Need Expert Rush Advice

Lorraine

Hello everyone! I am new here and a Rush fan since the early eighties. Unfortunately, I walked away from the music scene for twenty years and have only recently returned. As you can imagine, I have a lot to catch up with and on.

So, here is the advice I need.

I would like to get a DVD of a Rush concert that would include interviews with the band, as well as one of their "Best of" CDs.

Can you please give me your expert advice on the best ones to get?

As an aside, I think Neal Peart is the best drummer in the world of rock. Also, I never saw anyone play the bass quite like Geddy with such ease and smoothness.

Edited by Lorraine

Hi Lorraine,

All of their recent Concert DVDs are great. I think the best "extra footage" concert is the R30 DVD. If you're looking for "behind the scenes" stuff - you should really go with the "Beyond the Lighted Stage" documentary. No concert, but really great insights.

For a CD - your best bet would be the 3 "Retrospective" CDs - each one covers a different time frame. They switched labels in 1988, so there really isn't one "all inclusive hits package". Most, if not all, of the other greatest hits compilations only cover their work up to 1988.

Hope this helps!

Clem

• Like 1

Time machine DVD is amazing and I'd say don't waste your time with greatest hits disc.. Just keep reading this forum to figure out which album your want to buy first.. Or you could just start with the latest one.. Most agree that it's the best in a long time!

And welcome back!

• Like 1

Welcome Lorraine, I am a fellow Washingtonian (olympic peninsula sequim area). I hope you were able to make the show at the key arena in seattle last tuesday, it was spectacular!!

As far as dvd's, R30 is a must have, the audio is great with stunning visuals! The blu-ray edition includes the entire show, the dvd omits I think five songs.

If you want interviews and backstage fottage, get Rush in Rio. The concert is great too!

You also gotta see the documentary called "Beyond the Lighted Stage", goes through the entire history of Rush and lots of behind the scenes, with many famous musicians giving them a nod.

Time machine tour is an awesome live dvd, as is snakes and arrows. All high energy concerts, but I personally would recommend R30 as first choice

• Like 1

Thank you all for your kindness and warm welcome. I was so afraid how I would be received here, but who else could I go to for the expert advice? :)

I will see if I can get a good deal for some of the DVDs on Amazon. This morning, I was going to order two of their 1980s albums - they're the ones I remember the best. Maybe I should go ahead and complete the order I left hanging on Amazon.

Welcome Lorraine, I am a fellow Washingtonian (olympic peninsula sequim area). I hope you were able to make the show at the key arena in seattle last tuesday, it was spectacular!!

As far as dvd's, R30 is a must have, the audio is great with stunning visuals! The blu-ray edition includes the entire show, the dvd omits I think five songs.

If you want interviews and backstage fottage, get Rush in Rio. The concert is great too!

You also gotta see the documentary called "Beyond the Lighted Stage", goes through the entire history of Rush and lots of behind the scenes, with many famous musicians giving them a nod.

Time machine tour is an awesome live dvd, as is snakes and arrows. All high energy concerts, but I personally would recommend R30 as first choice

Architeutis, I live on the eastern side of the state. No, I could not go to the concert, but I will have you know that they were very much on my mind that entire evening and night wondering how it was going and what they were playing.

They are an amazing band!

Edited by Lorraine

Hi!

For live dvds, I recommend the 'Snakes and Arrows' show - it's well-filmed, the boys sound great, and it's a great setlist, though some might be a bit turned off by the inclusion of so many songs from Snakes and Arrows.

Honestly, I don't really recommend comopilations - I love listening to albums as wholes, and find I get the most enjoyment by listening to music this way. But of course, to each their own! All I can say is that I hope you get to enjoy each and every album as time goes by - there's so much good stuff here! As for choosing albums to start with, I'd suggest Counterparts, Clockwork Angels, Presto, and Vapor Trails for a start, but of course, do what you want to do! Just enjoy the ride of getting back into Rush!

:cheers:

Hi!

For live dvds, I recommend the 'Snakes and Arrows' show - it's well-filmed, the boys sound great, and it's a great setlist, though some might be a bit turned off by the inclusion of so many songs from Snakes and Arrows.

Honestly, I don't really recommend comopilations - I love listening to albums as wholes, and find I get the most enjoyment by listening to music this way. But of course, to each their own! All I can say is that I hope you get to enjoy each and every album as time goes by - there's so much good stuff here! As for choosing albums to start with, I'd suggest Counterparts, Clockwork Angels, Presto, and Vapor Trails for a start, but of course, do what you want to do! Just enjoy the ride of getting back into Rush!

