My opinion on Clockwork Angels

starscreamsrevenge

First of all, a big tip of the hat to the OP for having the guts to honestly state what is a rather unpopular opinion.

My own thoughts on the album? I will sort of agree with one thing that was said about the sound quality. Its not all that good (IMO). Way worse then S&A. Way better than VT (thankfully). Somewhere in between and its not a really satisfying in between.

As for the songs Caravan and BU2B, they did not thrill me when i first heard them on tour. I have gotten used to them and they now rank as ok. I guess. Definitely not bad.

Clockwork Angels falls into the same category as the first 2 songs.

The Anarchist & Carnies are less then ok - much less. Neither does anything for me.

If the album stopped at that point I would not think much of it. 3 songs that are sort of ok and 2 that do nothing for me. Thankfully it does not. Instead my favorite song of the album is up next.

Halo Effect totally rocks (IMO) and following it is a steady stream of very good, solid, enjoyable songs.

7 Cities of Gold, The Wreckers, Headlong Flight, Wish Them Well & The Garden - dang, its just one really good song after another. Even the much maligned BU2B2 is ok.

What's more, the dang thing flows along wonderfully (hey, it is a concept albums - its supposed to flow together!!!)

I am still drinking in this album and it may take me a lot longer to fully appreciate all its subtle flavors. Rush albums (I have said it before and I will say it again) are like fine wine. I don't gulp them down. They have to be savored.

Overall, i can not rank this album in comparison to their other work - even after it being out for a year. Their are just so many little flavors I am tasting it may take a long time for me to fully appreciate it and be able to properly rank it. But I know it is good, darn good (other than the sound quality, and the couple of songs that I don't - yet - care for)

HALO EFFECT is where the album suddenly got good for you? :huh: :unsure:

Yes goober, that is correct. I really like the song - most enjoyable song on the album. Not saying that the others which come after it are bad. They are anything but that and as I said, I enjoy all of them. But it is my favorite on the album and its all the better because it comes after the 2 songs which appeal to me the least.

What can I say, its a matter of taste.

But what in it appeals to my taste? I guess its a blend of the lyrics & the change of "pace" (I don't know how else to phrase it) both within the song and as compared to the songs before it and those that come after it.. Plus it also sort of speaks to me in a way. Hard to explain.

I know you are still scratching your head over this but its the best explanation I can give.

It's all good, and no matter how vociferous or annoying my loud opinions are, you never have to defend yourself against it. It's just lyrically and musically I think it's the weakest song on the album, outside of the completely disposable BU2B2 that is. Halo Effect isn't a BAD song, and it is a nice change of pace to have more of a ballad after the intensity of what comes before it on the album, but ultimately I find it kind of a letdown and I usually skip it. Every song before it (and almost every song after) is pretty stellar for me, however. I just hadn't come across anyone yet for whom that was the highlight of the album.

First of all, a big tip of the hat to the OP for having the guts to honestly state what is a rather unpopular opinion.

My own thoughts on the album? I will sort of agree with one thing that was said about the sound quality. Its not all that good (IMO). Way worse then S&A. Way better than VT (thankfully). Somewhere in between and its not a really satisfying in between.

As for the songs Caravan and BU2B, they did not thrill me when i first heard them on tour. I have gotten used to them and they now rank as ok. I guess. Definitely not bad.

The Anarchist & Carnies are less then ok - much less. Neither does anything for me.

If the album stopped at that point I would not think much of it. 3 songs that are sort of ok and 2 that do nothing for me. Thankfully it does not. Instead my favorite song of the album is up next.

Halo Effect totally rocks (IMO) and following it is a steady stream of very good, solid, enjoyable songs.

7 Cities of Gold, The Wreckers, Headlong Flight, Wish Them Well & The Garden - dang, its just one really good song after another. Even the much maligned BU2B2 is ok.

What's more, the dang thing flows along wonderfully (hey, it is a concept albums - its supposed to flow together!!!)

