wow, Twilight??? That explains a lot and not in a good way :laughing guy: :goodone:

Anyone know what the last bits of Tom Sawyer were? I would have to imagine they were alluding to some other artist/song? Also, anyone else thing the back-beat Neil and Geddy were keeping behind DMC and Chuck D was pretty cool? Rush usually don't stray too far out of their element so hearing that was, IMO, really fun.
  • Like 2

Out of curiosity, I thought I'd see how Geddy sounded on the S&A tour, where I really started noticing the problem, even though it existed prior to that. I did a google search and the firs thing it came up with was Red Barchetta from the S&A official DVD:

Check out Geddy's singing from 1:26 on through about 3:00 - I didn't listen beyond that. TRY and be objective and just listen just to the vocals. Sometimes he's fine, but at other times it's cringe city. And keep in mind this was 5 or 6 years ago and things have only and will only get worse. The RRHOF performance vocally was worse than this video.

I'll see your S&A Red Barchetta and raise you a Time Machine Freewill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDUXE9-SS4s

AND a HEADLONG FLIGHT....

Kiss my ass, lee can't sing, that's domino mother trucker!

Edited by ThinkingBig
  • Like 1

Out of curiosity, I thought I'd see how Geddy sounded on the S&A tour, where I really started noticing the problem, even though it existed prior to that. I did a google search and the firs thing it came up with was Red Barchetta from the S&A official DVD:

Check out Geddy's singing from 1:26 on through about 3:00 - I didn't listen beyond that. TRY and be objective and just listen just to the vocals. Sometimes he's fine, but at other times it's cringe city. And keep in mind this was 5 or 6 years ago and things have only and will only get worse. The RRHOF performance vocally was worse than this video.

NIce :)

I've watched the show a few times since it first aired. I retract my earlier statement of Geddy holding back and preserving his voice for the tour. He was throwing it all out there. People detract from Geddy's voice and I am confused as to the standard to which our esteemed Dirk is being held. Geddy has always varied the delivery of his vocal phrasing, a natural evolution after playing TS and TSOR for the millionth time. The bass phrasings have evolved too.

The show was fabulous. I love reading about how Neil slowed down Crossroads and the rehearsals with PE and DMC. I really thought that was one of the best parts of the show. And Morello is so freakishly talented. What a player! :notworthy:

But, watching Rush *own* the stage really sets them apart. They have charisma like no other performers that evening.

Not that I'm biased ...

I've watched the show a few times since it first aired. I retract my earlier statement of Geddy holding back and preserving his voice for the tour. He was throwing it all out there. People detract from Geddy's voice and I am confused as to the standard to which our esteemed Dirk is being held. Geddy has always varied the delivery of his vocal phrasing, a natural evolution after playing TS and TSOR for the millionth time. The bass phrasings have evolved too.

The show was fabulous. I love reading about how Neil slowed down Crossroads and the rehearsals with PE and DMC. I really thought that was one of the best parts of the show. And Morello is so freakishly talented. What a player! :notworthy:

But, watching Rush *own* the stage really sets them apart. They have charisma like no other performers that evening.

Not that I'm biased ...

Call me a tin-ear if you like, but I seriously loved that vocal performance, rough spots and all. The ferocity of it stirred joy in my heart and wildness in my soul and made me happy to be alive :yes:

THANK YOU GEDDY :wub: :drool: :notworthy:

• Like 1

Ged is better on this tour than TMT by a long shot. Yes, he isn't as good as he used to be. Yes, the RRHOF performance suffered a bit. It certainly wasn't as good as what I saw on the first leg of CA, both in person and on bootleg DVD. I found it "OK". He hasn't lost as much as Plant has yet, or Dylan (though in fairness Bob's 10 years older).

I know a LOT of people here despise Henley, but he is the one exception to the older guys lose their voices rule from what I've seen. He still brings it note perfect in concert. I will say last time I saw Paul Rodgers perform live (TV about 5 years ago) he was still top notch too.

Ann Wilson sounded GREAT at the RRHOF event, and so did Carole King. No, neither of their voices were quite what they were, but they still sounded really good. Another exception is Justin Hayward of The Moody Blues. I don't know what he sounds like today, but when I saw him about 4 or 5 years ago, he sounded just as good as he did in the 60's, and that's saying something. It is the exception, however - most people when they hit their 60's or start approaching their 60's can't sing at an acceptable level live anymore.

Yeah Goobs, I think the ladies keep their voices better, longer. Ann is still just excellent. Heart is coming here in late August and I will likely go (be the 4th time I've seen them including in 1977).

As for Justin, he was still killer when I saw him in 2000 but when I saw him 2 years ago he sounded pretty poor but he also flat out stated he had a bad cold. It was so bad they skipped "Tuesday Afternoon" and he made a joke about delivering a white guy rap of "Nights in White Satin". They really should've recheduled the date that night because he sounded pretty rough and it's too bad cuz it left a poor taste in my mouth for the band. I also saw 'em in '87 and they were of course, excellent.

Another old guy I saw recently who's voice has held up really well is Jackson Browne. Not a huge fan of him but my cousin really likes him and she took me to the show.

Edited by driventotheedge
  • Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ksdtjtp21Ts

Really though, what's the point - I guess sometimes he can still sing and a lot of the time he really can't.

When I first watched it on regular TV with no stereo sound I thought he was lacking for sure. But after I watched it yesterday on a nice sound system I thought he was great. Personally, I thought he changed it up on purpose and I really enjoyed it! :rush: :geddy:

I thought that Rush should have done Vapor Trails songs for the RRHOF.

My vote was for "Wish Them Well" :LOL:

Freeze.

I Think I'm Going Bald

• Like 1

Freeze.

I Think I'm Going Bald

When you think this you are beyond think, I should know.

Freeze.

I Think I'm Going Bald

Now featuring...DOG YEARS AND TAI SHAN!!!

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2862/8907574001_784611e631_z.jpg Edited by calirush

It will be on again in twenty minutes. I will watch hockey until Rush is inducted. :rush: :cool:

Was it on HBO? I couldn't find it anywhere. :(

Yes it was,

I checked all HBO channels for tonight and didn't see it being replayed. But I am sure it will be on over the weekend. Make sure you check all of the HBO channels. :rush:

It will be on again in twenty minutes. I will watch hockey until Rush is inducted. :rush: :cool:

Yes it was,

I checked all HBO channels for tonight and didn't see it being replayed. But I am sure it will be on over the weekend. Make sure you check all of the HBO channels. :rush:

Awesome! Thanks! I'm going to try and DVR it.

Yes it was,

If you subscribe to HBO, you can get a web service called HBO GO on your computer and on some streaming players that has almost everything that HBO shows available. Go to hbogo.com.

Freeze.

I Think I'm Going Bald

Now featuring...DOG YEARS AND TAI SHAN!!!

I see nothing wrong with these song choices.