:cheers:

Mika, I agree with you about listening to albums as a whole. The reason why I asked about a "Best of" collection is because the only Rush I know is the Rush from the 1980s, and I wanted to get a feel for their later music.

We only have dial up internet connection in our area, so it is hard to either watch vids or listen to audios on the internet for me. For example, to load a Distant Early Warning video takes almost one hour. I wish I were joking, but I am not. Anyway, this is why I can't listen to their songs or watch their videos on the computer. It would make things a lot easier for me if I could.

I ordered Rush in Rio this morning. Had I ordered last night, I could have gotten the R30 DVD for $3.00 on Amazon. This morning, both places that had it for under $4 were gone.

So, I am on my way. I will take it slow and enjoy the ride. I have to say it again, I find them amazing, and I know you do too!!!! :coy:

Lorraine, you must get Rush Rio on DVD. Then, go with Exit Stage Left on DVD. Then, close your eyes and start grabbing them off the shelf.

Welcome to the board... only friendly people on here. Well, there was this one guy who was a dick, but I think a few of the boys told him to screw off... or something like that.

:D

• Like 1

Yay for Rush in Rio! The 'Boys in Brazil' documentary is awesome, as well; some very funny moments. I hope you enjoy!

And your internet sounds frustratingly slow... I don't dabble much in watching videos on my computer (well, I have all the Rush stuff on dvd!), but it would be so frustrating to take an hour to watch a 5-minute video.

I hope you get to amass the entire Rush catalog! A year ago I'd decided to fill the gaps in my dvd collection, and managed to buy 4 Rush dvds for about $40, which I considered very reasonable! And they've certainly given me lots of viewing pleasure, particulary the Replay one with three 80s concerts.

:)

Lorraine, you must get Rush Rio on DVD. Then, go with Exit Stage Left on DVD. Then, close your eyes and start grabbing them off the shelf.

Welcome to the board... only friendly people on here. Well, there was this one guy who was a dick, but I think a few of the boys told him to screw off... or something like that.

Thank you for the welcome! I did order the DVD - it was $3.75 plus s/h on Amazon. Can you beat that? :)

You're a drummer? Maybe you can answer a question for me. I know absolutely nothing about music other than I love it. When I was young(er), this is the pre-internet and DVD days...you know, the dark ages when all we had were turntables and record albums...we just listened. Today, we can watch. So, I watch and am fascinated by them playing their instruments.

In this video http://www.last.fm/music/Rush/+videos/+1-AW2uNUPT-yo, I notice that Neil, in one part, has his hands crossed over at the wrists to play the drums. Is there a particular reason why he did this, or is this just the way he does things? I love to watch him on those drums. Such force and energy!

Architeutis, I live on the eastern side of the state. No, I could not go to the concert, but I will have you know that they were very much on my mind that entire evening and night wondering how it was going and what they were playing.

Yes they are! If you live in eastern washington, it is said they they will be doing a second leg of this tour in summer of 2013. They may possibly be making a stop at The Gorge in quincy. they love playing there and is a great place to see them :-) So keep checking..

• Like 1

Greatest hits CDs have terrible quality compared to the original albums. Lots of brickwalling, especially in the retrospective albums. If you MUST get some greatest hits, I think the retrospective series has the best selection but I don't recommend it. Since you already ordered Rio which I think is a solid live album I'll spare you my recommendation. ;)

Thank you for the welcome! I did order the DVD - it was $3.75 plus s/h on Amazon. Can you beat that? :)

You're a drummer? Maybe you can answer a question for me. I know absolutely nothing about music other than I love it. When I was young(er), this is the pre-internet and DVD days...you know, the dark ages when all we had were turntables and record albums...we just listened. Today, we can watch. So, I watch and am fascinated by them playing their instruments.

In this video http://www.last.fm/m.../ 1-AW2uNUPT-yo, I notice that Neil, in one part, has his hands crossed over at the wrists to play the drums. Is there a particular reason why he did this, or is this just the way he does things? I love to watch him on those drums. Such force and energy!

First of all, $3.75? Holy sheeeeeeeeeet, that's almost free.

I watched the video and the only place that I can see what you mean is where he is doing what is called a "rim shot." It's where the drummer uses his snare drum hand (the left hand for right handed drummers like Neil and me) and lays the stick down across the head of the drum (also called a skin) so that 3/4 of the stick is on the snare head and the other 1/4 of it is sticking out over the rim of the drum. So, when he strikes the stick downward, the sound that is made by hitting the rim with the stick sounds kind of like a wood block. You hear this rim shot type sound in country music a lot. Most drummers actually turn the stick around so the butt end strikes the rim, mainly. You normally get a better and deeper rim shot sound this way.

