Anyone else Remember When...

LeaveMyThingAlone

...Rush was our favorite band, but we were a fraternity and they were a cult band. A band that we all loved to death, but outside of our group, they were complete unknowns. High School (late 80's for me) was everything BUT Rush. Remember when you would desperately look for anything Rush related just to get a tiny glimpse of them in the mainstream. I remember what a huge deal it was to hear the song "Limelight" in a movie called "Gas" I saw in the 80's. That was all we got. Outside of that, no one know who they were. They were our little secret...

My how times have changed. This is all very odd, but mostly in a cool way. I just can't believe how cool they're now perceived to be, how everyone is a Rush fan now, and it's impossible to find or hear a negative word about them.

Strange days indeed

• Like 2

Very few people I know, in person, know who they are. I get an occasional "Ah!" from the mention of Tom Sawyer, but even then, not often. Especially among my female friends.

I actually have a couple of female friends who like Rush! I showed one of them CA and they looooved it. I was a very happy man.

Yeah, sadly, they're still really not that big in America (at least Michigan) either. Unless you're a musician.

I guess if your talking about the here and now.... But Michigan (Detroit) Illinois(Chicago) Ohio (Cleveland) were Rush hotbeds in the 70's- 80's. And they still have hardcore fans in those locations. I never completely bought in the idea that there inclusion in rock hall means increase of popularity and new fans. It's just that longevity brought more media exposure recognition to there music and loyal fan base that's been with them since the beginning...
  • Like 1

Yeah, Rush was one of the more popular bands at my high school as well, in NW Indiana/suburban Chicago. I remember taking a poll for sociology class and Rush was second to Pink Floyd (this was just after The Wall came out), just ahead of Led Zeppelin.

Very few people I know, in person, know who they are. I get an occasional "Ah!" from the mention of Tom Sawyer, but even then, not often. Especially among my female friends.

I actually have a couple of female friends who like Rush! I showed one of them CA and they looooved it. I was a very happy man.

I have one girlfriend that likes them and has attended shows...and it's because her husband and her best friend's husband love the band. All the rest are guy friends and strangely enough we all go to church together. Ha!

yea......I remember my middle/high school days—i'm a child of the 90s, you see. And I used to go Nucking Futs everytime our local rock station would play Spirit of the Radio, everybody'd be like: wow, that's a pretty good intro....but then, towards the latter part, they'd be like: oh no, why did they go to reggae and then Rock, i'm confused! lol hahahaha, what a bunch of Pearl Jam/ Soundgarden bunch of pussies I hung out with back then. Long live Rush!!!

...Rush was our favorite band, but we were a fraternity and they were a cult band. A band that we all loved to death, but outside of our group, they were complete unknowns. High School (late 80's for me) was everything BUT Rush. Remember when you would desperately look for anything Rush related just to get a tiny glimpse of them in the mainstream. I remember what a huge deal it was to hear the song "Limelight" in a movie called "Gas" I saw in the 80's. That was all we got. Outside of that, no one know who they were. They were our little secret...

My how times have changed. This is all very odd, but mostly in a cool way. I just can't believe how cool they're now perceived to be, how everyone is a Rush fan now, and it's impossible to find or hear a negative word about them.

Strange days indeed

I for one know exactly what you are talking about! I think about it quite a bit too.. Must feel weird for the boys to be so popular now since they haven't changed at all.. They're just still doing what they always did. But now they're cool. Go figure lol