Anthrax has another lineup change...

Rod in Toronto

Can these guys EVER catch a break? Now that they´ve done the Big Four Tour, released a killer album and were nominated for a Grammy, lead guitarrist Rob Caggiano has decided to focus more on his role as a producer and left the band...the split was fully amicable, and Rob will still produce their future albums, but the band has not yet announced his replacement. I read some speculation yesterday about Dan Spitz rejoining, or even Sepultura´s Andreas Kisser could be the new guy.

Can these guys EVER catch a break?

I know losing Caggiano is such a huge blow, they'll never recover from this :LOL:

Scott, Charlie and Frank are the heart and soul of the band. Caggiano didn't do anything that any other capable lead metal guitartist couldn't do. He did a good job while he was there but it's a position that can easily be filled by any guitar player who's competent at playing metal solos. The same goes for Spitz, people want him back but overall he didn't add anything but a few nice solos here and there. Scott and Charlie are the songwriters in Anthrax, as long as they don't leave the band will be fine.

I know losing Caggiano is such a huge blow, they'll never recover from this :LOL:

Scott, Charlie and Frank are the heart and soul of the band. Caggiano didn't do anything that any other capable lead metal guitartist couldn't do. He did a good job while he was there but it's a position that can easily be filled by any guitar player who's competent at playing metal solos. The same goes for Spitz, people want him back but overall he didn't add anything but a few nice solos here and there. Scott and Charlie are the songwriters in Anthrax, as long as they don't leave the band will be fine.

I saw some footage of Anthrax on Palladia recently, and Scott wasn't in the lineup. It may have been from 2011. My first thought was, it's not Anthrax without Scott Ian, and I switched it off.

He was a producer before he was in Anthrax and that is his first love . He wanted to produce the last Anthrax album but they went with someone else . Charlie runs that band and writes most of the Guitar parts and that does not really sit well with Rob . Very cool guy and i wish him all the best

I saw some footage of Anthrax on Palladia recently, and Scott wasn't in the lineup. It may have been from 2011. My first thought was, it's not Anthrax without Scott Ian, and I switched it off.

Yeah, Scott only left temporarily, I believe it was for the birth of his child. Even though it was only temporary, you just can't have Anthrax without him. Same with Charlie, he had to leave their touring a couple times over the last year or so. Once was for a death in the family and then he suffered some kind of injury and had to sit out for a bit again. I heard his replacement did very good but Charlie is a hell of a drummer and his style really helps to make Anthrax's sound what it is. Long term though, there is no replacing them in the band if either one left for good.

From what i've heard about Caggiano, he's a very cool guy. He did his job well while in Anthrax but he's certainly replaceable.

Edited by J2112YYZ

As much as I also think he´s replaceable, he´s MUCH better than Dan Spitz, who didn´t seem at all intereted in the band when i saw him live. Cagianno, on the other hand, seemed to enjoy being on stage with the guys. He´s a great producer as well, but I´m not sure how much he was involved in the creation process - maybe Scott and Charlie took control of everything and di not leave much creative space. But at least it´s good to see a clean break from a band for a change, after all the mess they did with Belladonna, Bush, Dan Nelson etc.

As much as I also think he´s replaceable, he´s MUCH better than Dan Spitz, who didn´t seem at all intereted in the band when i saw him live. Cagianno, on the other hand, seemed to enjoy being on stage with the guys. He´s a great producer as well, but I´m not sure how much he was involved in the creation process - maybe Scott and Charlie took control of everything and di not leave much creative space. But at least it´s good to see a clean break from a band for a change, after all the mess they did with Belladonna, Bush, Dan Nelson etc.

Yeah, it was nice to see clean break in the band for once. Scott and Charlie have always had control of the band. When Bush was in the band they let him write lyrics but other than that all the writting comes from Charlie and Scott. Belladonna has never wrote shit for the band as far as I know. From what i've learned through the years, Charlie writes the bulk of the muisc and Scott does the lyrics.

Yeah, it was nice to see clean break in the band for once. Scott and Charlie have always had control of the band. When Bush was in the band they let him write lyrics but other than that all the writting comes from Charlie and Scott. Belladonna has never wrote shit for the band as far as I know. From what i've learned through the years, Charlie writes the bulk of the muisc and Scott does the lyrics.