There is another type of rim shot but it's something different altogether. It's when the drummer strikes the snare drum and hits the head and the rim (near the handle of the drumstick) at the same time. This gives a high pitched "ping" sound. Almost like reverb... and it's very loud. If you listen to early Yes, Bill Bruford did that a lot so his snare drum could "cut" through and be heard over Chris Squire's loud and "treble -ish" bass sound of the time.

Hope this helps...

Now go out and buy a goddam drum set!! Then, move to Canada and I'll give you free lessons...

:gg:

• Like 1

Yes they are! If you live in eastern washington, it is said they they will be doing a second leg of this tour in summer of 2013. They may possibly be making a stop at The Gorge in quincy. they love playing there and is a great place to see them :-) So keep checking..

YES!! If they come to The Gorge this coming Summer it is absolutely a must attend. One of the best concert venues in the world (really!!) and the guys always seem to rip it up there likely cuz they like the venue so much (all artists do actually). I've seen Rush there twice as well as quite a number of other bands/artists (Dylan, Petty, Stevie Ray, etc., etc.....) and everyone seems to really be on top of their game there.

• Like 1

First of all, $3.75? Holy sheeeeeeeeeet, that's almost free.

I watched the video and the only place that I can see what you mean is where he is doing what is called a "rim shot." It's where the drummer uses his snare drum hand (the left hand for right handed drummers like Neil and me) and lays the stick down across the head of the drum (also called a skin) so that 3/4 of the stick is on the snare head and the other 1/4 of it is sticking out over the rim of the drum. So, when he strikes the stick downward, the sound that is made by hitting the rim with the stick sounds kind of like a wood block. You hear this rim shot type sound in country music a lot. Most drummers actually turn the stick around so the butt end strikes the rim, mainly. You normally get a better and deeper rim shot sound this way.

There is another type of rim shot but it's something different altogether. It's when the drummer strikes the snare drum and hits the head and the rim (near the handle of the drumstick) at the same time. This gives a high pitched "ping" sound. Almost like reverb... and it's very loud. If you listen to early Yes, Bill Bruford did that a lot so his snare drum could "cut" through and be heard over Chris Squire's loud and "treble -ish" bass sound of the time.

Hope this helps...

Now go out and buy a goddam drum set!! Then, move to Canada and I'll give you free lessons...

:gg:

Thunder, the part I am talking about occurs at about the one minute mark. The lyrics that are being sung are:

Cruising under your radar

Watching from satellites

Take a page from the red book

Keep them in your sights

Red alert

Red alert

He's leaning forward. When the beat changes for "Left and rights of passage..", he straightens up a bit.

I think if I sat down at a drum set and played - at my age I would keel over after. But thanks for the offer anyway. Who knows what talent I may have had musically that remains buried because it was never tapped into???

Yes, that's the part where is using a rim shot. Then, as the song and the beat picks up, he goes back to the straight snare drum notes. It's a fairly common fdrum technique, the rim shot is. And, you are NEVER too old to learn how to play an instrument - even the drums!!

Rush In Rio came today and I just finished watching the whole thing. Yes. The whole thing!!

I am too overwhelmed to say much at the moment, but I do have one question. Please understand that this is my first exposure to them as real people rather than musicians in a rock band. My question is: is that what they are really like? Did what I see in that DVD their real personalities as far as any of you know?

Next: I am ordering R30.

Thunder, I finally saw the drum technique you are talking about. In Rush In Rio. there was an overhead shot of Neil playing and I could see him clearly doing what you told me about.

Yep, that's pretty much what they're like....

If you really, really want to see and hear what they're like as people, I would urge you to get "Beyond the Lighted Stage" DVD which is basically a documentary of their entire career as a band. It is awesome and incredibly well done....here's the link to it on Amazon:

Rush - Beyond the Lighted Stage

• Like 1

If you really, really want to see and hear what they're like as people, I would urge you to get "Beyond the Lighted Stage" DVD which is basically a documentary of their entire career as a band. It is awesome and incredibly well done....here's the link to it on Amazon:

Do you know what the difference is between the one disk Blu-ray version and the more spendy two disk regular version?

Do you know what the difference is between the one disk Blu-ray version and the more spendy two disk regular version?

Probably no difference in content, just the type of player you need.