Drum Solo

tripdad

Haven't seen this specifically discussed. What are some thoughts on the drum solos for this tour. Specifically, the fact that there are three short solos versus one longer solo?

For me personally, I like the idea. Don't get me wrong, I have always enjoyed the solos, but I think keeping them shorter keeps many folk's attention better. In the past i have seen many hit the bathrooms and beer lines during the solos.

Thoughts? Like it or not so much?

For me personally (as a drummer) I loved the long arrangement. HOnestly, I would rather see him do away with eithe rthe electronic portrion or the big band portion and just do more on the snare and acoustic set.

What he's done (and I'll find out for sure tonight) is take his typical solo and broke it up into 3 parts. So, still get same thing, just in different stages. Probably easier for him physically (as what he's done before is a work out), and allows fans llike me to enjoy his craft even more.

Can't wait for tonight's show!

The electronic drum solo caught me off guard and blew me away. It isn't as impressive in terms of brute force like the crosses he did in the Rio solo but it has a ton of elegance that you just don't expect from a one man percussion section. I think Neil did it to avoid tiring himself out, but DAMN it worked out extremely well. I didn't find anything all that special about the other two solos. They just seemed like snippets of his usual solos.

I think they should do away with the solo altogether. Or perhaps have a really short one. This way you can add two more songs.

As Bubbles once said, "You know he is going to do that drum solo!"

I don't think they would add two songs if they did away with the solo. That time gives Geddy and Alex a break. In past solos when they return it often starts out slower without drums (such as Resist) which in turn gives Neil a break.

Edited by tripdad

I liked the idea, really there was always parts of Neil's long drum solo that I didn't really care for. Did miss the Big Band jazz segment this year.

I liked the idea, really there was always parts of Neil's long drum solo that I didn't really care for. Did miss the Big Band jazz segment this year.

That Big Band segment was good....once.

The HF solo was nice. Band came back into the song to finish it off. It would have been nice just to have that one solo. Not three. The Electronic solo was pointless. Anyone would sound good playing those sound sources. Some people dug it. Just not into that stuff. Worked well into the show. It flowed in nicely to red sector K

I think they should do away with the solo altogether. Or perhaps have a really short one. This way you can add two more songs.

Hush your mouth! That's blasphemy!

Earlier I commented about removing the electronic section. AFter seeing the show in CLT, I have to say the electronic section prior to Red Sector A was incredible! The 3 mini-solos were awesome!

I was glad not to hear the big band bit this year. I think he's gone into it too much since the Burnin' for Buddy days. OTOH, I love the electronic stuff since there's so much he can do in terms of atmosphere and ambience.

Honestly, the most enjoyable solo I've ever heard from him might be what he played on the CP tour. I actually don't care for the Different Stages version; I've got a recording (Cold Fire) where the solo is just tremendous (especially the Momo's Dance Party bit? I think that's it. The bit where a basic snare and kick pattern are triggered while Neil's plays some patterns on I guess the marimba. Or maybe it's the Scars redux).

IMO, I preferred the solos of the late 80's and early 90's, which IMO were a perfect mix of electronic and traditional solo. Perhaps my favorite was from the Roll the Bones tour, which featured thd drum pattern from Scars. Just about everything since had become bloated. Don't get me wrong, there was a lot of interesting stuff in there, but I think Neil has gone about as far in that direction as he could. This is why I preferred the three shorter solo approach from this tour, which allowed him to still stretch out (while giving the band a bit of a break), yet not go insane into the experimentation and the Big Band stuff (which I never particularly liked).

Of course, being a purist of sorts, I'd love to see him replicated the solo from Exit Stage Left, just to blow the minds of the fans, but I'm not sure Neil could even do that solo anymore since his drumming style has changed so much since the early 80's.

BTW, I've never been a big fan of the CP solo for a several reasons. First, it is lead into by Leave that Thing Alone, which I consider to be the weakest of the 90's instrumentals. Second, the solo seemed a bit too much like what Neil had done in previous tours, just rearranged. And finally, it closed with a pyro blast, which seems a bit too cliched for a band that usually avoids cliches.

Edited by CrimsonE