I am still drinking in this album and it may take me a lot longer to fully appreciate all its subtle flavors. Rush albums (I have said it before and I will say it again) are like fine wine. I don't gulp them down. They have to be savored.

Overall, i can not rank this album in comparison to their other work - even after it being out for a year. Their are just so many little flavors I am tasting it may take a long time for me to fully appreciate it and be able to properly rank it. But I know it is good, darn good (other than the sound quality, and the couple of songs that I don't - yet - care for)

Yes goober, that is correct. I really like the song - most enjoyable song on the album. Not saying that the others which come after it are bad. They are anything but that and as I said, I enjoy all of them. But it is my favorite on the album and its all the better because it comes after the 2 songs which appeal to me the least.

But what in it appeals to my taste? I guess its a blend of the lyrics & the change of "pace" (I don't know how else to phrase it) both within the song and as compared to the songs before it and those that come after it.. Plus it also sort of speaks to me in a way. Hard to explain.

I know you are still scratching your head over this but its the best explanation I can give.

It's all good, and no matter how vociferous or annoying my loud opinions are, you never have to defend yourself against it. It's just lyrically and musically I think it's the weakest song on the album, outside of the completely disposable BU2B2 that is. Halo Effect isn't a BAD song, and it is a nice change of pace to have more of a ballad after the intensity of what comes before it on the album, but ultimately I find it kind of a letdown and I usually skip it. Every song before it (and almost every song after) is pretty stellar for me, however. I just hadn't come across anyone yet for whom that was the highlight of the album.

No problem at all!! I like trying to explain my opinions, even if they are a little unusual. Its sort of fun. Plus some of the reactions to my honest opinions give me a real chuckle.

I actually don't find your opinions all that annoying - usually I find that I agree with them!!!! For example, VT sucks and HYF is a very good album. If I recall correctly that is your opinion of those 2 albums. I would agree with that - all of HYF, except perhaps High Water, is great and VT has very little to recommend it. Although I don't go for most of the other music you seem to like and my preference for 80's hard rock / heavy metal and southern rock is probably not your cup of tea.

By the way, although BU2B2 is far from my favorite song on the album I will agree to disagree with you over it. Not my least favorite on the album. To ech their own.

That being said you do have a point about Halo Effect. It is "weak" both lyrically and musically. I will agree with you on that. Perhaps "thin" might be another way to put it. Recognized that the first time I heard the album. Yet I still like it more than anything else on the album. The weakness of the music is, to my ear, a relaxing peace and quiet. I almost find it to be a case of "less is more". The lyrics? Yes they are not "deep" (for lack of a better phrase). Yet I find that I like trying to sing along to them and I love the imagery of "a goddess with wings on her heels". In a way its sort of like having a big meal of salad (with a lot of spinach in it) plus some chicken and brussels sprouts. All organically raised. With water to drink. All good food but you need some sugary sweet with that meal. Some apple sauce or apple fritters. Or sauteed apples. Thats what Halo Effect is - it might not be the most nutritious food for the brain, but it tastes real good to me. Esp. if the apples were organically raised.

Would i want an entire album of Halo Effect like songs? Thanks but no. To much sweet and not enough nutritious food. But mixed in with the good stuff as part of a meal... Yum.

First I am comparing the album to a fine wine. Than I am mentioning tea. Now I am comparing the album to a good meal. I must be posting in the wrong part of TRF!!!!

Clockwork Angels is a great album if they would have just released the first 9 songs along with The Garden it would have been perfect. As is, its a modern Masterpiece for RUSH. Tell me one band that has come up with such a great album and a concept album at that 40+ years into their career ...........No one! :rush: :haz: :rush:
  • Like 1

No problem at all!! I like trying to explain my opinions, even if they are a little unusual. Its sort of fun. Plus some of the reactions to my honest opinions give me a real chuckle.

