What were/are your fave bands/artists?

rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 8 2012, 07:01 AM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Sep 5 2012, 07:26 PM)
Current top 5- Rush, King Crimson, Camel, Yes, Gong

wub.gif

Excellent taste, bro! trink39.gif

trink39.gif

Been on a HUGE Camel binge the last few days. biggrin.gif

From the earliest that I can remember liking rock music (1971 I guess) it was The Beatles.

In the mid to late 1970's (1976 - 78) I got to like Simon and Garfunkel. Don't recall exactly when. The title of "favorite band" would go back and forth between the 2 for some time. Air Supply, because of their "Lost in Love" album would be a very close contender. In fact the album was most likely more favorite album for some time. I kid you not. Its embarrassing to admit it, but its true.

In July of 1983 everything changed. That was when I first really listened to Def Leopard's Pyromania album and they became my "Favorite Band". Left the others in the dust.

They held the title for several years. Liked a lot of other groups (Ozzy, Dio, Quiet Riot, Rat, Twisted Sister, Dokkan & Triumph among) but none of them could knock off Def Leopard. "Pyromania" and "High n Dry" are just such good albums.

Dokkan, Twisted Sister and Triumph came the closest to taking the top spot away but:

(1) Triumph I just did not fully appreciate - yet. So they challenged but could not take the top spot.

(2) Twisted Sister had 2 good albums (Stay Hungry and Come Out and Play) that I liked a lot but did not match up with the 2 great DL albums. The other TS work I mostly did not (and still do not) care for all that much. As a result they challenged but could not claim the top spot. Over time they have fallen well away from being a "favorite band" - although I still do listen to their stuff and enjoy it.

(3) Dokkan had "Tooth and Nail" which matched either of the DL albums but the follow up albums, "Under Lock and Key" & "Back for the Attack", while both being very good just did not come up to the level set by "Pyromania", Thigh N Dry" and "Tooth and Nail". The initial albums by both groups basically cancelled each other out. Very close but DL held on to the top spot.

If they had not had all of the problems within the band who knows what would have happened. But those problems ruined them and over time they have slowly fallen off the pace.

In 1987 DL came out with Hysteria. If this had been of the same quality as the last 2 albums DL had released it would have solidified DL's hold on the top spot. Unfortunately it was not. This weakened DL''s hold on the top spot greatly. Around this time I also got into Iron Maiden and the title of "favorite band" started to go back and forth between DL, Maiden, Dokkan, Triumph and, after I saw Judas Priest in the summer of 1988, Priest. In the fall of 1987 I started to get into Rush but they were back of the main pack.

Also around 1988 Savatage released "Hall of the Mountain King", an album so good that it brought them into the lead pack all buy its self. The follow up album "Gutter Ballet" knocked them way back but then in 1991 they released "Streets" and that album that to this day is one of my favorites - perhaps my favorite non Rush album.

As a result, all through the 90's the title of "favorite band" swayed back and forth between (1) DL (2) Triumph (3) Maiden (4) Priest (5) Savatage. Rush was right on the heels of the others and slowly but steadily gaining ground. Although the title could switch hands on a day to day basis I would say that more often then not DL held it.

This all changed on an August night in 2002 when I saw Rush at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center on the VT tour. I had seen Rush on the Presto and Counterparts tours but this show - wow. Best show I have ever seen. By any group. Rush vaulted past the others and has never really looked back.

All of the other prior leaders (Triumph, DL, Maiden, Priest, Savatage (just for those 2 albums)) are bunched together well back of Rush. They have been joined by The Who and Tarja era Nightwish but they are all well back of Rush.

Forget about The Beatles and Simon & Garfunkel. They have been passed by so many groups its not funny (sorry Beatles fans - I don't diminish their greatness, I like them but their are a lot of groups I like more).

Its long winded but thats my answer to the questions Goober asked.

From age 9 to now:

Rush

I remember hearing Rush when I was 4 or 5 (AFTK was the new album then...Cygnus X-1 used to scare the shit out of me) but Moving Pictures & their presence on MTV in those days sealed the deal.

