Don't take this tour for granted SPOILERS

LeaveMyThingAlone

As I read through the usual complaints about the setlist, what's wrong with it, how Rush is so selfish, etc I can't help but think about how so many people take them for granted. That they're always going to be there, that there will be an R40 tour, a next album, etc

Rush has picked a setlist that first and foremost is easy on Geddy's voice. The Spirit of Radio is a song he has struggled with of late and it looks like has now been permanently dropped. That blows my mind. My guess is after the 1st night his voice didn't recover so well so they made that change, trying to find the right setlist for the vocals. This is very telling. Rush has always been a band that will not hang around if they can't continue to play up to their own standards. I can't help but think that that day is coming very soon. Geddy has even spoken about his recent struggles in interviews of late. As successful as the Time Machine tour was, he very clearly struggled with vocals. Hence, we have this setlist. When the day comes when he can't sing the SOR, I gotta think that gives the guys pause.

I'm just saying that I wouldn't be surprised if this is Rush's last tour. They want to go out on top and Clockwork Angels is an incredible achievement. The signs are there for Rush to call it a day. How will Geddy be singing in 3 years? Think about it. He's not going to be able to belt out Freewill, Spirit, 2112, etc and they won't tour if he's just barely getting by. Not their style

Appreciate that you have another tour and that these guys are still doing top notch 3 hour shows. It just won't last much longer. It can't

Edited by LeaveMyThingAlone

Sure it can if he avoids those 70's songs that everybody is bitching they left out. He sounds better right now than he has in AGES. Just do what they are doing now. A couple 70's songs and that's it. The 80's were just as good or better than the 70's anyway. I would rather have Rush continue touring than Geddy blowing his voice out to please a few Rush purists.

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Sep 12 2012, 09:24 PM)
As I read through the usual complaints about the setlist, what's wrong with it, how Rush is so selfish, etc I can't help but think about how so many people take them for granted. That they're always going to be there, that there will be an R40 tour, a next album, etc

Rush has picked a setlist that first and foremost is easy on Geddy's voice. The Spirit of Radio is a song he has struggled with of late and it looks like has now been permanently dropped. That blows my mind. My guess is after the 1st night his voice didn't recover so well so they made that change, trying to find the right setlist for the vocals. This is very telling. Rush has always been a band that will not hang around if they can't continue to play up to their own standards. I can't help but think that that day is coming very soon. Geddy has even spoken about his recent struggles in interviews of late. As successful as the Time Machine tour was, he very clearly struggled with vocals. Hence, we have this setlist. When the day comes when he can't sing the SOR, I gotta think that gives the guys pause.

I'm just saying that I wouldn't be surprised if this is Rush's last tour. They want to go out on top and Clockwork Angels is an incredible achievement. The signs are there for Rush to call it a day. How will Geddy be singing in 3 years? Think about it. He's not going to be able to belt out Freewill, Spirit, 2112, etc and they won't tour if he's just barely getting by. Not their style

Appreciate that you have another tour and that these guys are still doing top notch 3 hour shows. It just won't last much longer. It can't

goodpost.gif

All I can say is thanks God For Clockwork Angels. This album is as good as nay of the ones from the early 80's. They would not have a problem creating a setlist around these masterful songs. An all Instrumental plus setlist is also a great way to preserve Geddy's voice in future tours.

Don't count them out yet!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Sep 12 2012, 09:24 PM)

Very good points. They naturally want to be able to deliver shows that are at least up to a minimum level of what their standards are.

To add to your assessment, even Neil Peart recently stated in an interview that he doesn't know if he'll physically be able to do this in another 10 years (the assumed implication being that if he can't deliver, he doesn't want to do it). So the clock is definitely ticking for our boys.

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Sep 12 2012, 08:44 PM)
An all Instrumental plus setlist is also a great way to preserve Geddy's voice in future tours.

Don't count them out yet!

2.gif  1022.gif  2.gif

I'd love to see something like the R30 Overture become a fixture, perhaps as either an opener or an encore.

I think it's a great way to keep those old songs alive..... when I listen to that, I get goosebumps, full stop. The lack of vocals doesn't lessen the impact one bit.

You can play a good chunk of Hemispheres Prelude before you get to the vocals, for example. There's plenty of these. Xanadu. Cygnus. Middle section of By-Tor.

