DON'T vote Rush into the R&RHoF

liddybuck01

QUOTE (Prattster @ Oct 5 2012, 12:59 PM)
I actually agree with the sentiment of the OP.

When Rush was first eligible I would have argued with anyone that they deserved to be in.

Back after the first couple of years of them being "snubbed" and people taking real notice, I took my first real look at what the "Hall" actually was - who was in, who was not.

Since then the band themselves have came out and said (sometimes more politely than other times) that they just don't care.

I know it means a lot to a lot of fans, and I fully understand and respect that. However, when I look at the overall picture, it just means very little to me at all.

I'm much prouder of their OOC and recent Governor General's awards.

I won't be voting for them for the HoF. If they get in, great. If they don't, that's just fine too.

applaudit.gif goodpost.gif applaudit.gif

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 4 2012, 09:58 AM)
I've long suspected that a large majority of the people who don't want them in, or claim to not want them in, will in actuality be THRILLED when they finally do get in, whether they admit to it or not.

But, for all those who insist on being jaded and cynical to the bitter end, you by all means enjoy that. wink.gif

Well I have to disagree, although when you assume that anyone who does is "not admitting it" or just "jaded and cynical" that's not so easy, but I'll try anyway.

Here's the thing. If all these years Rush had not been included in a real Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, one that actually lived up to that name, and had now finally been nominated, it would be great and I'd be rooting for them to get in. But what many don't seem to realize is that this RRHOF is not credible as such. It is in name only. What it really seems to be is just some group of people that say "let's include any group we like into this club." Rock hardly has anything to do with it. So, when it's just some arbitrary group of people deciding if our favorite band is finally worthy of their little exclusive club, that has no other meaning to it, then it doesn't matter to me and I don't see why it should to anyone else.

QUOTE (Shreddy Lee @ Oct 5 2012, 12:50 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 4 2012, 09:58 AM)
I've long suspected that a large majority of the people who don't want them in, or claim to not want them in, will in actuality be THRILLED when they finally do get in, whether they admit to it or not.

But, for all those who insist on being jaded and cynical to the bitter end, you by all means enjoy that. wink.gif

Well I have to disagree, although when you assume that anyone who does is "not admitting it" or just "jaded and cynical" that's not so easy, but I'll try anyway.

Here's the thing. If all these years Rush had not been included in a real Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, one that actually lived up to that name, and had now finally been nominated, it would be great and I'd be rooting for them to get in. But what many don't seem to realize is that this RRHOF is not credible as such. It is in name only. What it really seems to be is just some group of people that say "let's include any group we like into this club." Rock hardly has anything to do with it. So, when it's just some arbitrary group of people deciding if our favorite band is finally worthy of their little exclusive club, that has no other meaning to it, then it doesn't matter to me and I don't see why it should to anyone else.

I did say "large majority of the people," not everyone. wink.gif

this isn't about us for once. This is about Rush and I think they are not obsessed with getting in but it is still an honor so we should vote in favor of them getting in and let them decide how they want to handle this.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Oct 5 2012, 06:17 PM)
this isn't about us for once.  This is about Rush and I think they are not obsessed with getting in but it is still an honor so we should vote in favor of them getting in and let them decide how they want to handle this.

I think Rush believes IT IS about us , and no there not obsessed with it but they Know WE are!!! wink.gif tongue.gif

Edited by softfilter

my 2 cents

1st penny: I have huge issues with the HOF's induction practices, but at this point we all agree they should have been in decades ago. I guess being that they were not only being criticized by fans(which they obviously cared nothing about) but major industry players and musicians have become very public and outspoken on their being snubbed. Which I think became not only indefensible, but embarrassing personally to them whenever the topic comes up.

2nd penny: We deserve the affirmation, which the band repeatedly says they feel bad for the fans they aren't in there. The Hall considers themselves representatives of our music scene, we all know we've been right about them all these years so its beyond time for them to accept it. Whether they like it or not.

So I'd honestly like to see them in at this point.

*to celebrate I have 2 new RUSHCASTS up

Old RUSH: MY Nomination RUSHCAST SHOW

New RUSH: Breakfast with Ged (about half hr in)*

user posted image