Before that I liked Kiss and the paint & album covers and all that but I wouldn't have said they were my favorite.

started out being a Billy Joel fan in the early 80s (Glass Houses was my first cassette I ever owned.) With my 2nd being Phil Collins/Genesis (I only knew of "Invisible Touch".. didn't have a clue about their history.)

Late 80s things started to change as I became more angry and jaded... aka I was becoming a teenager. So I went into a rapid change from the summer before my 8th grade year to the summer of freshman year of HS... I basically ran the gambit of 80s "hair" bands in rapid speed... till I came across "Master of Puppets" by Metallica, and that started me down the path of "metal"

So for the most part, Metallica then was my favorite band (and because I was in a totally different school district/system... nobody knew of my "innocent" or "happy" bands that I used to like.)

Faith No More was the closest band to take the "top spot" from Metallica... but after Angel Dust (still one of my favorite albums) they faded from me. And by then I was starting to return from "the dark side" and wanted more than just "angry and loud" music.. I wanted some substance.

Suddenly I started hitting classic rock and 70s hard rock more.. and that's when I started to really get into Rush (see my first posting for more detail into this.)

And as time went on, my love of Rush music just got bigger and bigger over time. Actually in the grand scheme of things, Rush being my favorite band is still somewhat new since "Vapor Trails" was the album where I can say they became my favorite band.

2nd Favorite is now Foo Fighters (even though I HATED Nirvana... you figure that one out, I sure can't.)

3rd Favorite is... always changing between Metallica, Megadeth, Faith No More, Pink Floyd, Billy Joel, Anthrax, etc.

QUOTE (TheAccountant @ Sep 8 2012, 11:13 PM)
This all changed on an August night in 2002 when I saw Rush at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center on the VT tour. I had seen Rush on the Presto and Counterparts tours but this show - wow. Best show I have ever seen. By any group. Rush vaulted past the others and has never really looked back.

It's funny how many people put VT near the bottom of their lists of "favorite" Rush albums... yet was (IMO) the first album that opened the gateway into the documentaries, newer fans, being noticed even more by the masses, etc.

BTW- enjoyed reading your whole story (which kind of helped me type mine out.)

1977-KISS (I was 4 yrs old)

1983-Motley Crue (submersed me into the world of METAL!)

1983-Ozzy (caught on to him shortly after)

1983-Van Halen ('83 was an important year for me!)

1984-Rush (my cousin gave me Moving Pictures, 'nuff said)

1984-Iron Maiden (what in the hell is a 'Powerslave'? I love it!)

1984-Jimi Hendrix (I checked out RUExp? from the library. Wow.)

1986-Enter Metallica, Slayer, Exodus, Anthrax and the rest of the Thrash Pack. I would never be the same again.

1988-Black Sabbath (first time I heard a full Sabbath album--Paranoid and I was on acid...'nuff said)

1989-The Red Hot Chili Peppers (oh, you don't have to be metal to kick total ass)

1991-1992. Started to broaden my tastes by listening to anything from Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, REM, 311, early gangster rap, even discovered King Crimson (and I was on acid). Most of these artists didn't leave a lasting history with me, but I was never a pure metal head again. Pantera & Sepultura were huge for me in the Nineties though...

1997-Finally, I got around to seeing Rush live. I was so stoked from this show I backtracked through their catalog, buying copies of their first 2 albums for the first time and revisiting the mid-late 80s stuff with a greater appreciation. Rush became my all-time favorite band this year. And I haven't missed a tour since.

2000-The Late 90's gave us a lot of crappy music--Rap Rock/Metal, Nu Metal, etc. I couldn't take it anymore. I started listening to a lot more Classic Rock, 60s & 70s stuff. Led Zeppelin & The Who have been two of my all-time favorites since (Better late than never!)

2000s-Its hard for me to be passionate about newer music, but some of the bands that I do love from this last decade are Mastodon, Black Label Society, System Of A Down, Down, and Slip Knot (yeah, yeah, I know).

Edited by GeddyLeeRoth