These guys have written some of the best instrumentals of all time, and have some of the best instrumental interludes of all time within many of the songs that do have words.

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Sep 12 2012, 09:44 PM)
My point is I don't think Rush wants to continue that way...having to play 80's songs and soft stuff because it's easier. Maybe I'm wrong...you just never know. I want to soak up every second of the concert because I definitely feel like we won't get much more of this

80's songs and soft stuff? Come on. Now that we have Clockwork Angels, you can create a great setlist on their post Roll the Bones stuff alone .

Set 1:

Far Cry

Caravan

BU2B

Cut to the Chase

Working Them Angels

Vapor Trails

Way the Wind Blows

Where's My Thing?

Test For Echo

Stick it Out

Driven (With Bass Solo)

Clockwork Angels

Set 2:

Animate

Cold Fire

Spindrift

The Anarchist

Carnies

Main Monkey Business

Seven Cities of Gold

Secret Touch

Mal-Nar/ Drum Solo

Alex's Solo/ Halo Effect

The Wreckers

Double Agent

Headlong Flight

Encore:

One Little Victory

EarthShine

The Garden

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Sep 12 2012, 10:16 PM)
My point is I don't think Rush wants to continue that way...having to play 80's songs and soft stuff because it's easier. Maybe I'm wrong...you just never know. I want to soak up every second of the concert because I definitely feel like we won't get much more of this

80's songs and soft stuff? Come on. Now that we have Clockwork Angels, you can create a great setlist on their post Roll the Bones stuff alone .

Set 1:

Far Cry

Caravan

BU2B

Cut to the Chase

Working Them Angels

Vapor Trails

Way the Wind Blows

Where's My Thing?

Test For Echo

Stick it Out

Driven (With Bass Solo)

Clockwork Angels

Set 2:

Animate

Cold Fire

Spindrift

The Anarchist

Carnies

Main Monkey Business

Seven Cities of Gold

Secret Touch

Mal-Nar/ Drum Solo

Alex's Solo/ Halo Effect

The Wreckers

Double Agent

Headlong Flight

Encore:

One Little Victory

EarthShine

The Garden

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

How many fantasy setlists have you drafted in the past year? tongue.gif

QUOTE (Alchemical @ Sep 12 2012, 10:18 PM)

Set 1:

Far Cry

Caravan

BU2B

Cut to the Chase

Working Them Angels

Vapor Trails

Way the Wind Blows

Where's My Thing?

Test For Echo

Stick it Out

Driven (With Bass Solo)

Clockwork Angels

Set 2:

Animate

Cold Fire

Spindrift

The Anarchist

Carnies

Main Monkey Business

Seven Cities of Gold

Secret Touch

Mal-Nar/ Drum Solo

Alex's Solo/ Halo Effect

The Wreckers

Double Agent

Headlong Flight

Encore:

One Little Victory

EarthShine

The Garden

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

I don't know? confused13.gif They don't call me the Setlist Swami for nothing.

laugh.gif

as someone who plays both Guitar and Bass I find it funny you think the 80's stuff is easier, it's much harder than most things put out in the 70's I'm guessing the guys from Rush are just playing it this tour because it's really related to the meanings of Clockwork Angels and the 80's are a great balance to the kick ass second set. 80's Rush is best Rush..

QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Sep 12 2012, 10:32 PM)
Fair enough. But I'm not convinced TSoR is more difficult to sing than 2112. I think there's more to the setlist than just concerns about Geddy's voice alone, although I do suspect that plays a significant role.

I truly feel the decision for the current setlist is to change the songs being played. Plain and Simple. The last 3 DVD/ CD that have been recorded of live shows are all basically the same with a few minor changes. Now we actually have a setlist that I can't wait to go out and buy the DVD/CD for.

Grand Design....................Never Recorded Live

Body Electric ....................Never recorded Live

Middletown Dreams...........Never Recorded Live

Territories..........................Never Recorded Live on CD

Where's my Thing?............ Never recorded Live

Clockwork Angels Songs.....Never Recorded Live

Manahattan Project.............Never Recorded Live with Strings

Red Sector A........................Never Recorded Live with Strings

Dreamline............................Never recorded Live with Strings

YYZ.......................................Never recorded Live with Strings

So there you have (19) songs never recorded live in their present form.

yes.gif cool.gif yes.gif

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Sep 13 2012, 08:44 AM)
If they continue with setlists like this I don't care if never see them again! Its time for them to make fans the priority. Its NOT all about them. Its a two-way street- not one-way, where u plow down your dedicated fans.

