Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

ShlappinDahBass

Does Neil's nose get sun while he rides his motorcycle?

Of course it does. I've seen pics of him with that white shit on it to protect it but let me tell you as someone who rides long distances (roughly 450 miles per day for 8 days straight) while on vacation in the summer (usually in hot parts of the western U.S.) all the sun protection in the world is still not enough to keep you from some reddening. Not saying he isn't hittin' the Scotch pretty hard, he may be and I'm suspicious he is. But some of it may well be sun too.

I watched the Heart portion and of course the Rush part

I loved the Foos speech. Pure enthusiasm and respect

Rush played very well

Geddy's vocals were very rough. He just can't do it anymore

The high notes just aren't happening but he's old

Alex's speech was more annoying than funny

It would have been fine for a minute or so and then say an

actual speech. Neil was eloquent. His nose nice and red. No biggie

All star jam was cool

2112 covet was good

Not too bad at all the whole thing

Yes Alex's speech was especially annoying since he said nothing at all... :blah:

... :blah:

If you thought Alex said nothing at all, you weren't paying attention.

Precisely. Alex spoke a million words, and told a great chronological story. I loved it. :ebert:
  • Like 3

Of course it does. I've seen pics of him with that white shit on it to protect it but let me tell you as someone who rides long distances (roughly 450 miles per day for 8 days straight) while on vacation in the summer (usually in hot parts of the western U.S.) all the sun protection in the world is still not enough to keep you from some reddening. Not saying he isn't hittin' the Scotch pretty hard, he may be and I'm suspicious he is. But some of it may well be sun too.

Yes the nose is the first part of your body that can be affected by the sun. I know by experience, i got a tumor out of it! And it's not a comfortable situation when the doctor removes it, because you have to put bandages on it for a couple of months... Some days i would look like a cross between Hannibal Lecter with his mask and a clown...

Yes the nose is the first part of your body that can be affected by the sun. I know by experience, i got a tumor out of it! And it's not a comfortable situation when the doctor removes it, because you have to put bandages on it for a couple of months... Some days i would look like a cross between Hannibal Lecter with his mask and a clown...

Brutal man. My sympathies.

Don't know why there's some hate on the Foo Fighters. They're just as much of hardcore fans as we are. I know I would've been acting like them if I was doing a speech.

2112 was really impressive! HBO cut out around half of the song but we get the gist.

RUSH's segment overall was very good.

Rush played very well

All star jam was cool

2112 covet was good

Yes Alex's speech was especially annoying since he said nothing at all... :blah:

If you thought Alex said nothing at all, you weren't paying attention.

Precisely. Alex spoke a million words, and told a great chronological story. I loved it. :ebert:

I loved it too, and so did my wife.

Neil's speech on the other hand - it was written beautifully, but Neil's writing is better than his public speaking - mind you, he read it very well, but it sounded like he was reading it and it was really well rehearsed, which a speech shouldn't sound like - it kind of dampened the enthusiasm in the room by coming off a bit too dry, though the words were brilliant. Geddy, who is obviously a lot more experienced and comfortable talking in front of large crowds, sounded a lot more natural and down to earth. Alex was brilliant.

I'm not surprised that prog fans malign the Foo Fighters, but that doesn't mean they're right.

I thought Dave and Taylor were GREAT on the show - best induction speech of the night by a long shot - entertaining, enthusiastic, heartfelt and hilarious. I liked their take on different parts of 2112 as well. Does it make me interested in hearing any more Foo Fighters other than the handful of hits I've already heard? Not in the slightest. I still don't care about their music at all - I'm not putting down or maligning their music, I just don't care about it, but at least I enjoy them now somewhat as cool people. I feel united with them as I do with all of you as part of the family of Rush fans. :yes: :haz: :)

Neil just sounds too much like Mister Rodgers now when he talks. I remember in some early interviews he seemed aloof and cocky. Must be having a young child around gives him that nursery school teacher vibe.

Maybe it's time to tune down another half step. Lee was rough. But a very proud moment as a fan.

I feel really torn about the Geddy voice issue.

I want to be really excited that Rush is finally getting all the massive popularity and adulation that they've gotten in recent years, and mostly because I want newer fans or newer potential fans to be introduced to their music. Watching them last night, most of me was thinking how could anyone not appreciate and love such beautifully complex music delivered in such a deceptively simple and melodic sounding way. How could anyone NOT want to pursue Rush's music after hearing such musicianship?

