Rush be The Same with Rutsey

drumbum

well i personally think Working Man and Finding My Way are both excellent songs, and those were Rutsey songs. i think with Rutsey they still would have been really good but they wouldn't have quite been the "GREATEST BAND IN THE WORLD!" that they are with peart, cuz we all know that Peart is like the greatest drummer in the world, as well as an excellent songwriter.

QUOTE (Freedom_Fighter @ Jun 22 2005, 07:37 PM)
well i personally think Working Man and Finding My Way are both excellent songs, and those were Rutsey songs. i think with Rutsey they still would have been really good but they wouldn't have quite been the "GREATEST BAND IN THE WORLD!" that they are with peart, cuz we all know that Peart is like the greatest drummer in the world, as well as an excellent songwriter.

Rutsey didn't write those...Geddy and Alex did

No way. Besides providing way better drumming than Rutsey, and more interesting and creative lyrics than Geddy or Alex were doing, it was really Neil who pushed them to write more complex material and turn into a more progressive band. Without Neil, there is no way 2112 or any other of their conceptual records would have been written.

QUOTE (D-13 @ Jun 22 2005, 08:42 PM)
QUOTE (Digital Man @ Jun 22 2005, 04:00 PM)
This really seems like a silly question....

laugh.gif yes.gif

My answer...NO

yes.gif goodpost.gif No way Rush would have been the same. It's probably been said, but Neil brings better drumming along with lyrics that Rutsey could never have dreamed of. One of the reasons why I like Rush so much is because of their unique lyrics. Just goes to show you that the media can hate you all you want, but if you have a strong fan base (and people who know good music!) you'll have no trouble. trink39.gif

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Jun 22 2005, 09:01 PM)
QUOTE (D-13 @ Jun 22 2005, 08:42 PM)
QUOTE (Digital Man @ Jun 22 2005, 04:00 PM)
This really seems like a silly question....

laugh.gif yes.gif

My answer...NO

yes.gif goodpost.gif No way Rush would have been the same. It's probably been said, but Neil brings better drumming along with lyrics that Rutsey could never have dreamed of. One of the reasons why I like Rush so much is because of their unique lyrics. Just goes to show you that the media can hate you all you want, but if you have a strong fan base (and people who know good music!) you'll have no trouble. trink39.gif

Totally agree with ya on that one smile.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (ES-335 @ Jun 22 2005, 08:28 PM)
They would have been completely different and likely would not have survived the 70s.

yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif

I agree with you 100%.

In fact, one of the reasons Rutsey and Ged/Alex split was due to "creative differences". Ged and Alex were ready to start getting into more complex music after their debut album, and Rutsey wanted to continue with the standard 70s zep-style rock. Suffice it to say, I'm very glad things happened like they did. wink.gif

I firmly believe that Rush would've gotten lost in the quagmire of 70s radio rock if Neil had not joined the band. There is really nothing outstanding whatsoever about their debut album. Yes, it's got some good jam songs on it, and it adds good variety to their overall catalog of music, but I think that if their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th albums would've continued with that brand of bluesy rock, they would've gotten nowhere fast. You can't really make an enduring career based on that stuff, with rare exception. And that's the direction Rutsey wanted to go in... and if Rush would've managed to "make it" in that direction, then they'd now probably fit into a category with Aerosmith and other similar bands that I never listen to, so they'd be minus at least one fan. laugh.gif

Of course we can never know what might've happened, but I don't see any reason to think that Rutsey would've propelled them beyond a fraction of what Rush w/ Neil has accomplished.

If Neil hadn't joined, they would probably never read Ayn Rand and so songs like 2112, Anthem and Freewill would never have existed. Individualism and objectivism are the philosophies that have shaped the band... and they were introduced to Ged and Al through Neil.

QUOTE (drumbum @ Jun 22 2005, 06:47 PM)
Do You think Rush would be the same with Rutsey on the Drums instead of Neil?
And would they have as many fans, or popular songs?

Did you post this silly question just to stir a pot - or do you have an opinion on this? Do YOU think Rush would be 30+ years strong with Rusty (I mean) Rutsey behind the drums - contributing nothing toward lyric writing?

To me, JR was barely half the musician that Geddy and Alex were (even back then), and could contribute little if nothing at all to their songwriting. I won't even bother entertaining a comparison to Neil. The only thing those two share is a band title - they both can say they were in Rush. That's it.

John Rutsey was alright for the first album. His playing on it seemed to match the kind of music they were playing. Sometimes, "less" really is more.

QUOTE (Freedom_Fighter @ Jun 22 2005, 09:15 PM)
yea but the point is the band wrote them when they had rutsey instead of neil and they were still really good.

Agreed they were really good - but I don't think Rutsey had much to do with that. It could have been anybody sitting behind the kit, and those songs still would have been good. Alex and Geddy would have remained suffocated musicians who couldn't truly be what they could be because they were being held back. Neil is NOT the reason Geddy and Alex are as good as they are - but he is a major (yet equal) contributing factor to their success. The equation would not have been complete.

And if Neil hadn't come along, we'd be able to pick up Finding My Way and Working Man on those various artists 70's rock collection discs from K-Tel along with ELO, Argent, and Rare Earth. I wonder what THOSE guys are up to nowadays. Not headlining 30th anniversary tours, that's for sure.

QUOTE (Freedom_Fighter @ Jun 22 2005, 07:37 PM)

Well John Rutsey even wrote this song with Rush which was a side b song called "You Can't Fight It" which was never released on any album. http://www.2112.net/sphere/virtualsongs/au...0Fight%20It.mp3

Archived