Let Me Beat A Dead Horse(Vapor Trails)

presto123

It's not gonna happen at this point. The remixes on the Retro 3 cd are as close as we will get.

Thank you Alex Lifeson aka jnoble. Ladies and gentlemen, Alex Lifeson has spoken. It's not gonna happen.

be a smartass about it if you want, but it's been 11 years and both Geddy and Alex have pretty much admitted in recent interviews that the ship for remastering and releasing VT has sailed at this point.

"We've been talking about [the Vapor Trails remix] for years but every time we try to make a move on it something else comes up and because it's a back burner issue it gets left. We were very close a while back and Rich was going to start remixing it when we finished this record but other things were slotted in but we'll get to it one of these days." - Alex Lifeson, Metal Express Radio, May 21, 2012

:Alex:

I don't have it here to link but around that same time in a seperate interview Alex said that maybe the album should be left as it is, something borne out of the time period it was recorded in and not further messed with. But hey, if you want to keep hope alive and keep waiting, more power to you. You're going to be waiting a long time for something that's most likely never going to happen at this point. For one thing there's no financial advantage for the band to invest time and money into something that's not going to make a return on it's investment. Not a lot of people bought the orginal VT when it came out, even less will buy the offical remix of a not-too-classic album.

Edited by jnoble

I'm listening to the album right now and It would really be interesting to hear a remix. I'm not a big fan of it but it's hooking me at the moment. Without a remix it will remain a seldom played guilty pleasure-----------------------HA! Edited by calirush

The problem isn't the mixing or the mastering of VT, it's the recording.

They made some fundamental errors in the recording process such as recording individual tracks too hot.

They could remix/remaster VT all they want and it's still going to have issues.

GIGO - Garbage In, Garbage Out.

I bet Steven Wilson could fix it! "Hey Steevo, are you listening?"

They made some fundamental errors in the recording process such as recording individual tracks too hot.

The reworked songs already released DO sound better and the work by others without original recordings are also a vast improvement so I have to disagree that they can't make it better.

I only heard the reworked versions of the two songs on Retrospective 3 once or twice, but unfortunately for me they didn't improve anything. It only magnified the weaknesses of the original material.

I'm glad people enjoy VT, but for me it's the old you can't polish a turd phenomena here. If they ever did release a remaster, remix or whatever, I don't know if I'd buy it, or even try to find a copy to listen to online... maybe I would. Every time I tried to re-listen to this album or a fan re-mix (and there were many attempts) to get into it, it was always such an unpleasant experience that I'd be very reticent to try it again, even if they somehow were able to clean up the hot soupy clipped painful to listen to mix.

I honestly think they should leave it alone. It'd be like them going and trying to re-record or remix Face Up or Neurotica or something. Some material just doesn't work and it's time to move on. Thankfully, Rush did move on with the often great S&A and the mostly outstanding CA. It's good that they did what they needed to do in 2002 to get it back together so they could move on to bigger and better things, but the album should have been scrapped and never released. It's unfortunate that it was (though many or most here would disagree), but that can't be undone. Just leave it alone and let it lie as it is. They've got a hell of a lot of great albums to focus on without trying to fix something that just didn't work.

Totally agree.

VT is a dog and thankfully Rush moved on to Feedback (which was a significant improvement over VT) and then to the outstanding S&A and CA.

It has is place in history as it did help get them together and touring again but I don't think any amount of work could help this mess. Just move on - don't look back. I would have no interest in picking up any re-recording or re-mix of this vile thing.

Glad some folks like - good for you and to each their own. But its not for me.

I bet Steven Wilson could fix it! "Hey Steevo, are you listening?"

Please G*d, no.

2 reasons for the comment...

1. I really don't get why people are so giddy about SW's work.. it all sounds alike to me (production wise)

2. If SW does 1 remix then 3 years down the road he'll decide he didn't really like the result and do another one.. and 5 years after that another one.. then 2 years after, another one... it'll be VT re-release hell.

The reworked songs already released DO sound better and the work by others without original recordings are also a vast improvement so I have to disagree that they can't make it better.

I only heard the reworked versions of the two songs on Retrospective 3 once or twice, but unfortunately for me they didn't improve anything. It only magnified the weaknesses of the original material.

I'm glad people enjoy VT, but for me it's the old you can't polish a turd phenomena here. If they ever did release a remaster, remix or whatever, I don't know if I'd buy it, or even try to find a copy to listen to online... maybe I would. Every time I tried to re-listen to this album or a fan re-mix (and there were many attempts) to get into it, it was always such an unpleasant experience that I'd be very reticent to try it again, even if they somehow were able to clean up the hot soupy clipped painful to listen to mix.

I honestly think they should leave it alone. It'd be like them going and trying to re-record or remix Face Up or Neurotica or something. Some material just doesn't work and it's time to move on. Thankfully, Rush did move on with the often great S&A and the mostly outstanding CA. It's good that they did what they needed to do in 2002 to get it back together so they could move on to bigger and better things, but the album should have been scrapped and never released. It's unfortunate that it was (though many or most here would disagree), but that can't be undone. Just leave it alone and let it lie as it is. They've got a hell of a lot of great albums to focus on without trying to fix something that just didn't work.

Totally agree.

VT is a dog and thankfully Rush moved on to Feedback (which was a significant improvement over VT) and then to the outstanding S&A and CA.

