syrup or syrup

CygnusGal

syrup or syrup  

14 members have voted

1. 1. syrup or syrup

• like see-rup
    • like sur-rup

Since the dawn of time, mankind has yearned to answer this question. Here's your chance to earn a place in history.

I pronounce it see-rup. But, most people I know pronounce it as sur-rup.

Who's right?

Edited by CygnusGal

"Syrup" is derived from the Latin "sirupus". The vowel "y" replaces the Latin "i", and retains the Latin sound, which is usually /ee/ - the long "e" sound.

However, we in the USA pronounce the "y" in "syrup" as we do in "myth", "gym", "spit", etc. I don't think I've ever heard it cleanly pronounced /see-ruhp/, with emphasis on the /ee/ sound.

The pronunciation /suhr-ruhp/ is just a regional variance. I've heard that down South quite often...not that there's anything wrong with that..... ;)

• Like 1

"Syrup" is derived from the Latin "sirupus". The vowel "y" replaces the Latin "i", and retains the Latin sound, which is usually /ee/ - the long "e" sound.

However, we in the USA pronounce the "y" in "syrup" as we do in "myth", "gym", "spit", etc. I don't think I've ever heard it cleanly pronounced /see-ruhp/, with emphasis on the /ee/ sound.

The pronunciation /suhr-ruhp/ is just a regional variance. I've heard that down South quite often...not that there's anything wrong with that..... ;)

I hear surup in New England and used to hear the same in Texas. I do put the emphasis on the seer-up. I speak just like a New Engl-Can-Texadian-er...

syrup, to rhyme with "stirrup" as in...

There was a generally very plump lady

Forced to quit her horse ride daily

I've eaten far too many pancakes with syrup

And my foot will no longer reach my stirrup

And my poor horse can no longer convey me

• Like 2

It's pronounced "sir-rup" and if it's not made in Canada, it "aint' the real deal!"

Editor's Note - If it's made in either Maine or Vermont, it qualifies as the real deal too...