Box set?

Jaminbenb

Back when box sets started coming out a few years back, one of the boys made a comment that they wouldn't be releasing one since they felt it was a "swan song" sort of thing, and questioned why a currently playing and recording band would release such a retrospective thing, when they could very well do that once they decided to call it a day.

Now we know that they've almost all gone on record saying that they DON'T have any tunes that are left over (with the onus of "if it wasn't good enough for an album then, why would it be good NOW? and "we use everything")

My guess is that if/when they DO decide to call it, and then decide a few years later to put SOMETHING out (after the last live album) what "gems" do you think would be on it? Do you think there are any old live shows sitting in the vault? We've seen a few live things with Rutsey, but do you think that there may be a Caress of Steel show sitting around? Or something from the Permanent Waves tour, when they were originally going to release a live album?

Just curious what anyone may be thinking....

True...maybe some "one off" mixes for when they were letting the band see what they did in the studio that day... I know from experience that most engineers keep a tape running during sessions in case something happens and no one remembers it, they can run it back and listen to "mistakes" as it were...

Look at all that stuff Floyd just released last year with the demo mixes, and outtakes.

But I'm thinking more live stuff than we can imagine would be sitting around.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 16 2012, 09:00 PM)
Live recordings of Rush don't do much for me, and I very rarely listen to any of them. Since they don't have unreleased tacks, a box set, unfortunately, probably won't hold any interest to me.

You got to admit, a Caress of Steel show in full quality would be pretty amazing 1022.gif

2.gif

From what I remember reading when the Sectors set came out, they didn't even have all the masters from their early releases, let alone outtakes, so I wouldn't hold my breath for anything from before 1980 except maybe remixes of the remixes. Sectors had a DVD with 5.1 Surround mix in each of the three boxes. I think that's about all we can hope for from the Mercury catalog. Maybe Atlantic did a better job of tending to their Rush archive, and we can get some Presto, Counterparts, etc stuff.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 16 2012, 08:00 PM)
Live recordings of Rush don't do much for me, and I very rarely listen to any of them. Since they don't have unreleased tacks, a box set, unfortunately, probably won't hold any interest to me.

Wow...never heard too many people that DIDN'T like live stuff? I mean, I GET that some people don't like "bootlegs" for whatever reason..but I've always thought that a band playing live was the epitome of it's existence.

Interesting....

QUOTE (HalfwayToGone @ Oct 17 2012, 06:34 AM)
From what I remember reading when the Sectors set came out, they didn't even have all the masters from their early releases, let alone outtakes, so I wouldn't hold my breath for anything from before 1980 except maybe remixes of the remixes. Sectors had a DVD with 5.1 Surround mix in each of the three boxes. I think that's about all we can hope for from the Mercury catalog. Maybe Atlantic did a better job of tending to their Rush archive, and we can get some Presto, Counterparts, etc stuff.

If a song wasn't good enough for Counterparts, imagine how bad it'd have to be.

And while the band has said they don't have a lot of the originals, they still managed to put out the vault edition of Working Man, which was awesome. There will be something to interest us hardcore fans.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 16 2012, 08:00 PM)
Live recordings of Rush don't do much for me, and I very rarely listen to any of them.  Since they don't have unreleased tacks, a box set, unfortunately, probably won't hold any interest to me.

Give 'Exit....Stage Left' another chance to make an impression.....

I do enjoy the studios versions better and have not really gotten into the bootlegs so much as well.....still, the live recordings are a very interesting change up to my normal studio rotation play.

All The World's A Stage (sound quality aside) has so much raw energy that even though I don't play it that much now, back then it was everything to me and I thought By-Tor was much better than the studio version.

I almost always shun the studio versions of The Trees, Xanadu and La Villa in favor of the ESL versions. But that's just me.

In this day and technological age, it would be cool if Rush did something like Phish does with an official website where you can download select live tracks or even entire shows. I realize no two Phish setlists are alike (making for a much much deeper selection and a better reason for such a site), but Rush could do a smaller scale version of this and include studio outtakes, etc. I'd pay a reasonable fee for quality "official" Rush boots.

And for cripes sake (here I go beating this drum again) is there any way we can get Rush studio tracks with the vocal track removed? I'd pay for these in a heartbeat! This would breath new life into almost every Rush studio track (especially the ones with unpopular lyrics). My kingdom for more Rush instrumentals!!!

QUOTE (Gnoom @ Oct 23 2012, 06:46 AM)
I almost always shun the studio versions of The Trees, Xanadu and La Villa in favor of the ESL versions.  But that's just me.

In this day and technological age, it would be cool if Rush did something like Phish does with an official website where you can download select live tracks or even entire shows.  I realize no two Phish setlists are alike (making for a much much deeper selection and a better reason for such a site), but Rush could do a smaller scale version of this and include studio outtakes, etc.  I'd pay a reasonable fee for quality "official" Rush boots.

And for cripes sake (here I go beating this drum again) is there any way we can get Rush studio tracks with the vocal track removed?  I'd pay for these in a heartbeat!  This would breath new life into almost every Rush studio track (especially the ones with unpopular lyrics).  My kingdom for more Rush instrumentals!!!

Wasn't there a bunch of tracks without lyrics on one of the videos?

You have to love bands that make individual concerts available for "official" download...Heck, you can walk out of an Allman Brothers concert WITH a copy of the show you just saw!

Bands like Gov't Mule have them available after the fact, as did Barenaked Ladies for a while. The Who had audio AND video of their shows available!

It's just a shame that they can have some guy mixing the board feed down, and putting them onto a site where you can download them easily.

Edited by Jaminbenb