But, and there's always that thorn in the side nagging but, which is Geddy's voice live. It's such a shame as their playing is top notch - it's really never been better, but his vocals are so rough and he sounds like he's struggling SO much that I think it could be a real turn off to those who don't know what those songs are supposed to sound like. I could so easily see a new or potential fan hearing it and going, "WOW, that is so cool, but what the hell is up with those vocals?" Now, I know the irony of that is that a lot of people have said that over the decades when Geddy's voice was sounding the way it should sound, but now it can be a turn off for such a different reason - for the simple and incredibly harsh fact that Geddy just really can't sing any more live. At best he sounds like he gets through a song, but at worst it's a lot less than that, and it keeps getting progressively worse.

As much as a shame it would be if the boys stopped touring, it's really getting to the point where that one aspect is making them not up to the professional standards they've always had. I think it's time for them to give it up when that happens, though perhaps they could still make studio albums as with enough time and rest he's able to pull off singing in the studio - maybe not how he once could, but at least to acceptable standards.

Of course many here will seriously disagree with me, and it's a subject almost no one wants to discuss, but it's getting harder and harder to ignore. As long time hardcore fans, we can kind of fill in with our brains with how the vocals are supposed to be, but to someone hearing it for the first time, or for the first time live, I could see it being a real detriment to their listening experience and seriously inconsistent with the rest of their outstanding musicianship and performances. And even being able to fill in myself what it's supposed to sound like, I'd be lying if I said there weren't a lot of cringeworthy moments in there... :(

Taking it down another half step or full step could help - he simply can't try and sing the songs the way he used to as it just isn't working - I'd rather have it be in a whole other key or sung very differently than just sounding bad.

Edited by rushgoober
  • Like 1

Ju

Just watched it and LOVE that they ended with the best AND an actual Rock band! The induction speech was awesome especially the "...cough...rolling stone"!

The speeches were brilliant and no speech was more brilliant than Alex. You can tell he was telling the story of being ignored by the RRHOF for so long. Absolutely BLAH BLAH BLAH....BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!!!!!!!!!

And obviously of the fans in attendance I'd say 70% RUSH! Even the table section with the VIPs were standing when they finished.

Also playing The Spirit of Radio was beautiful "glittering prizes and endless compromises shatter the illusion of integrity" I think a big FU to the RRHOF!

• Like 2

Rush played very well

All star jam was cool

2112 covet was good

Oh, he said a great deal indeed. It's about subtext.

• Like 2

Rush played very well

All star jam was cool

2112 covet was good

If you thought he said nothing at all than you may want to catch up on Rush's history with the RRHOF. For anyone who thought it was annoying than you people are sorely lacking in the humor department. Listen to the audience during his speech and he is getting big laughs from people for a couple of minutes straight. Do you know how hard it is for a comedian to do the same thing? There are not a lot of comedians that can do that. (The ones that can are usually the best.). I was laughing throughout most of it and I still laugh every time I watch it. That, my friends, was pure comedic genius!
  • Like 2

Rush played very well

All star jam was cool

2112 covet was good

If you thought he said nothing at all than you may want to catch up on Rush's history with the RRHOF. For anyone who thought it was annoying than you people are sorely lacking in the humor department. Listen to the audience during his speech and he is getting big laughs from people for a couple of minutes straight. Do you know how hard it is for a comedian to do the same thing? There are not a lot of comedians that can do that. (The ones that can are usually the best.). I was laughing throughout most of it and I still laugh every time I watch it. That, my friends, was pure comedic genius!

:goodone: :clap:

• Like 2

I, too, think the speech was comic genius. The first time i watched it on You Tube, I didn't quite get it and I felt it was a little too long. After I watched it again and got it, I totally got it and was pissing myself.

I wonder what Geddy and Neil thought? THey looked slightly uncomfortable...

I, too, think the speech was comic genius. The first time i watched it on You Tube, I didn't quite get it and I felt it was a little too long. After I watched it again and got it, I totally got it and was pissing myself.

I wonder what Geddy and Neil thought? THey looked slightly uncomfortable...

http://static.quickmeme.com/media/social/qm.gifhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa6Ncd_8-Ew

• Like 2

I'm watching it now and Don Henley is annoying as hell but he got it right when he said it's nice to see Randy Newman inducted into this Peculiar perplexing organization 20 years after being eligibile.

Rush played very well

All star jam was cool

2112 covet was good

:goodone: :clap:

I didn't say that i didn't find funny, i was sarcastic. I agree Alex was more funny than a bunch of comedians that do this kind of thing as a profession. I was actually surprised how good he was for a guitar player, but we all know that he is the fool on that band, and that maybe a full time job as a actor is waiting for him in a couple of years.