I actually don't find your opinions all that annoying - usually I find that I agree with them!!!! For example, VT sucks and HYF is a very good album. If I recall correctly that is your opinion of those 2 albums. I would agree with that - all of HYF, except perhaps High Water, is great and VT has very little to recommend it. Although I don't go for most of the other music you seem to like and my preference for 80's hard rock / heavy metal and southern rock is probably not your cup of tea.

By the way, although BU2B2 is far from my favorite song on the album I will agree to disagree with you over it. Not my least favorite on the album. To ech their own.

That being said you do have a point about Halo Effect. It is "weak" both lyrically and musically. I will agree with you on that. Perhaps "thin" might be another way to put it. Recognized that the first time I heard the album. Yet I still like it more than anything else on the album. The weakness of the music is, to my ear, a relaxing peace and quiet. I almost find it to be a case of "less is more". The lyrics? Yes they are not "deep" (for lack of a better phrase). Yet I find that I like trying to sing along to them and I love the imagery of "a goddess with wings on her heels". In a way its sort of like having a big meal of salad (with a lot of spinach in it) plus some chicken and brussels sprouts. All organically raised. With water to drink. All good food but you need some sugary sweet with that meal. Some apple sauce or apple fritters. Or sauteed apples. Thats what Halo Effect is - it might not be the most nutritious food for the brain, but it tastes real good to me. Esp. if the apples were organically raised.

Would i want an entire album of Halo Effect like songs? Thanks but no. To much sweet and not enough nutritious food. But mixed in with the good stuff as part of a meal... Yum.

First I am comparing the album to a fine wine. Than I am mentioning tea. Now I am comparing the album to a good meal. I must be posting in the wrong part of TRF!!!!

I actually loved 80's hard rock/heavy metal in the 80's - well, up until the hair metal and speed metal parts, but I really loved early to mid 80's hard rock and NWOBHM - saw a lot of those bands. I'm not into that music as much as I was, but I still appreciate and listen to some of it...

And I love HYF - I think it's a great album. It would be top 5 easily if not for the two clunkers at the end.

And as to unusual opinions, I can totally relate! :cheers:

Clockwork Angels is a great album if they would have just released the first 9 songs along with The Garden it would have been perfect. As is, its a modern Masterpiece for RUSH. Tell me one band that has come up with such a great album and a concept album at that 40+ years into their career ...........No one! :rush: :haz: :rush:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/645bc292171c1ea01dade79d56fd4a90/tumblr_mnhln3MtzQ1r41unfo1_500.gif

• Like 1

Gave the album more listens. 1 classic (Headlong flight), 2 good songs (Wish them well, The garden), the rest sounds like Led zeppelin/The who tributes. Fed up with Alex's current approach to guitar playing (1k layers of guitars, strumming all along + "I can't be arsed to play more than 3 notes" solos) and production. Passable effort.

Gave the album more listens. 1 classic (Headlong flight), 2 good songs (Wish them well, The garden), the rest sounds like Led zeppelin/The who tributes. Fed up with Alex's current approach to guitar playing (1k layers of guitars, strumming all along + "I can't be arsed to play more than 3 notes" solos) and production. Passable effort.

I can't get into wish them well after many listening, same with "Carnies" and "the Anarchist", who sounds like mediocre Zeppelin and Who songs... Look, on the fist one, the melody is lazy, and on the two latest, their is not a melody, just a band jamming together with a riff that is not developed with coherence.

I kinda like the "Don’t even pause and ask them why Turn around and say goodbye" bit in WTW, sounds like something off T4E (The Color of Right anyone?)

But ye, The Anarchist, Carnies and The Wreckers are the worst offenders on the album.

I can't get into wish them well after many listening, same with "Carnies" and "the Anarchist", who sounds like mediocre Zeppelin and Who songs... Look, on the fist one, the melody is lazy, and on the two latest, their is not a melody, just a band jamming together with a riff that is not developed with coherence.

