Country Music

rushgoober

QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Jun 22 2005, 04:47 PM)
QUOTE (D-13 @ Jun 19 2005, 05:12 PM)
We need Lakesidemaiden's opinion on this....

apparently my opinion is necessary wink.gif I try to make time when I am needed biggrin.gif

Country Music, my dear, misguided, goober, is NOT something to be punished by...Country Music is about life, and honestly, if you cannot see the wisdom behind the words, and only see the stereotypical views of Country Music, and not the talent of the musicians who perform it....then, are you truly a music fan? For if we can't appreciate all forms of music (*and I use the term Music as people actually playing musical instruments, and writing lyrics that inspire and heal the masses....) then we need to take a closer look at ourselves and reevaluate what WE consider music to be, and open our minds and hearts to the other forms of music out there, because there are a lot of talented musicians, singers and songwriters out there, in ALL genres of music and its not right to insult ANY type of music, regardless of how you may feel or how immaturely (or maturely you may put it). I've said my piece....sorry for the short visit folks....Love my job, but the hours royally suck...pulling roughly 65-70 hours a week....

This is my hair, thank you and goodnight...

~*~ LakesideMaiden ~*~

wow....*inspired*

Couldn't of said it better myself! biggrin.gif goodpost.gif

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Old Country is much better than new. Willie Nelson (fellow Texan), Waylon and the boys, Johnny Cash, etc.

Why does EVERY single modern country singer look like a movie star?

Hey! Has anyone noticed that twotwo has been talking to himself in the chat room for hours on end. He might be slipping. Better get the men in the white coats.

There is some great country out there, and there is also some total shite as well.

Here in the Emerald Isle we have a wonderful hybrid called Country and Irish, which involves taking American Country, infusing it with sentimental twaddle and mawkish crap, surgically removing any life or passion from it and serving it up with an insipid backing track that lacks anything even vaguely resembling a soul.

It's got as much in common with Johnny Cash as Rush have with The Backstreet Boys.

I like the old country for the most part the stuff I heard growing up. My parents were big country music fans. Patsy Cline her music is wonderful and timeless,Ray Price,Johnny Cash,Jim Reeves,Hank Snow,HANK WILLIAMS the list can go on and on. The point being this was and still is good music there influence on modern music is still being told and heard today,and not only country but rock artist have told there appreciation of these country pioneers U2,WHITE STRIPES,R.E.M are a example. Now alot for what passes as country today I can hate because it's not real country. You know the term " CROSSOVER" Shinia Twain crap.( great to look at though! )And thats the problem with country today it's all glossy and made up for mass appeal. It's like there embarrass of the roots. Such a shame, there are a few who are not DWIGHT YOAKAM and THE DIXIE CHICKS are keepers of the flame both great! REAL COUNTRY DEALS WITH SINCERE EVERY DAY ISSUES THAT REAL PEOPLE CAN RELATE TO!!! YES I LIKE COUNTRY NOT ASHAMED TO SAY SO....

Country musics is awesome. I find I'm more lured by the newer country artists, so long as it doesn't sound too top 40ish. A few of these so called country artists are just making pop records with a slide guitar.

George Strait is my favorite - I can listen to him for hours. Trisha Yearwood is amazing. Toby Keith ROCKS. And the entire CD When The Sun Goes Down from Kenny Chesney is just about the greatest thing there is!!!

OH - and my wedding song is a counry tune from an awesome band called Restless Heart. The song is called I'll Still Be Loving You. It's a great song.

Another band I like that is influenced by country and "walks the line" between country and rock? hard to pigeon hole them to a musical style. COWBOY JUNKIES-Love this band and Margo Timmins sparse vocals sends chills down down my spine . Subdued beauty and texture to there songs.

QUOTE (D-13 @ Jun 19 2005, 05:12 PM) We need Lakesidemaiden's opinion on this.... 

apparently my opinion is necessary - I try to make time when I am needed 
Country Music, my dear, misguided, goober, is NOT something to be punished by...Country Music is about life, and honestly, if you cannot see the wisdom behind the words, and only see the stereotypical views of Country Music, and not the talent of the musicians who perform it....then, are you truly a music fan?  For if we can't appreciate all forms of music (*and I use the term Music as people actually playing musical instruments, and writing lyrics that inspire and heal the masses....) then we need to take a closer look at ourselves and reevaluate what WE consider music to be, and open our minds and hearts to the other forms of music out there, because there are a lot of talented musicians, singers and songwriters out there, in ALL genres of music and its not right to insult ANY type of music, regardless of how you may feel or how immaturely (or maturely you may put it). I've said my piece....sorry for the short visit folks....Love my job, but the hours royally suck...pulling roughly 65-70 hours a week....

