Thump-thump...is this mic on? Minneapolis? Anyone?

bigalfan

Testing ....one-two. Helloooo? Testing....one-two. Rush did have an actual concert in Minneapolis last night, right? Maybe it's tonight and I got the sched mixed up? Anyone? Bueller? huh.gif

Oh....they sure DID have a Show last night at the Target Center!! 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

The production of Clockwork Angels was the best thing I have EVER seen from the band. EVER. Moving Pictures in its entirety was Great, but this was GREAT. The light kit was spellbinding. The String Ensemble was wonderful. Every song was a freekin' JAM. The pyro was over the top, and I loved every bit of it.....

The first set had me dazed. They played stuff I never thought I would see live. I literally stood there, thinking, "They're actually playing ______ ??!!" laugh.gif laugh.gif

There were very few issues, IMO. A missed guitar note here, a drum beat off there, but I'd say they were 99% tight and focused. I thought Geddy's bass could have been turned down for one or two songs, but it wasn't a big deal. Geddy's voice is just as powerful as ever. He got huge ovations during Headlong Flight. He belted it out with STRENGTH....

I'm hoping and praying that they come back for an extra tour leg. I WILL see them again.... 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

SPOILER ALERT!! ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

OK, here is the setlist for the Minneapolis show:

Subdivisions

The Big Money

Force Ten

Grand Designs

The Body Electric

Territories

The Analog Kid

Bravado

Where's My Thing? (With drum solo)

Far Cry

Caravan

Clockwork Angels

The Anarchist

Carnies

The Wreckers

Headlong Flight (with Drum Solo 2)

Halo Effect (with guitar solo intro)

Seven Cities Of Gold

The Garden

Manhattan Project

Drum Solo 3 - Red Sector A

YYZ

The Spirit Of Radio

Tom Sawyer

2112 Overture - Temples of Syrinx - Grand Finale

Thoughts:

I was really glad that they didn't play Wish Them Well. It's the only song on Clockwork Angels that I don't like. They skipped Working Man, which was OK. They've played it too much, IMO. Not hearing classics like Freewill and Limelight was no big deal. I know that they get tired of playing them, and it's great to see them dig out stuff from their Collection. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Force Ten - I usually don't like it, as the instrumental bridge is too "weird", but Alex put a really good solo into it..... 1022.gif

Body Electric - The one song where I think Alex missed a bit. I thought the solo was a little rough.

The Analog Kid - I was satisfied right there. I thought I would never see it live. It made my night!! trink38.gif

Where's My Thing? - They changed the intro so much that I literally didn't recognize it.....it took me a few seconds laugh.gif laugh.gif GREAT drum solo!

The Wreckers - AWESOME solo by Alex during the coda...... 1022.gif 1022.gif

Headlong Flight - Geddy got perhaps the loudest ovations of the night. His vocals were inspiring.... yes.gif yes.gif

YYZ - The string ensemble really complimented the song. More so than in any other song, IMO. 1022.gif

Alex laid into a blistering solo during the Grand Finale. A great change, as he normally just pounds out the power chords. 1022.gif

The video sequences before the Show, at intermission, and after the Show are proof that the Boys (and their collaborators) can and will come up with ANYTHING. Their sense of humor and creativity are all-world.... And Neil shooting t-shirts deep into the crowd was a HOOT!!!

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Sep 25 2012, 12:56 PM)
And Neil shooting t-shirts deep into the crowd was a HOOT!!!

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

In all your years have you seen him have a good time like this? So awesome, and good for him coming out of his shell new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I was at the show last night, and loved it.

I actually thought the Clockwork set was way better than the first set. Not just because of the classics at the end of it.

The musicianship is so strong on those songs it just was a sharp contrast to alot of the earlier stuff they played.

Overall this is been my 14 rush concert, and i love them all each has its own charm, and this one stood up to all of them.

Again can't wait to see them in the future.

I guess I forgot to say. I absolutely loved Alex's guitar playing last night, a few minor misses but overall he was highlighted more than alot of shows i have seen them.

And lastly it was so cool to see dads bringing their kids to this show, i had a guy and his kid right behind me. awesome.

Great show.

The Body Electric is my least-favorite Rush song, Where's My Thing? is my least-favorite Rush instrumental, and Power Windows is my least-favorite Rush album, so you can imagine how I felt about the song selection for the first set. It was neat that they changed up WMT?, making it heavier and throwing in a good drum solo, but it still didn't do all that much for me. Territories, which I'm not a big fan of, actually came off pretty well. Grand Designs was a bit of a mess until the last "Oh-oh"-filled minute, which was great--but that's how I feel about the song in general. While I would've preferred The Pass, Bravado was nice and I don't lament its inclusion. The Big Money and Far Cry were fine. Subdivisions, Force Ten, and The Analog Kid were very strong. The crowd was into TAK, and not just for Alex's (absolutely amazing) solo.

The show following the intermission was just phenomenal. I knew Headlong Flight would rock live for its instrumental aspects, but Geddy's vocals were mind blowing. He was also spot-on with Carnies. Caravan sounded fantastic with the strings (contrary to reports I'd heard). The Anarchist rocked--especially brilliant was the strings-aided transition into the second chorus. Clockwork Angels (the tune) was an enjoyable crowd pleaser (loved the lights). I dug the video they concocted for Seven Cities of Gold (and the performance of the song itself, of course), as well as Alex's lead-in to Halo Effect. The only Clockwork tune I wasn't thrilled with was The Wreckers; the others were either really rockin' or really beautiful, while Wreckers just sort of moved along in its semi-catchy "glory," but it was okay. I would've preferred Wish Them Well, myself.

