Dream Theater DVD - Live in Rome, Italy...

Thunder Bay Rush

On another thread I was beaming about the quality of the live Dream Theater DVD, "Score" which is the 20th anniversary show from the Radio City Music Hall. On that thread, someone mentioned that the Budukon DVD is also excellent. I went to buy the Live at Budukon DVD today but HMV didn't have it. So, I bought the live one from Rome, Italy... it's called, "Panem et Ciccensis."

I actually fell asleep watching it and I wasn't even tired. I woke up with actual drool running down my thoat... The band sounds great in it, but holy shit, it's a boring, lack luster, poorly produced DVD. I produce television programming for a living so you can trust me, this one was poorly done. It almost looks like it was shot on film... kind of "soft" and fuzzy at times. NO shots of the audience members and that is what really makes a live DVD a good one... getting to feel like you're in the crowd. The Rush TMT Tour, "Live in Cleveland" DVD would be a good example of how clips of the audience can make a live concert video almost "come to life." Same with Rush in Rio...

There is no encore in the "Live in Rome" DVD... no extra features, nothing at all. The thing comes on, they play, they leave the stage. I'm not sure if LaBrie even says two words to the audience either... I guess he may have while I was asleep with drool coming down...

Anyway, sorry to piss on your pizza, but if you were thinking about buying this DVD, I wouldn't bother. The band sounds great, but you can get that from a buying a CD.

OUT!

Not really researching that too much, but it looks like you might have got one of the Ytse Jam releases... which was DT's line of "official" bootlegs and CD's..

They're meant to be really simple releases, and not a highly produced live releases like "Score" or "Budokan"

EDIT TO ADD: Okay did some further research, it's not even a Ytse Jam release, looks like a fan bootleg you got there..or possibly a fan club release (but I am almost certain they have not released any FC item since way before the Octaviarim era, and cannot remember them doing FC dvds)...but most likely a Fan Boot... sorry if it was marketed to you like a DT official release..

Edited by The Owl

This sounds like a bootleg to me. Hard to believe that you wouldn't be able to tell that by how described the video quality. It's pretty obvious this is not an official band release. I know they've got a new DVD for last tour coming out in May but I have no clue what this DVD is.

It's actually one of the fanclub DVDs from a few years ago, packaged for a label release in a similar manner as Rush's ABC 1974 live album (which was for a long time, The Fifth Order of Angels bootleg). The DT fanclub DVD was called Romavarium and it was recorded on Halloween 2005. It contained only the second set of the night (minus the encores) which was Octavarium in is entirety.

Edit: This is the concert in question

https://www.youtube....h?v=mB_wGspMouQ

Edited by PolarizeMe

To be honest, I saw some Ytse Jam releases which were of very poor quality as well...the Live in Chile DVD of the Octavarium Tour is terrible. But at least we had something different from the standard releases. A few of the cover CDs they did were great, and some of the demos as well. The best Ytse release for me so far is When Dream and Day reunite, when Derek Sherinian and Charlie Dominicci joined them on stage. Kevin Moore was invited but didn´t want to be a part of it - he´s been adamant about avoiding anything related to DT for years.

Now that Portnoy has left, it seems that LaBrie will handle the Ytse Jam releases, but nothing has come up so far. Either James is too lazy or there´s still a legal battle going on about who owns the material.

To be honest, I saw some Ytse Jam releases which were of very poor quality as well...the Live in Chile DVD of the Octavarium Tour is terrible. But at least we had something different from the standard releases. A few of the cover CDs they did were great, and some of the demos as well. The best Ytse release for me so far is When Dream and Day reunite, when Derek Sherinian and Charlie Dominicci joined them on stage. Kevin Moore was invited but didn´t want to be a part of it - he´s been adamant about avoiding anything related to DT for years.

Now that Portnoy has left, it seems that LaBrie will handle the Ytse Jam releases, but nothing has come up so far. Either James is too lazy or there´s still a legal battle going on about who owns the material.

I'd say both of those are true. James is the type of singer that shows up to a gig with his little microphone case and watches everyone else do all the work. Portnoy was (is) a workaholic. There's a big difference there. The 2004 20th anniversary of WDADU dvd is an awesome production for an inside job. I bought a couple drum videos from train of thought and 7DOIT and they were really cool for what they were. Portnoy's always been clear about what these ytsejam videos are about. Some of them are just fly on the wall recordings. To me, it's a real treat getting to see Mike recording tracks for the albums. He documented the work and shared it with the fans. I have no complaints about those videos. :codger:

Remember that Jeff Goldblum movie where he tests out his new teleportation machine on a nice piece of steak?? It reproduces just fine, looks amazing but when he tastes it... It just isn't the same.. Well to me Dream theater is kinda like that steak.. I'll stick to the original ;)

Just my opinion, not tryin to dump on anyone's dream lol :)

Edited by MMCXII
  • Like 1

It's actually one of the fanclub DVDs from a few years ago, packaged for a label release in a similar manner as Rush's ABC 1974 live album (which was for a long time, The Fifth Order of Angels bootleg). The DT fanclub DVD was called Romavarium and it was recorded on Halloween 2005. It contained only the second set of the night (minus the encores) which was Octavarium in is entirety.

Edit: This is the concert in question

https://www.youtube....h?v=mB_wGspMouQ

Yes, this definately IS the concert... I recognize Rudess' funky beard, James' shirt, and the weird blondish highlights in Pettrucci's hair. I also recognize the random black and white clips for no apparent reason. (The editor was trying to be all "artsy - fartsy" I guess).

I'm nearly positive that the DVD back cover said it was from 2010. Anyway, I returned to HMV today (One of Canada's biggest DVD and CD retailerS, as far as I know) and they gave me a store credit. I ordered the Budukon DVD yesterday and when it comes in, they'll call me. CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THAT ONE!

Thanks to everyone for all your help... I had NO idea these bootleg recordings could ever be purchased in a store, especially, a well-known one.

Remember that Jeff Goldblum movie where he tests out his new teleportation machine on a nice piece of steak?? It reproduces just fine, looks amazing but when he tastes it... It just isn't the same.. Well to me Dream theater is kinda like that steak.. I'll stick to the original ;)

What a great way of putting it...I still enjoy DT and went to see them with Mangini a few months back. Still follow Mike Portnoy´s projects and all that. But I´d take the Portnoy-era of DT over anything they´ve done since. Both sides lost a lot with the split.

What a great way of putting it...I still enjoy DT and went to see them with Mangini a few months back. Still follow Mike Portnoy´s projects and all that. But I´d take the Portnoy-era of DT over anything they´ve done since. Both sides lost a lot with the split.

Mangini only played on one album so its not really fair to compare the two eras of DT yet. I'll probably end up prefering the Portnoy-era over the Mangini-era as I doubt they'll ever top SDOIT, SFAM, and I&W. However, I do prefer Mangini's drummer over MP's (I'm not a drummer so my opinion isn't really valid).

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

I still haven't seen Mangini play. Apparently, he is amazing. Does he sing back up like Portnoy?

I couldn't imagine him being a better drummer than Portnoy though.. that guy is sick...

He´s awesome...does not sing at all, but he plays the hell out of those drums. I think they made a decision of keeping Portnoy´s parts almos the same on the old tracks, at least for the first tour, and that´s fine for me. But call me nostalgic or whatever, I still think they "broke the mold" when Portnoy left. Let´s see what the new record will bring anyway, and how Mangini helps outs with the writing of new songs. I like a lot of the songs on ADTOE - aside from the ballads, all others kick ass.