This is my hair, thank you and goodnight...

~*~ LakesideMaiden ~*~

I completely respect that you love country music and that it does it for you, even if I can't personally fathom why, but then again, there are a whole lot of things in this world that I can't fathom why people enjoy, but that's just fine. If you heard a lot of the music I listen to, you might think the same thing. Hell, my wife can't stand most of what I listen to! For me, music is about passion. I passionately love, I passionately hate, and I'm passionately ambivalent. I'm not saying that country musicians and lyricists and singers aren't talented, but it doesn't mean that I personally want to be subected to it. Obviously millions of pepole love it or it wouldn't be so popular, and I would be the last one to try to take away from someone what personally moves them and they love as long as it's hurting no one. I'm just stating perhaps my way too loud opinion on what I think of it, and erroneously assuming like I often do that what makes sense to me makes sense to everyone.

i don't know if i would say that is't not right to inslut any type of music - i mean, hey, that's one of my hobbies! people insult the kind of music i like all the time and that's fine, and i challenge any long term rush fan to say they have never heard anyone insult rush. when people insult my music, i just turn my head, feel sorry for them about what they're missing and go one loving and enjoying it. meanwhile, they turn their heads, feel sorry for me, etc. as long as we can live and let live - my apologies if you or anyone was genuinely offended. I'm incredibly opinionated about music - just ask my wife - she'll tell you! It doesn't mean I expect anyone to agree with me though as people usually don't. Your idea of hell might be loud blasting rap music (not like I would enjoy that myself). For me, it's country...

peace,

goober

Save A Horse (Ride A Cowboy)

Artist:Big & Rich

Well, I walk into the room

Passing out hundred dollar bills

And it kills and it thrills like the horns on my Silverado grill

And I buy the bar a double round of crown

And everybody's getting down

An' this town ain't never gonna be the same.

Cause I saddle up my horse

and I ride into the city

I make a lot of noise

Cause the girls

They are so pretty

Riding up and down Broadway

on my old stud Leroy

And the girls say

Save a horse, ride a cowboy.

Everybody says

Save a horse, Ride a cowboy

Well I don't give a dang about nothing

I'm singing and Bling- Blanging

While the girls are drinking

Long necks down!

And I wouldn't trade ol' Leroy

or my Chevrolet for your Escalade

Or your freak parade

I'm the only John Wayne left in this town

And I saddle up my horse

and I ride into the city

I make a lot of noise

Cause the girls

They are so pretty

on my old stud Leroy

And the girls say

Everybody says

I'm a thourough-bred

that's what she said

in the back of my truck bed

As I was gettin' buzzed on suds

Out on some back country road.

We where flying high

Fine as wine, having ourselves a big and rich time

And I was going, just about as far as she'd let me go.

But her evaluation

of my cowboy reputation

Had me begging for salvation

all night long

So I took her out giggin frogs

Introduced her to my old bird dog

And sang her every Willie Nelson song I could think of

And we made love

And I saddled up my horse

and I ride into the city

I make a lot of noise

Cause the girls

They are so pretty

on my old stud Leroy

And the girls say

Everybody says

What? What?

Save A Horse Ride A Cowboy

Everybody says

Save a Horse Ride a cowboy

QUOTE (D-13 @ Jun 29 2005, 10:41 AM)
Save A Horse (Ride A Cowboy)
Artist:Big & Rich

Well, I walk into the room
Passing out hundred dollar bills
And it kills and it thrills like the horns on my Silverado grill
And I buy the bar a double round of crown
And everybody's getting down
An' this town ain't never gonna be the same.

Cause I saddle up my horse
and I ride into the city
I make a lot of noise
Cause the girls
They are so pretty
on my old stud Leroy
And the girls say
Everybody says

Well I don't give a dang about nothing
I'm singing and Bling- Blanging
While the girls are drinking
Long necks down!
And I wouldn't trade ol' Leroy
or my Chevrolet for your Escalade
Or your freak parade
I'm the only John Wayne left in this town

And I saddle up my horse
and I ride into the city
I make a lot of noise
Cause the girls
They are so pretty
on my old stud Leroy
And the girls say
Everybody says