I don't care much for Manhattan Project, but it came off better live. I've always preferred the recorded-live renditions of Red Sector A to the album version, and the band's performance of it last night didn't disappoint. I'm glad we got The Spirit of Radio, not just because I like it better than Working Man overall, but because it was fun having the whole crowd so into it. 2112 capped everything off in excellent, exciting fashion. Come back soon, guys!

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Sep 25 2012, 06:59 PM)

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

In all your years have you seen him have a good time like this? So awesome, and good for him coming out of his shell new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

NeilFinal.gif biggrin.gif Go Neil! biggrin.gif NeilFinal.gif

QUOTE (Jag2112 @ Sep 25 2012, 03:58 PM)
Did anyone happen to snap off some pics from the MN show?

Ooooo........you struck a nerve.... fists crying.gif laugh.gif

I could have bought a point-n-shoot, but spending an extra $200.00+ just to take a few pictures....with the risk of having it confiscated......I just couldn't do it. confused13.gif

It turned out that the security was almost non-existant at the Target Center. I could have taken a plethora of great pix and vids. My crappy iPhone 3GS was worthless...... new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

I'll just have to wait for the Blu-ray to come out..... b_sigh.gif

I took a few:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d153/avplanners/IMG_2233.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d153/avplanners/IMG_2232.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d153/avplanners/IMG_2217-1.jpg

and a video of the Garden:

QUOTE (hermy @ Sep 25 2012, 04:59 PM)
I took a few:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d153/avplanners/IMG_2233.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d153/avplanners/IMG_2232.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d153/avplanners/IMG_2217-1.jpg

and a video of the Garden:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdzOFHDqwgg

The exact angle I had in St. Louis. Wild! Nice pics!!

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Sep 25 2012, 12:59 PM)

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

This is the best I've ever see Neil. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif This is why I try to see them at the beginning of the tour.....

I remember the Snakes & Arrows tour, in St. Paul.....it was the last show in the U.S.. They were tired.....I don't think Neil even cracked a smile. Alex was so pooped he would lay his head on Geddy's shoulder while they were playing..... laugh.gif

What a great great great show!

While I'm not a big fan of the studio versions of some of the songs in Set 1, they sounded awesome live.

Still, nothing could have prepared me for how f***ing great the second set was. I'm not shocked by how great these songs sounded live, but it exceeded all expectations. These guys are pushing 60 and the musicianship on those songs was incredible.

But the best part was taking my 16 year old to the show to see them for the first time. He's been a fan for about half a year now, but after tonight he's a fan for life. He was beaming the whole time and he said on the way home that he couldn't actually believe what he'd seen. He also said he didn't care if he had to drive to Chicago to see the next tour...he'd be there. I'm a little surprised we're not on our way to Winnipeg!

And considering that they played my favorite 2 minutes of their catalog to close the show...the Grand Finale to 2112....just wow!

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Sep 25 2012, 07:53 PM)

While I'm not a big fan of the studio versions of some of the songs in Set 1, they sounded awesome live.

Still, nothing could have prepared me for how f***ing great the second set was. I'm not shocked by how great these songs sounded live, but it exceeded all expectations. These guys are pushing 60 and the musicianship on those songs was incredible.

But the best part was taking my 16 year old to the show to see them for the first time. He's been a fan for about half a year now, but after tonight he's a fan for life. He was beaming the whole time and he said on the way home that he couldn't actually believe what he'd seen. He also said he didn't care if he had to drive to Chicago to see the next tour...he'd be there. I'm a little surprised we're not on our way to Winnipeg!

And considering that they played my favorite 2 minutes of their catalog to close the show...the Grand Finale to 2112....just wow!

Where were your seats? I should have contacted you and set up a meeting before the show.

I was in section 104, row 7 - right off the floor, directly facing the stage. Seeing everyone's hands clapping on the floor in front of me during The Spirit of Radio was almost a religious experience.... laugh.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Sep 25 2012, 07:28 PM)
QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Sep 25 2012, 07:53 PM)

Still, nothing could have prepared me for how f***ing great the second set was.    I'm not shocked by how great these songs sounded live, but it exceeded all expectations.    These guys are pushing 60 and the musicianship on those songs was incredible.

But the best part was taking my 16 year old to the show to see them for the first time.    He's been a fan for about half a year now, but after tonight he's a fan for life.    He was beaming the whole time and he said on the way home that he couldn't actually believe what he'd seen.    He also said he didn't care if he had to drive to Chicago to see the next tour...he'd be there.  I'm a little surprised we're not on our way to Winnipeg!

Where were your seats? I should have contacted you and set up a meeting before the show.

I was in section 104, row 7 - right off the floor, directly facing the stage. Seeing everyone's hands clapping on the floor in front of me during The Spirit of Radio was almost a religious experience.... laugh.gif laugh.gif

That would have been fun. I stayed away from this subforum (didn't want to see any spoilers), but I missed out on all the meetups by doing so.

Maybe next time.

I was in section 106 row U. A long way from the stage but it didn't matter.