Recording Snafu????

CE24

I have the song 'Distant Early Warning' on several cds. The original, and on various 'Best Of' type CDs. At the beginning of the cut, on all of them, there is some serious crackling and hissing going on. Kind of like a radio station that isn't quite tuned in. Anyone else notice this? Has there been an explanation?

QUOTE (CE24 @ Sep 23 2012, 09:00 AM)
I have the song 'Distant Early Warning' on several cds. The original, and on various 'Best Of' type CDs. At the beginning of the cut, on all of them, there is some serious crackling and hissing going on. Kind of like a radio station that isn't quite tuned in. Anyone else notice this? Has there been an explanation?

Unfortunately, it's supposed to be that way. I guess it was supposed to be a cool audio effect to enhance the meaning of the song, but it turned out kind of lame.

I noticed this during my very first listen way back in 1984.

What'ya gonna do?

Hah. I noticed it the day it came out, and actually returned TWO LPs before I realized that it was recorded that way. Good times... biggrin.gif

QUOTE (kevind2112 @ Sep 23 2012, 06:55 PM)
Hah. I noticed it the day it came out, and actually returned TWO LPs before I realized that it was recorded that way. Good times... biggrin.gif

yeah i returned my copy too, agreed pretty lame effect doesnt work at all really, must have been an epidemic of people returning this album because of it

QUOTE (substancewithoutstyle @ Sep 24 2012, 07:03 AM)
I once read that the crackling noises at the beginning of DEW were intended to simulate the sound of a Geiger counter.

That's what I read too.