It has is place in history as it did help get them together and touring again but I don't think any amount of work could help this mess. Just move on - don't look back. I would have no interest in picking up any re-recording or re-mix of this vile thing.

Glad some folks like - good for you and to each their own. But its not for me.

:cheers:

Nice to hear another voice of reason in the wilderness. ;)

If you don't like VT don't listen to it, burn it if you have to, just stop whingeing about it and move on. This got old about 8 years ago...

If you have to complain why don't you write to Neil, he'd love to hear from you!

:moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon:

• Like 1

If you don't like VT don't listen to it, burn it if you have to, just stop whingeing about it and move on. This got old about 8 years ago...

If you have to complain why don't you write to Neil, he'd love to hear from you!

Nah, more fun to complain about it here. :yes:

• Like 1

You're just scared of Neil! :P

You're just scared of Neil! :P

guys wearing funny hats can do scary things

:LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO: ...hey, I'm rolling on the floor over here!

Best post ever!! :notworthy:

But I'm sure Neil doesn't want to hear about this shit either....no one is happy unless that they can complain and do this :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo: ??? Cranky, Cranky.....

Oh, I know why...they don't get enough of this :whipgirl: or :pussy: :laughing guy: :laughing guy:

(okay, I said it....)

:ph34r: :ph34r:

But I'm sure Neil doesn't want to hear about this shit either....no one is happy unless that they can complain and do this :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo: ??? Cranky, Cranky.....

Oh, I know why...they don't get enough of this :whipgirl: or :pussy: :laughing guy: :laughing guy:

(okay, I said it....)

They don't get enough whippings or milk? I don't get it...

:D

(okay, I said it....)

Heeeeyyyyyy.....take it easy on the Goobs. He just needs a TRF hug.

Earthshine from Rio is the reason that I started really listening to Rush. So, I was far from a hardcore fan when I first heard VT stuff. I personally believe that VT is a great album. There is a certain emotion to Vapor Trails that just seems to not be represented anywhere else. I can't put my finger on it. Edited by Dscrapre

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/35018146.jpg

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/35018153.jpg

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/35018212.jpg

:LOL:

---

But seriously, Vapor Trails is awesome :yes: ;)

(okay, I said it....)

They don't get enough whippings or milk? I don't get it...

:D

Humm, you're so close....Guess again.... :laughing guy: :laughing guy:

(okay, I said it....)

Heeeeyyyyyy.....take it easy on the Goobs. He just needs a TRF hug.

Just a hug? Nahhh, I think he needs more than that!!! :laughing guy: :laughing guy:

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs1/3088717_o.gif

Awww, cute playful moment!...The shepherd could have the kitty for lunch if it wanted trust me....

Now would be a perfect time to get this thing fixed. What are they waiting for? Put Chycki(or somebody else maybe) to work. Rush have admitted themselves that there was a screw up so why are they releasing 2112(5.1 mixes) instead of fixing this thing. If need be it should come out of their own pockets IMO because it was their mistake and we got a substandard product. Most people would buy it again anyway so I don't see the big deal. I love this band but they really frustrate me sometimes. Many of us have been waiting for a remaster for a decade and the band keeps dragging their feet. Hello!!!!!!! Is there anybody out there:)

Bring it on!! :drool:

Now would be a perfect time to get this thing fixed. What are they waiting for? Put Chycki(or somebody else maybe) to work. Rush have admitted themselves that there was a screw up so why are they releasing 2112(5.1 mixes) instead of fixing this thing. If need be it should come out of their own pockets IMO because it was their mistake and we got a substandard product. Most people would buy it again anyway so I don't see the big deal. I love this band but they really frustrate me sometimes. Many of us have been waiting for a remaster for a decade and the band keeps dragging their feet. Hello!!!!!!! Is there anybody out there:)

Bring it on!! :drool:

The above quote says that most people would buy it again, and that's simply not true. I highly doubt it would sell even 10,000 copies, and probably not even 5,000. First off, it's a reissue, so the publicity for it would be minimal, besides the facts that sales for a reissue would already be low. Secondly, it's NOT a popular album by them. The only people who would be remotely interested is super hardcore fans, and not even all of them would necessarily hear about it, much less want to plunk down cash for a reissue of their worst album. There's just no upside for the band, and all it would do would shine a spotlight (though a relatively small one) on their greatest failure. They made two far better albums after that clunker. Seriously, for everyone's sake, save for a small contingent of people who insist on enjoying it, let it lie...

Why don't we all just listen to the "Vapor Trails, Less Vapor" album on Grooveshark and move on? It's a really good remaster and I'm content with it. Heck, I'm even content with what Rush originally released. Don't be too picky, it was a rough time for the whole group and they deserve the credit for even trying Rush again. If you don't like the album, whatevs. If you like it, whatevs.

Let's just all come together as a Rush fan group and rejoice they're doing tours and such, still.

Yay for dumb speeches!

Why don't we all just listen to the "Vapor Trails, Less Vapor" album on Grooveshark and move on? It's a really good remaster and I'm content with it. Heck, I'm even content with what Rush originally released. Don't be too picky, it was a rough time for the whole group and they deserve the credit for even trying Rush again. If you don't like the album, whatevs. If you like it, whatevs.

Let's just all come together as a Rush fan group and rejoice they're doing tours and such, still.

Yay for dumb speeches!

I rejoice about that every day :yes: :D