The Neil Coast Bias Thread! Simon Phillips V. Neil Peart! The Best And The Favorite? Ludacris!

RUSHHEAD666

Simon Says Neil Is The Favorite But Phillips Is Better!  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which drummer is the best not the favorite?

• Neil Peart
    • Simon Phillips

Everyone always raves about Steve Smith, and I get he's an amazingly diverse, technical player, but I will still take the circa 1980 Neil over Smith if I'm putting together a rock band.

And he played in Journey.

Edited by Xanadoood

Neil is amazing, Simon is amazing, Stewart Copeland is amazing, Alan White is amazing, Bill Bruford is amazing, Ian Paice, is amazing, Tomas from Meshuggah is amazing, JP from CLutch is amazing, Carl Palmer amazing, Clive Burr will always be one of my faves too

Keith Moon was amazing, Dave Lombardo (Slayer) is amazing (especially live), John Bonham was amazing, Ginger Baker (Cream for those that don't know) was (and probably still is) amazing, etc., etc., etc......btw, nice to see you mention Paice. Not many do in drumming conversations and I've always enjoyed him.

Neil is amazing, Simon is amazing, Stewart Copeland is amazing, Alan White is amazing, Bill Bruford is amazing, Ian Paice, is amazing, Tomas from Meshuggah is amazing, JP from CLutch is amazing, Carl Palmer amazing, Clive Burr will always be one of my faves too

Keith Moon was amazing, Dave Lombardo (Slayer) is amazing (especially live), John Bonham was amazing, Ginger Baker (Cream for those that don't know) was (and probably still is) amazing, etc., etc., etc......btw, nice to see you mention Paice. Not many do in drumming conversations and I've always enjoyed him.

Ian's right foot in the live version of Strange Kinda Woman is beyond machine like. And Lombardo is the 1st king of double bass, I took this shot at Roseland NYC

1253_41162353122_7318_n.jpg

Bastoph is a monster too

1205_39637123122_1530_n.jpg

Danny too

1205_39637138122_2742_n.jpg

I've always loved Paice. Doesn't get enough love.

Also, Brian Downey from Lizzy. Great , under appreciated player.

Ian's right foot in the live version of Strange Kinda Woman is beyond machine like. And Lombardo is the 1st king of double bass, I took this shot at Roseland NYC

Bastoph is a monster too

Danny too

No love for Tommy Aldridge?

Oh, Buddy Rich did double bass too.

Bastoph is a monster too

Danny too

No love for Tommy Aldridge?

Oh, Buddy Rich did double bass too.

I have love, just no phoitos I took myself heh

Got to give it up for Leonard Haze! This guy had a kick drum foot that could flutter faster on the the bass drum pedal than a humming bird heart!

Back in the early Seventies Leonard broke his leg skiing. Well why he was in a cast he was able to practice his flutter bass drum kicking.

The dude never needed a double pedal. Leonard was also heavily influenced by John Bonham as you can tell by the clip.

Check out his monster drum sticks!!

This guy was Y&T and then Meniketti stole the band from him!

Boy it's hard to choose, The Odd Couple, The Out Of Towners (original of course) The Sunshine Boys...

Many others Neil Simon has such a vast body of work but those three are probably my favorites.. err make it four just remembered Max Dugan Returns.. :P :outtahere:

Simon Phillips is awesome and his work with with Toto is amazing and stuff. But "replace Neil"? You can't compare him to Neil. Simon is a totally different drummer in his style.

Which is why such comprisons are meaningless.

Simon Phillips is awesome and his work with with Toto is amazing and stuff. But "replace Neil"? You can't compare him to Neil. Simon is a totally different drummer in his style.

I know dude! I hear ya but if anyone can play to the Rush stuff it could be Simon! He is the chameleon in the music industry. He can play the drums in every musical genre!

JMO!

Priest to Jagger?

MSG to Mike Rutherford!

Simon kills it on all of the TOTO stuff!

Simon is the greatest studio drummer of all time! Probably next to Gadd.

Believe me I'm a Neil guy until my grave but at this moment in time I think Simon is better.

Uh, Rutherford is a guitarist? Oh wait, I see. It's not about better, can't we just appreciate both of them for their contributions?

Simon blows Neil away.

"The Sea Refuses No River."

I hear nothing there that Neil couldn't play. Nice though.

