The Neil Coast Bias Thread! Simon Phillips V. Neil Peart! The Best And The Favorite? Ludacris!

RUSHHEAD666

Simon Says Neil Is The Favorite But Phillips Is Better!  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which drummer is the best not the favorite?

• Neil Peart
    • Simon Phillips

Neil Peart will alway be my number one drummer. My all time favorite drummer until I die.

Saying that are there better drummers than the great God Neil?

Of course there are! Right? Wrong?????

This is a biased Rush Forum so what better place is there to discuss better drummers on the earth than Neil?

I've been listening to a lot of the Simon Phillips solo catalog today and tonight.

Damn this guy can rip. The "Protocol" cd is only 27 minutes long but wow Simon puts the double pedals to the metal!

Neil Peart will always be my favorite drummer, but for me Simon Phillips is the BEST!

I would take Simon over Dave Weckl any day!

Simon's career is absolutely stunning. I have tried over the decades to collect every album that he has played on.

It's almost impossible but I am damn close.

I saw Simon with The Who at the Oakland Coliseum. He was on his infamous red Tama kit. He absolutely blew me away!! I was 9th row center!

Remember the good old days when Neil was on a red Tama kit?

Neil blew my mind in 1984 at the Cow Palace! I was only 16!!!!!

Perhaps Simon could replace Neil on the R40 Tour if Neil's arthritis isn't healed!

Simon can play METAL too!

Signed,

"SIN AFTER SIN"

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

Simon Phillips is awesome and his work with with Toto is amazing and stuff. But "replace Neil"? You can't compare him to Neil. Simon is a totally different drummer in his style.

I know dude! I hear ya but if anyone can play to the Rush stuff it could be Simon! He is the chameleon in the music industry. He can play the drums in every musical genre!

JMO!

Priest to Jagger?

MSG to Mike Rutherford!

Simon kills it on all of the TOTO stuff!

Simon is the greatest studio drummer of all time! Probably next to Gadd.

Believe me I'm a Neil guy until my grave but at this moment in time I think Simon is better.

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

I hate these "who's the best" polls as it is clearly subjective. If someone would come up with an objective measurement, then we could maybe answer this (fastes rudiments, best timekeeping, whatever). Having siad that, I love both of them, but Neil is a guy who is phenomnal within his band, Simon is phenomenal at whatever he plays with a WIDE variety of artists. Remember, Neil picked Simon's "Dancing Men" to be the first song the Burning for Buddy album.

Great interview with SImon at http://www.drumheadmag.com/web/feature.php?id=16

Yeah, both are great in their own ways. If you're comparing straight up technique, a lot of guys surpass Neil.

But like you Earl, Neil will always be my favorite based on the parts he has come up with for Rush. His playing really moves me.

• Like 1

I'm like some of you guys... Neil is by far, my favourite drummer and he's one of, if not, THE most popular drummer on the planet right now.

I started playing drums when I was 12... two years before 2112 came out. Deep Purple and BTO were the bands that I listened to while playing along and learning the drums. When I first heard 2112, I nearly went insane. I played 6 hours EVERY DAY. Drove my parents crazy...

I've been watching Neil since I was 14... my first show was the 2112 Tour in Ottawa, Ontario. (That's "Ottawa, Canada" for all you Amercians who have never heard of Ontario.) And, since about 1980 or so, I honestly thought he was THE best rock drummer alive. I never thought he was the best DRUMMER, but the best ROCK drummer, yes.

About 10 years ago, I started really looking (with mind over heart) at other drummers and what I saw freaked me out. There are some SERIOUSLY serious drummers out there... and yes, some could out-play Neil in some areas. Simon Phillips (alas) is one of them... so could Steve Smith... and Greg Bissonette. But, could Dave Weckl, the great jazz - fusion drummer, out-play Neil in a rock band. No goddam way.

Neil has great technique, especially since "Freddie" got a hold of him back in the 90s. And, he has so much intensity and pure human power... his comiittment to the whole thing (always wanting to be better and NEVER thinking that he's good enough). We almost NEVER see him make an error while playing... he's THAT good.

I think it's safe to say that no one alive plays like Neil. Lots of others try to play like Neil. And, he has influenced thousands... many of whom are famous, wealthy drummers today. He is in a league of his own whether or not he's "better" than someone else.

Neil is one of the very best drummers alive. Why?

Because he's Neil Peart.

• Like 2

Yeah, both are great in their own ways. If you're comparing straight up technique, a lot of guys surpass Neil.