I knew Charlie wrote some sick riffs, like Inside Out, Only etc., but had no idea he wrote almost everything.

Which singer do you prefer anyway? I´ve seen them with Bush and Belladonna, and prefer Bush by a long shot! That being said, the last time I saw them Belladona did a great job, especially in the new tracks. Worship Music is his best performance with the band, while We´ve Come for You All is the best of Bush. Song-wise, nothing beats Among the Living!!!

I knew Charlie wrote some sick riffs, like Inside Out, Only etc., but had no idea he wrote almost everything.

Which singer do you prefer anyway? I´ve seen them with Bush and Belladonna, and prefer Bush by a long shot! That being said, the last time I saw them Belladona did a great job, especially in the new tracks. Worship Music is his best performance with the band, while We´ve Come for You All is the best of Bush. Song-wise, nothing beats Among the Living!!!

I like Bush as a singer more but the material with Joey is much better. You just can't beat albums like Spreading The Disease, Among The Living and Persistence Of Time. Joey is a great melodic singer but he doesn't have much emotion in his singing style. He just a very good singer and that's it. I like Bush's voice better because you can hear the passion and emotion he sings with, you really feel and believe everything he's singing.

I saw them live on the WCFYA tour and Bush was an amazing frontman. They played a really small venue that only held like three hundred people but Bush commanded that stage like he was playing an arena. I've seen them twice since Joey came back and he's really upped his game as a frontman. I would say him a Bush are equal with each other when it comes to that. Anthrax has always been one of my favorite bands. I never liked their debut album, it's just the cheesiest of metal cheese. I think SOE and Vol 8 are hit and miss but both still have some very good songs on it. I absolutely love the rest of their albums. Yes, I actually do really like most of the stuff on Stomp 442.

I like Bush as a singer more but the material with Joey is much better. You just can't beat albums like Spreading The Disease, Among The Living and Persistence Of Time. Joey is a great melodic singer but he doesn't have much emotion in his singing style. He just a very good singer and that's it. I like Bush's voice better because you can hear the passion and emotion he sings with, you really feel and believe everything he's singing.

I saw them live on the WCFYA tour and Bush was an amazing frontman. They played a really small venue that only held like three hundred people but Bush commanded that stage like he was playing an arena. I've seen them twice since Joey came back and he's really upped his game as a frontman. I would say him a Bush are equal with each other when it comes to that. Anthrax has always been one of my favorite bands. I never liked their debut album, it's just the cheesiest of metal cheese. I think SOE and Vol 8 are hit and miss but both still have some very good songs on it. I absolutely love the rest of their albums. Yes, I actually do really like most of the stuff on Stomp 442.

Spot on, dude!!! Here´s the Anthrax shows I´ve been to:

WCFYA Tour in Rio - 2005;

"Reunion" Tour with Belladonna in Sydney - 2005;

"Reunion" Tour with Bush after the whole Dan Nelson thing failed, in Perth - 2010;

Worship Music Tour - 2012.

The one in Perth I think was Bush´s last show with the band. I went to see Armored Saint/Dark Angel in 2009 in Perth but Bush was sick and Joey Vera took on vocals. To me, their biggest mistake EVER was releasing an album with Belladona´s songs sung by Bush and then going out on the "Reunion" tour with Belladonna - stupid move! That´s when they lost the plot - Bush did not want to tour because his wife had just had a baby, and then decided to quit. Then they sacked Belladonna and placed their bets on yet another singer, who was sacked 2-3 months before their new album was to be released.

...and Rob Caggiano joins Denmak band Volbeat!!! http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/former-anthrax-guitarist-rob-caggiano-officially-joins-volbeat/

This is great news - Volbeat is a kickass band, and maybe this will give them a little bit more airplay. If you haven´t heard them, chenck them out TODAY! Here´s a taste:

Oh man, that's awesome! Volbeat rules! Can't wait to hear him on the new record. (Hope there's a new Anthrax record too.) Edited by adace1

That continual run of StD, AtL, SoE and PoT is all that matters for the Anthrax story, period.

It´s their classic period, :yes: , but the Bush era has some great songs. And check out this one, from their latest album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRwt51D-Tzg