10 Most Epic ALBUMS of the 60's

rushgoober

In the spirit of this thread with the most epic TRACKS of the 60's:

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/79802-10-most-epic-tracks-of-the-60s/

So again, this isn't a place merely to list your favorite albums of the decade (though it can contain them), but to list your favorite EPIC albums of the decade.

In terms of defining "epic," I'll go with standard dictionary definitions like "surpassing the usual or ordinary, particularly in scope or size" or "heroic and impressive in quality."

It could be less or more than 10 albums, even. List and/or discuss other people's lists!

1. The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (not my very favorite album of the decade - it's close - but definitely the most epic - the album that launched a thousand ships, so to speak)

2. The Beatles - The White Album (much farther from my favorite album of the decade, but must be given props for being both a double album, and quite revolutionary, despite a handful of weaker tracks)

3. The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed (progressive rock before it existed - a very important album)

4. Pink Floyd - The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (Syd's Pink Floyd was a unique and brilliant vision)

5. King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King (of the great prog rock albums of all time, this is the only one to sneak into the 60's)

6. Love - Forever Changes (my fave album of the decade - says so much about the times while also being timeless)

7. Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Trout Mask Replica (this album is MESSED UP, but a true work of art)

8. The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland (Jimi goes for a double album and strikes gold - his first two albums are brilliant, this one is more mature)

9. Jefferson Airplane - After Bathing At Baxter's (their best album - very complex and heady stuff - one of the best albums of all time)

10. Grateful Dead - Anthem of the Sun (the band would never be this psychedelic and experimental again - very ambitious and involved)

11. The Moody Blues - On the Threshold of a Dream (my fave album by them and an absolute classic)

12. The Mothers of Invention - Freak Out! (a ridiculously groundbreaking and influential album from 1966 that joins the past with the present/future in a brilliantly schizophrenic way)

Honorable Mentions:

Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow

The Moody Blues - In Search of the Lost Chord

The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced?

The Beatles - Abbey Road

The Who - The Who Sell Out

The Pretty Things - S.F. Sorrow

The 13th Floor Elevators - Easter Everywhere

Just popped in to say Electric Ladyland, but I see you've already got that covered :ebert: (Nice to see Freak Out and Trout Mask Replica in your list, too)

I'd probably say Led Zep 2. Not my favourite Zep album, but pretty influential.

Iron Butterfly's In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, if only for the epic title track.

I'll have to give it more thought

No repeats on my list, compiled during a very quick scan of my iPod:

The Beatles - Meet the Beatles

Otis Redding - Otis Blue: Otis Redding Sings Soul

The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde

Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced?

Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison

MC5 - Kick Out the Jams

The Stooges - The Stooges

The Who - Tommy

Great lists above ^^^^^ i just want to mention.

..Chicago Transit Authority (1969) - Chicago

Volunteers (1969) - Jefferson Airplane

. Surrealistic Pillow (1967) - Jefferson Airplane

Astral Weeks (1968) - Van Morrison

http://www.therushfo...cks-of-the-60s/

So again, this isn't a place merely to list your favorite albums of the decade (though it can contain them), but to list your favorite EPIC albums of the decade.

In terms of defining "epic," I'll go with standard dictionary definitions like "surpassing the usual or ordinary, particularly in scope or size" or "heroic and impressive in quality."

It could be less or more than 10 albums, even. List and/or discuss other people's lists!

1. The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (not my very favorite album of the decade - it's close - but definitely the most epic - the album that launched a thousand ships, so to speak)

2. The Beatles - The White Album (much farther from my favorite album of the decade, but must be given props for being both a double album, and quite revolutionary, despite a handful of weaker tracks)

3. The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed (progressive rock before it existed - a very important album)

4. Pink Floyd - The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (Syd's Pink Floyd was a unique and brilliant vision)

5. King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King (of the great prog rock albums of all time, this is the only one to sneak into the 60's)

6. Love - Forever Changes (my fave album of the decade - says so much about the times while also being timeless)

7. Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Trout Mask Replica (this album is MESSED UP, but a true work of art)

8. The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland (Jimi goes for a double album and strikes gold - his first two albums are brilliant, this one is more mature)

9. Jefferson Airplane - After Bathing At Baxter's (their best album - very complex and heady stuff - one of the best albums of all time)

10. Grateful Dead - Anthem of the Sun (the band would never be this psychedelic and experimental again - very ambitious and involved)

11. The Moody Blues - On the Threshold of a Dream (my fave album by them and an absolute classic)

12. The Mothers of Invention - Freak Out! (a ridiculously groundbreaking and influential album from 1966 that joins the past with the present/future in a brilliantly schizophrenic way)

Honorable Mentions:

The Beatles - Abbey Road

Let me add in one more honorable mention - this album is a bit schizophrenic, with side two getting pretty experimental and crazy. Side two is perhaps only partially successful, but always at least interesting. Side one contains some of the best psychedelic songs ever:

The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band - Vol. III: A Child's Guide to Good & Evil

That has to be one of the wordiest group name/album title combinations of the era!

