Why sports grabs my attention

How does it affect you personally? I was thinking about this on Saturday while golfing and a sleet storm opened up above me. Ice/hail raining down upon me, stinging my cheeks and I never thought about quitting.

For me, 3 big things.

The most personal: Golf. I can hit 5 crappy shots and then 1 great shot. The euphoric feeling that 1 shot gives me makes up for the bad ones. The desire to keep hitting good shots drives my game, my focus on getting better.

The one I share: Youth Football. Seeing the clueless kids become great players has kept me coming back to coach for almost 10 years now. Having kids go on to play in HS that stop by after practice to help show the young kids "how it's done" - that's what it's all about for me. Stuff like that helps me deal with bitching parents, 10 hours of weekly practice, giving up every Saturday morning for 3 months....

The longest running: NFL Football. I get to watch the Packers play nearly every week with my dad. You never know when I won't have that chance anymore, so I appreciate every week. Other than Thurs, Sunday or Monday Night games, we have only missed 2 Sunday afternoon games in the last 14 years.

• Like 2

I think my love of sports boils down to this...When my team wins, I forget about all of life's little annoyances for that little while. :)
  • Like 1

yup, i think sports and music are the only entertainment that i love. i get to escape for a little while!
  • Like 1

As a young boy, sports were a way for me to overcome my painful shyness and self consciousness. Now it's a way for me to teach my children (and other kids) the truly important lessons that I feel like I learned from sports; losing with grace, keeping your composure under pressure, digging down inside yourself when you feel like giving up. I still fail at all of them, but at least I recognize its happening, and can try to correct it.

LiX, love the part about you and your Dad. I don't watch the Pats nearly enough with my own. Next season I'm going to make a concentrated effort in that regard. Thanks.

• Like 1

I got into baseball as a little boy, then played football in middle school. A ripped up knee and a broken leg within 18 months of each other took care of any potential high school career. :rage:

Baseball, football, tennis, golf, and bowling.......they're great and I love to do them because, to put it simply, they're just FUN. It's thrilling to nail a shot onto the green, or hit a home run, or bowl a 700 series. Winning the game is great fun, but winning isn't always necessary. As long as you don't suck at it, sports can be a lifetime of fun..... :D :D

I enjoy watching sports because you can allow yourself to be carried away from the troubles and tribulations of the day, immerse yourself in something fun and entertaining, and it will be the most important thing for 2-3 hours, despite being ultimately meaningless. It also allows you to have fun with your friends, sharing in victory if you share their rooting interest, but more importantly and more enjoyably, allowing you to trash talk your friends when their team fails, and indulge in a bit of schadenfreude when the teams followed by those fanbases you find obnoxious lose to Robert Morris University in the first round of the NIT, Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 1