Ian Paice WAS amazing. Saw them live back in the day and then again a few years ago and he's a shadow of his former self. Totally mailed it in. He's now the Fat Bastard of drumming.

---------------------------------------------------

As has been said before, Neil is my favorite if not the ‘best’. What he does just does it for me. When you add to that spectacular lyrics, it’s no contest. If he’s not the Babe Ruth of R&R then Ged is; singing, playing bass and keyboards all at once.

Edited by Weakly Criminal

I know dude! I hear ya but if anyone can play to the Rush stuff it could be Simon! He is the chameleon in the music industry. He can play the drums in every musical genre!

JMO!

Priest to Jagger?

MSG to Mike Rutherford!

Believe me I'm a Neil guy until my grave but at this moment in time I think Simon is better.

Uh, Rutherford is a guitarist? Oh wait, I see. It's not about better, can't we just appreciate both of them for their contributions?

Simon blows Neil away.

Ian Paice WAS amazing. Saw them live back in the day and then again a few years ago and he's a shadow of his former self. Totally mailed it in. He's now the Fat Bastard of drumming.

As has been said before, Neil is my favorite if not the ‘best’. What he does just does it for me. When you add to that spectacular lyrics, it’s no contest. If he’s not the Babe Ruth of R&R then Ged is; singing, playing bass and keyboards all at once.

Sorry to be so vague on the MSG to Mike Rutherford comment. I was talking about two albums that Simon Phillips played the drums on. Simon plays on the 1996 Rutherford album entitled "Small Creep's Day." Also on the Michael Schenker Group debut album. 1980

Of course we can appreciate both drummers I just think Simon is much more versatile than Neil.

JMO!

Priest to Jagger?

MSG to Mike Rutherford!

Simon blows Neil away.

Sorry to be so vague on the MSG to Mike Rutherford comment. I was talking about two albums that Simon Phillips played the drums on. Simon plays on the 1996 Rutherford album entitled "Small Creep's Day." Also on the Michael Schenker Group debut album. 1980

Of course we can appreciate both drummers I just think Simon is much more versatile than Neil.

Agreed, Phillips is more versatile. Still prefer what NP does.

A five or six months back, on another thread, I mentioned a very young drummer from New Zealand, Dylan Elise. If this kid isn't THE best technical drummer in the entire world, I don't know who is... and yet, I rarely hear his name.

Here is a link to a video he did when was ONLY 16. I think he is about 21 - 22 now.

This guy is unreal.

And, here's one from more recent times -

I honestly think he could KILL any of the big names of today.

JMO!

Priest to Jagger?

MSG to Mike Rutherford!

Simon blows Neil away.

Agreed, Phillips is more versatile. Still prefer what NP does.

Excellent post!!!! I totally agree! No matter how much I love Simon, Neil will always be my number one drummer until I die!!

Who's Simon Phillips?

Dude! I can't tell if you are being sarcastic!

Check out this video of Simon shredding on a tune called "Protocol."

You can click on other Simon videos on the right that will also blow your mind.

After watching "Protocol" just now there is now doubt that Simon blows Neil away.

Like I said before however Neil will always be my number one.

Phillips number 2.

Weckl number 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H0tm-Hs9qo

Great song, the keyboards are great, specially without a keyboardist!

:laughing guy:

Who's Simon Phillips?

Dude! I can't tell if you are being sarcastic!

Check out this video of Simon shredding on a tune called "Protocol."

You can click on other Simon videos on the right that will also blow your mind.

After watching "Protocol" just now there is now doubt that Simon blows Neil away.

Like I said before however Neil will always be my number one.

Phillips number 2.

Weckl number 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H0tm-Hs9qo

Great song, the keyboards are great, specially without a keyboardist!

:laughing guy:

I just watched Protocol with Simon and I really didn't see anything that Neil couldn't do.

A five or six months back, on another thread, I mentioned a very young drummer from New Zealand, Dylan Elise. If this kid isn't THE best technical drummer in the entire world, I don't know who is... and yet, I rarely hear his name.

Here is a link to a video he did when was ONLY 16. I think he is about 21 - 22 now.

This guy is unreal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHDjGtj18X0

And, here's one from more recent times -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElYCb6G7gSk

I honestly think he could KILL any of the big names of today.

Amazing perfomances. But art is all about communicating emotion, and a drum solo can only reach you so far. Team this guy up with RUSH caliber musicians and you've got something.

And he can grab me by the balls any time he wants. Woof!