Let me also mention as more honorable mentions:

Fifty Foot Hose - Cauldron

White Noise - An Electric Storm

Lazy Smoke - Corridor of Faces

Mandrake Memorial - Puzzle

The Soft Machine - S/T

All of those are completely awesome.

and how could I forget The Kinks - The Kinks are the Village Green Preservation Society or The Zombies - Odyssey and Oracle or The Byrds - The Notorious Byrd Brothers or Cream - Disraeli Gears or Fairport Convention - What We Did On Our Holidays or Simon & Garfunkel - Bookends or Traffic - Mr. Fantasy or Country Joe & The Fish - Electric Music for the Mind and Body - all of those are absolute classics that belong on my top ten list - why do my top 10 lists always consist of at least 20 items?!

Edited by rushgoober

Honorable Mentions:

The Beatles - Abbey Road

Let me add in one more honorable mention - this album is a bit schizophrenic, with side two getting pretty experimental and crazy. Side two is perhaps only partially successful, but always at least interesting. Side one contains some of the best psychedelic songs ever:

The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band - Vol. III: A Child's Guide to Good & Evil

That has to be one of the wordiest group name/album title combinations of the era!

The Soft Machine - S/T

and how could I forget The Kinks - The Kinks are the Village Green Preservation Society or The Zombies - Odyssey and Oracle or The Byrds - The Notorious Byrd Brothers or Cream - Disraeli Gears or Fairport Convention - What We Did On Our Holidays or Traffic - Mr. Fantasy or Country Joe & The Fish - Electric Music for the Mind and Body - all of those are absolute classics that belong on my top ten list - why do my top 10 lists always consist of at least 20 items?!

I think of myself as a very knowledgable guy in the music world.

You fukking blow me away!

Thanks for expanding my mind and narrowing my pocketbook. LOL

Honorable Mentions:

The Beatles - Abbey Road

The Soft Machine - S/T

and how could I forget The Kinks - The Kinks are the Village Green Preservation Society or The Zombies - Odyssey and Oracle or The Byrds - The Notorious Byrd Brothers or Cream - Disraeli Gears or Fairport Convention - What We Did On Our Holidays or Traffic - Mr. Fantasy or Country Joe & The Fish - Electric Music for the Mind and Body - all of those are absolute classics that belong on my top ten list - why do my top 10 lists always consist of at least 20 items?!

:cheers:

Well, I know a lot about some very specific musical genres. In other genres, I'm clueless. You probably have more general rock knowledge than I do. If I truly do narrow your pocketbook, at least let me know what you think about whatever albums you end up getting if you do! :)

Beatles - Revolver (probably should be 3-4 Beatles albums on the list, but I will stick to 1 album per artist)

Cream - Disraeli Gears

Hendrix - Are You Experienced

Led Zeppelin I

The Doors - self titled

Grateful Dead - Live Dead

Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited

Stones - Let It Bleed

Jeff Beck - Truth

King Crimson - Court Of The Crimson King

honorable mention to:

CSN&Y - Deja Vu - I thought it was a '69 album but did some fact checking and found out it was March 70 (although recorded in the 60s)

The Doors - self titled

I seriously considered this, but in the end ( ;) ) it's an inconsistent album. There are no bad songs, but there are some only ok songs to go along with the completely brilliant earth changing ones as well...

Great choice! I tend to discount most live albums from best of lists as I rarely think they hold up to studio albums, but this one is something special.

Stones - Let It Bleed

The Stones again I think suffered from inconsistent albums, but this might be as close as they ever got to a consistent one. Still, some weaker material keeps it off my list, but a great album nonetheless...

The Doors - self titled

I seriously considered this, but in the end ( ;) ) it's an inconsistent album. There are no bad songs, but there are some only ok songs to go along with the completely brilliant earth changing ones as well...

Great choice! I tend to discount most live albums from best of lists as I rarely think they hold up to studio albums, but this one is something special.

Stones - Let It Bleed

The Stones again I think suffered from inconsistent albums, but this might be as close as they ever got to a consistent one. Still, some weaker material keeps it off my list, but a great album nonetheless...

Nice 'In The End' reference.

I think it is appropriate for 'Live Dead' to be chosen over say 'Aoxomoxoa' or 'Anthem Of The Sun', is because the Dead really were all about being a live band in the moment creating magic in which many of the studio albums just couldn't convey.

I will agree with you on the Stones inconsistencies. I just listened to this album last weekend and it has been stuck in my head. And thus, it made my list.

Honorable Mentions:

The Beatles - Abbey Road

The Soft Machine - S/T

Well, I know a lot about some very specific musical genres. In other genres, I'm clueless. You probably have more general rock knowledge than I do. If I truly do narrow your pocketbook, at least let me know what you think about whatever albums you end up getting if you do! :)

Hey dude! I just found a couple of reissues from a band called the Chocolate Watch Band. "No Way Out" and "The Inner Mystique." Cool garage psyche stuff! I think you would like them.

Also how about a band called The Standells? They cover some Stones stuff. Cool shit.

Endless.

Honorable Mentions:

The Beatles - Abbey Road

The Soft Machine - S/T

Hey dude! I just found a couple of reissues from a band called the Chocolate Watch Band. "No Way Out" and "The Inner Mystique." Cool garage psyche stuff! I think you would like them.

Also how about a band called The Standells? They cover some Stones stuff. Cool shit.

Endless.

The Chocolate Watch Band also had one other album, One Step Beyond, but it isn't as good as those two. Those two albums, however, while containing great songs, are wildly inconsistent. All you really need by them is a good compilation.

The Standells I know of, and I think I have a song or two of theirs, but they weren't really psychedelic, so I never really pursued them.