So which member of the band do want a blow job from?

Great post & thread. Agree that 2112 has to at least rival TSOR in terms of vocal strain.

My view is that Rush has always given 100%, and as a fan I'm happy with any new experience I can get with this band. I loved the setlist in Pittsburgh, but I'd probably say that no matter what they played ....

I think this band has at least one more album in them. As for touring ... I think we're looking at a three to five year window max for it to happen. Perhaps one more tour, but with fewer dates (and more days off in-between, if they can swing it financially & logistically). If they do a second leg of this tour in North America in 2013 with a revamped setlist that favors more classics, that could be telling.

Let us consider ourselves lucky no matter what.

2.gif

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Sep 13 2012, 07:44 AM)
If they continue with setlists like this I don't care if never see them again! Its time for them to make fans the priority. Its NOT all about them. Its a two-way street- not one-way, where u plow down your dedicated fans.

No, you don't want them to make fans the priority, you want them to make YOU the priority. Just because they aren't doing what YOU want them to do, doesn't mean that they are sticking it to the fans.

You've hated everything Rush has done since 1985, right? Everything that they've done afterwards has been crap and you'd have to be a brainwashed fanboi to like it. Lets ignore the fact that many people were turned on to the band from this material and liked it before they ever heard the 70's stuff.

So what do you want them to do, play a bunch of 70's material? Well, Geddy can't sing that stuff very well anymore and if he tried to, you'd be the first to line up and make fun of his strained vocals. It's pointless. No matter what the band does, you won't be pleased with it, so why continue to waste your time?

Me personally, I've made my peace with the setlist. While I'd like to hear some more classics, I realize that they might not be able to do those songs justice anymore. I'd rather hear songs I like being performed really well, then hear songs I love in a sub-par fashion.

QUOTE (Nuts&Bolts @ Sep 12 2012, 11:32 PM)
Forgive me, Im an old fart, but I could watch Rush perform for three to four hours without a vocal part being sung!!! And I wouldn't care what era it was from.

Agreed, I could listen to an all instrumental tour plus and be happy with it. Specially now that you can incorporation Clockwork Angels into the mix.

Set 1:

R40 Instrumedley:

(Finding My Way, Working Man, Anthem, BY-Tor and the Snowdog, The Necromancer, Bastile Day, A Passage to Bangkok, Cygnus X-1, Hemispheres (Prelude), Freewill)

Limelight

The Analog Kid

Where's My Thing?

Leave That Thing Alone

Main Monkey Business

Limbo

Caravan

Driven (With Bass Solo)

Natural Science

Set 2:

The Camera Eye

The Anarchist

Carnies

New Instrumental (Farewell to Fans)

Broon's Bane/ The Trees

Didacts and Narpits

YYZ

Headlong Flight

MalNar/ Drum Solo

Hope/Xanadu

La Villa Strangiatto

2112 Overture/Temples/ Finale

Encore:

Spirit of Radio

Tom Sawyer

Closer to the Heart (Extended)

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Sep 12 2012, 10:22 PM)
QUOTE (Alchemical @ Sep 12 2012, 10:18 PM)

Set 1:

Far Cry

Caravan

BU2B

Cut to the Chase

Working Them Angels

Vapor Trails

Way the Wind Blows

Where's My Thing?

Test For Echo

Stick it Out

Driven (With Bass Solo)

Clockwork Angels

Set 2:

Animate

Cold Fire

Spindrift

The Anarchist

Carnies

Main Monkey Business

Seven Cities of Gold

Secret Touch

Mal-Nar/ Drum Solo

Alex's Solo/ Halo Effect

The Wreckers

Double Agent

Headlong Flight

Encore:

One Little Victory

EarthShine

The Garden

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

I don't know? confused13.gif They don't call me the Setlist Swami for nothing.

laugh.gif

Wait - you left out Losing It, losingit2k! Lol. JK.