But like you Earl, Neil will always be my favorite based on the parts he has come up with for Rush. His playing really moves me.

I totally agree. His drum parts for Rush are beyond incredible. Some say he is robotic at times but the man can he play the skins!!

He moves me too! Even when he plays the electronic side of his kit.

Simon's kit blows my mind too. Simon is a smaller dude who plays on that gigantic monster kit.

I don't get the apples to oranges deal between Simon and Neil. Both rule. Simon can adapt to more musical genres. Simon plays a better double bass too.

Simon wins.

Neil is my favorite.

• Like 1

I hate these "who's the best" polls as it is clearly subjective. If someone would come up with an objective measurement, then we could maybe answer this (fastes rudiments, best timekeeping, whatever). Having siad that, I love both of them, but Neil is a guy who is phenomnal within his band, Simon is phenomenal at whatever he plays with a WIDE variety of artists. Remember, Neil picked Simon's "Dancing Men" to be the first song the Burning for Buddy album.

Great interview with SImon at http://www.drumheadm...ature.php?id=16

That is excellent knowledge. I have the cd but I forgot that "Dancing Men" was the first track on the album. I need to dig that sucker out and play it!

• Like 1

I'm like some of you guys... Neil is by far, my favourite drummer and he's one of, if not, THE most popular drummer on the planet right now.

I started playing drums when I was 12... two years before 2112 came out. Deep Purple and BTO were the bands that I listened to while playing along and learning the drums. When I first heard 2112, I nearly went insane. I played 6 hours EVERY DAY. Drove my parents crazy...

I've been watching Neil since I was 14... my first show was the 2112 Tour in Ottawa, Ontario. (That's "Ottawa, Canada" for all you Amercians who have never heard of Ontario.) And, since about 1980 or so, I honestly thought he was THE best rock drummer alive. I never thought he was the best DRUMMER, but the best ROCK drummer, yes.

About 10 years ago, I started really looking (with mind over heart) at other drummers and what I saw freaked me out. There are some SERIOUSLY serious drummers out there... and yes, some could out-play Neil in some areas. Simon Phillips (alas) is one of them... so could Steve Smith... and Greg Bissonette. But, could Dave Weckl, the great jazz - fusion drummer, out-play Neil in a rock band. No goddam way.

Neil has great technique, especially since "Freddie" got a hold of him back in the 90s. And, he has so much intensity and pure human power... his comiittment to the whole thing (always wanting to be better and NEVER thinking that he's good enough). We almost NEVER see him make an error while playing... he's THAT good.

I think it's safe to say that no one alive plays like Neil. Lots of others try to play like Neil. And, he has influenced thousands... many of whom are famous, wealthy drummers today. He is in a league of his own whether or not he's "better" than someone else.

Neil is one of the very best drummers alive. Why?

Because he's Neil Peart.

:goodone:

• Like 1

Thanks...

One more comment: You can always identify Neil's sound... there's just something "Neil" about it and that all started, at least for me, with the Hemispheres album. Then, on the next two albums, PW and MP, look the hell out!

Thanks...

One more comment: You can always identify Neil's sound... there's just something "Neil" about it and that all started, at least for me, with the Hemispheres album. Then, on the next two albums, PW and MP, look the hell out!

That's so spot on! "HEMISPHERES" will always be my number one album of all time!!!!!

Who's Simon Phillips?

Dude! I can't tell if you are being sarcastic!

Check out this video of Simon shredding on a tune called "Protocol."

You can click on other Simon videos on the right that will also blow your mind.

After watching "Protocol" just now there is now doubt that Simon blows Neil away.

Like I said before however Neil will always be my number one.

Phillips number 2.

Weckl number 3.

• Like 1

If you like the Pete Townshend solo albums then I would suggest you get "Empty Glass" "All The Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes" and "White City."

if you love Jeff Beck then get "There And Back." Simon lays down a double bass shuffle beat on a song called "Space Boogie" that still boggles my mind.

If you watch the "Protocol" video you will read a nice rip on Mike Portnoy. I agree with the author of that post. Mike is a slob. An elite drummer has no reason to be spitting over his drum kit like a fukking camel.

SIMON RULES!

Neil is amazing, Simon is amazing, Stewart Copeland is amazing, Alan White is amazing, Bill Bruford is amazing, Ian Paice, is amazing, Tomas from Meshuggah is amazing, JP from CLutch is amazing, Carl Palmer amazing, Clive Burr will always be one of my faves too