I'm a thourough-bred
that's what she said
in the back of my truck bed
As I was gettin' buzzed on suds
Out on some back country road.
We where flying high
Fine as wine, having ourselves a big and rich time
And I was going, just about as far as she'd let me go.
But her evaluation
of my cowboy reputation
Had me begging for salvation
all night long
So I took her out giggin frogs
Introduced her to my old bird dog
And sang her every Willie Nelson song I could think of

And we made love
And I saddled up my horse
and I ride into the city
I make a lot of noise
Cause the girls
They are so pretty
on my old stud Leroy
And the girls say
Everybody says

What? What?
Save A Horse Ride A Cowboy
Everybody says
Save a Horse Ride a cowboy

a cool country tune cool.gif cool10.gif

QUOTE (Rivendell @ Jun 29 2005, 04:37 PM)
What I find hilarious about this thread is that Rushgoober like The Grateful Dead.

to me the grateful dead are country-influenced, but not pure country - i can handle country-influenced: grateful dead, crosby stills nash and young, some lynyrd skynrd, some allman brothers, hell, i even dig bluegrass from time to time, it's just the contemporary country music that gets played today that i can't handle...

Country Songs i have on the WMP

Steve Earle - Guitar Town

Dwight Youkam - Suspicious Minds

If Neil Young is Country

Only Love Can Break your Heart

Heart of Gold

QUOTE (Raider917 @ Jun 29 2005, 05:13 PM)
Country Songs i have on the WMP

Steve Earle - Guitar Town
Dwight Youkam - Suspicious Minds

If Neil Young is Country

Only Love Can Break your Heart
Heart of Gold

ugh...dude....sorry Neil Young is SO not country....the others, yeah they can stay wink.gif cool.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 29 2005, 04:45 PM)
QUOTE (Rivendell @ Jun 29 2005, 04:37 PM)
What I find hilarious about this thread is that Rushgoober like The Grateful Dead.

to me the grateful dead are country-influenced, but not pure country - i can handle country-influenced: grateful dead, crosby stills nash and young, some lynyrd skynrd, some allman brothers, hell, i even dig bluegrass from time to time, it's just the contemporary country music that gets played today that i can't handle...

okay...now that you've clarified that goober, i can forgive your opinions. I thoroughly despise artists like shania twain who have ruined country music now. I love bluegrass. I love Patsy Cline. I love 80's country. I love Restless Heart. I just cant stand the unemotional, synthesized, mass produced, overly pathetic excuses for what they call country music now adays. Give me some George Strait....talent, real lyrics. Thats what I'm talkin 'bout. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v407/lakesidemaiden/Misc/48.gif

Ug... no.gif

One would think that with my being a native Texan I would have at least a slight toleration for the stuff. But, it's the exact opposite. And, yes... I HAVE given it a chance, for the most part against my will. It plays everyfrikin'where here. There are some very talented musicians in the genre. But, it just is not my bag. In all fairness, I do appreciate some of Willie Nelson's and Johnny Cash's music. But, that's about it.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jan 16 2011, 05:24 PM)
Ug... no.gif

One would think that with my being a native Texan I would have at least a slight toleration for the stuff. But, it's the exact opposite. And, yes... I HAVE given it a chance, for the most part against my will. It plays everyfrikin'where here. There are some very talented musicians in the genre. But, it just is not my bag. In all fairness, I do appreciate some of Willie Nelson's and Johnny Cash's music. But, that's about it.

I have a soft spot for it...especially Townes Van Zandt, EmmyLou, Hank Williams....the more tragic, melodramatic side of it.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jan 16 2011, 11:29 AM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Jan 16 2011, 05:24 PM)
Ug...  no.gif

I have a soft spot for it...especially Townes Van Zandt, EmmyLou, Hank Williams....the more tragic, melodramatic side of it.

Hank Williams I could probably listen to. What I don't like is when friends try to "convert" me. They can be really obnoxious about it, trying shove it down my throat, which has probably added to my adversion. I mean, I don't sneak Opeth CDs into their car stereos in the same way I turned on mine once only to have Garth Brooks warbling at me. wacko.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Jan 16 2011, 10:33 AM)
I cannot stand the so called country music of today. 062802puke_prv.gif But I love the older stuff. Real country music!! 653.gif biggrin.gif

the older stuff - Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, etc. is different. i'm not saying i love that stuff, as i don't, but if someone put it on i could tolerate it and even occasionally enjoy it. the last country song i recall actively enjoying is that charlie daniels song from the 70's - the devil went down to georgia. the only time i've ever heard a country song i could tolerate in the last 25+ years is when it's crossover country with enough rock in that my upchuck reflex isn't activated. otherwise, sorry, but it just turns my stomach something painful...