classical

R.G

QUOTE (Alsgalpal @ Jun 20 2005, 11:39 AM)
Wow, I never realised that there were classical music fans here...  Just never thought about it really.  I love classical, and piano music.  I am just not good with names.  I know what songs I like...  When I hear them.  I like the songs that sound moody, and change keys...  Does that help?

For my two cents worth, I don't think you can get much moodier sounding than Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, which I really like.

I think my favorite piece has always been Beethoven's 9th symphony, second and fourth movements. Especially the end of the fourth movement, when it ends with the choir singing in German, "Joy, the wondrous spark!" and the orchestra finishes with such a powerful melody. It moves me to tears every time.

I really like classical, however I don't know a lot about it. I do enjoy listening when its on though. I have always wanted to venture more into it.

My acquaintance with classical music began one winter when I was still addicted to The Weather Channel. Whenever they'd do "The Local Forecast" Vivaldi's "Winter" from The Four Seasons played by Gil Shaham would accompany the report. I was instantly converted. I went out to Coconut's and bought Shaham's CD, and ever since I've preferred his rendition of Four Seasons over any other I've come across.

Then when I went to college I started to be exposed to many varieties of music I hadn't before appreciated, and I found classical music was a very popular study aid. Vivaldi's Four Seasons has since remained my favorite piece of classical music, but I enjoy Smetana, all the big names like Bach, Beethoven, and Chopin, and nothing beats sitting in an actual symphonic performance or an opera.

Religious music probably deserves a category all its own, even though there's considerable overlap. But I love Hildegard and that genre also.

its nice to see so many people with an interest here, and such a wide range of taste. the four seasons i find to be really amazing as well, "winter" is just incredible. i am going to a couple of piano recitals in the coming weeks, something to look forward to smile.gif

VIRGIL THOMSON - Film scores,THE RIVER, THE PLOW THAT BROKE THE PLAINS.

I am not sure who did the score for the Black Stallion, but the music, and the beautiful story combined would always make me cry, even as a little girl. Funny how music can move you to tears sometimes, or make you feel totally amped up!

I am not sure who did the score for the Black Stallion, but the music, and the beautiful story combined would always make me cry, even as a little girl. Funny how music can move you to tears sometimes, or make you feel totally amped up!

and that's why we love music cool.gif

The cello is an amazing instrument. I have to be in the right mood to really appreciate its feeling and depth, but I'm in just such a mood this evening.

Some notable cello masters:

Gabriel Faure, especially "Elegie, Op. 24" and "Sicilienne"

Yo-Yo Ma

Rachmaninoff

Shostakovich

I'm not a huge listener of Clasical music but I did study a little clasical guitar over the years and the challenge really helped my guitar playing a lot. There's nothing that impresses me more than someone who can play clasical guitar nice and clean. If anyone who plays guitar ever gets in a rut and seems it's getting stale playing the same ol rock music then learning a couple clasical tunes can really open up some doors for you. That goes for any other style than you normally play, tryin new avenues when you feel you are in a rut can really make a huge difference in your playing.

However, sometimes I can really relax by putting on some clasical music for a change of pace. smile.gif

Archived