Andy Johns has died

R.I.P

One of the greats, who was behind some classic tunes. He was responsible for a lot of that thunderous Bonham drum sound, and even though i'm not a huge fan of the album as a whole, Van Halens F.U. C. * might be their best sounding recording.

I thought the F.U.C.K. album was a fantastic work by Andy

Yeah, it's a huge sounding album. The drums sound killer. But some of the songs on there just kill it for me. Spanked, in n out, Man on a mission.. Take those 3 away , and you got a stellar album.

• Like 1

I thought the F.U.C.K. album was a fantastic work by Andy

Yeah, it's a huge sounding album. The drums sound killer. But some of the songs on there just kill it for me. Spanked, in n out, Man on a mission.. Take those 3 away , and you got a stellar album.

"Judgement Day" is a great song...one of their heaviest. I can tolerate those three but I get your point. Sammy pushed those guys musically, to bad its over.

I always thought Glyn, his older brother engineered Bonham and Watts? I know Glyn's two-microphone isosceles triangle method for recording drums (first used with the Beatles) was supposedly implemented. Were the brothers co-engineers?

All I know is their engineering has A LOT to do with zeppelin's awesome sound. People don't credit the engineers with the magic they create as much as their work impacts the overall sound of a band....

R.I.P.

He also did great work with Joe Satriani.

I loved his work on 'The Extremist'...one of my favourites.

Joe had posted the following blurb on his FB account:

"Very hard to put into words how I feel about losing Andy Johns so suddenly. We spoke just a few weeks ago about working together on a few movie soundtracks that he had been commissioned to produce, he sounded upbeat, enthusiastic and as usual full of ideas. He brought real musical magic to "The Extremist" and "Chickenfoot" records, experiences I will always treasure. As an engineer and producer he changed the sound of rock music for all time. He was a musical giant who's presence will be missed, and I will miss him very, very much."