These two posts are really big examples of people who don't know what they're talking about...mediocre? A riff not developed with coherence? Coo-coo for CoCo Puffs :codger:
  • Like 2

These two posts are really big examples of people who don't know what they're talking about...mediocre? A riff not developed with coherence? Coo-coo for CoCo Puffs :codger:

That's what happened when you want to put too much material on one cd, you run out of ideas!

When Vapor Trails came out I enjoyed most of it. Then came Snakes & Arrows which to me is a great album, maybe a little too many overdubs to my liking. And now Clockwork Angels. I think they really have done well with this album. I like the way it sounds.

:rush:

• Like 1

I have trouble listening to the album for some reason. I don't know if it's the production quality, or the songs themselves or what it is. I like Caravan, Headlong Flight and The Garden, but the rest of them are just okay to me. Although I have to say hearing them live really helps. The Anarchist in particular stands out to me as a much better live than studio song.

I guess I'm easy to please, because there is not one song on CA that hasn't grown on me. Also having seen them live now, the addition of strings live really worked well.

But I respect that some of you have different opinions :-)

My biggest complaint about CA is that it is essentially VP part2. Look, before it took the band two albums and 3-5 years to completely reivent themselves. It was like 10 years since VP when CA came out and it sounded exactly like the VP/S&A pair: overdubbed guitar strumming, copy&paste sections, programmed vocal harmonies, lack of solos. VP, S&A and CA amount to more than 3 hours of material and we only got 1(!) proper solo from Alex in Headlong Flight which lasts like 10 seconds. I hate to say this but the band has become predictably boring.

My biggest complaint about CA is that it is essentially VP part2. Look, before it took the band two albums and 3-5 years to completely reivent themselves. It was like 10 years since VP when CA came out and it sounded exactly like the VP/S&A pair: overdubbed guitar strumming, copy&paste sections, programmed vocal harmonies, lack of solos. VP, S&A and CA amount to more than 3 hours of material and we only got 1(!) proper solo from Alex in Headlong Flight which lasts like 10 seconds. I hate to say this but the band has become predictably boring.

You are a little hard on your criticism of CA. Some songs are really better than any of VP's songs. Yes, there is some similarity in the sound, which is normal, and you don't like Alex's solo during "the Garden"?? :huh:

:unsure: well. I am definitely out of place in this thread now.

I remember when S&A came out it was pretty much universally loved on TRF, but it wasn't long before the backlash showed up and people started throwing the album under the bus. I honestly didn't think that would happen with CA since it's such a great Rush album, and I thought pretty bulletproof, but I guess not. Too bad some people can't enjoy it. I doubt a better album exists by a band 38 years after their debut.

You're hilarious, Rushian guy. Put down the bottle. :LOL: ;) :poke:

• Like 1

I remember when S&A came out it was pretty much universally loved on TRF, but it wasn't long before the backlash showed up and people started throwing the album under the bus. I honestly didn't think that would happen with CA since it's such a great Rush album, and I thought pretty bulletproof, but I guess not. Too bad some people can't enjoy it. I doubt a better album exists by a band 38 years after their debut.

Oh it's bulletproof alright. All the shots fired at the material on CA are blanks. Sure the sound isn't perfect. Turn the bass and sub down a click, and the treble up a click, and vwalla, sounds decent!

The most recent album by Deep Purple is no less excellent by any means and much better sonically. And it was produced by canadian.. Perhaps Rush should get Bob Ezrin to produce their next record? :P

You are a little hard on your criticism of CA. Some songs are really better than any of VP's songs. Yes, there is some similarity in the sound, which is normal, and you don't like Alex's solo during "the Garden"?? :huh:

The solo in "The Garden" is kinda ok and one of the reasons why I think that this particular song is of better ones on the record. But it still leaves me unsatisfied for some reason. Could be the mix or the fact that the song too long by 3 minutes to make the solo stand out. Edited by Vicious