Top Ten Prog Albums...

rushgoober

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Sep 11 2012, 06:00 AM)
I'm not really into Italian prog... so my list is short. laugh.gif

Anglagard - Hybris (Swedish)
Anglagard - Vilgans Oga (Swedish)
Bubu - Anabelas (This has some Spanish lyrics, right?)

Does that latest Anglagard album have any lyrics? I think it's instrumental.

Also, dude, you NEED to check out some of those Italian prog albums. They're as good as the best UK prog. yes.gif

For some reason I don't really listen to a lot of prog that's not sung in English. I'm not that familiar with Italian prog and most of the Scandinavian stuff I listen to is sung in English (with the exception of Anglagard's Hybris - one of my favorite albums ever). I do like what I've heard from Banco, Le Orme, Maxophone, and PFM though.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 11 2012, 10:06 AM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Sep 11 2012, 06:00 AM)
I'm not really into Italian prog... so my list is short. laugh.gif

Anglagard - Hybris (Swedish)
Anglagard - Vilgans Oga (Swedish)
Bubu - Anabelas (This has some Spanish lyrics, right?)

Does that latest Anglagard album have any lyrics? I think it's instrumental.

Also, dude, you NEED to check out some of those Italian prog albums. They're as good as the best UK prog. yes.gif

Oh that's true. laugh.gif

And I have heard (and liked) a Harmonium album. yes.gif (The one about the seasons)

I'm sure I'll check out Italian eventually, but right now I'm more into eclectic, Canterbury and symphonic. smile.gif

Some progressive rock made in Brasil :

O Terco:

Criaturas da Noite 1975

Casa Encantada 1976

Os Mutantes (Achieved some cult status in Europe) -Tudo Foi Feito Pelo Sol 1974

Som Imaginario - Matanca de Porco 1973

Milton Nascimento - Clube Da Esquina 1972

Milton's work and all the sound created in the state where he grew up (Minas Gerais) inspired some musicians around the world, Pat Metheny is an avid fan of Minas sound.

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Sep 11 2012, 01:35 PM)
Does Sigur Ros count as prog? If so they are about the only non-English music I listen to besides Dead Can Dance.

Oh, and how about The Cocteau Twins?

I thought about them, but first off, Elizabeth Fraser actually does usually sing in English, just often pronounced so uniquely as to render it virtually indecipherable.

Secondly, and most importantly... they ain't prog. no.gif

The Cocteau Twins are close to prog, but I agree they don't quite get there. I have heard Liz Fraiser say that she is singing oddly pronounced English and on the latter albums you can make out some words. I don't know if I would call it English.

Hey, Rushgoober, what do you call that music anyway? I love all those 1980s 4AD bands because they always seemed so close to the prog I was listening to in the 1970s.

Sorry to get off topic, that never happens. I'm so embarrassed to be the first one to do it. wink.gif

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Sep 12 2012, 08:33 PM)
The Cocteau Twins are close to prog, but I agree they don't quite get there. I have heard Liz Fraiser say that she is singing oddly pronounced English and on the latter albums you can make out some words. I don't know if I would call it English.

Hey, Rushgoober, what do you call that music anyway? I love all those 1980s 4AD bands because they always seemed so close to the prog I was listening to in the 1970s.

Sorry to get off topic, that never happens. I'm so embarrassed to be the first one to do it. wink.gif

Not all 4AD bands were the same genre. Cocteau Twins were shoegaze or ethereal, others were britpop, others were just rock I guess or other subgenres.

My fave 4AD bands were Cocteau Twins, Dead Can Dance, His Name Is Alive, Mojave 3 & Michael Brook.