Geddy Lee supports Pussy Riot

Lerxster

Three members of the Russian all-girl punk group Pussy Riot have each been sentenced to two years in prison for hooliganism motivated by religious hatred for their performance inside a Moscow cathedral that criticized President Vladimir Putin and the Russian Orthodox Church.

The trial inspired a wave of small but raucous protests across Europe and North America in support of the feminist rockers, who have been dubbed prisoners of conscience by Amnesty International. Hundreds of Pussy Riot supporters waiting outside the Moscow courtroom chanted "down with the police state" when the sentence was announced. Dozens were detained, including several opposition leaders.

The three women were arrested in March after a guerrilla performance in Moscow's main cathedral where they high-kicked and danced while singing a "punk prayer" pleading with the Virgin Mary to save Russia from Vladimir Putin, who would be elected to a third term as Russia's president two weeks later.

Judge Marina Syrova said in her verdict that Nadezhda Tolokonnikova, 22, Maria Alekhina, 24, and Yekaterina Samutsevich, 30, "committed hooliganism driven by religious hatred." She rejected the women's arguments that they were protesting the Orthodox Church's support for Putin and didn't intend to offend religious believers.

The church had called for a tough sentence. However, the BBC reported a church spokesman had asked the court to show mercy on the women, but only after the sentence in a Siberian prison had been brought down.

Putin himself had said the band members shouldn't be judged too harshly. However, this would have left the impression that Putin had bowed to public pressure, something he has resisted throughout his 12 years in power. Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said that Putin couldn't intervene in the judicial process and refused to comment on the sentence.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii282/Lerxster/pussyroit.jpg

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/08...cow-russia.html

Geddy Lee, frontman of Canadian rock band Rush, called the verdict a "shocking abuse of power" and a "Neanderthal overreaction to a fairly harmless prank."

"Clearly artistic freedom has no place in modern-day Russia," he wrote in an email to Evan Solomon, host of CBC's Power & Politics.

GEDDY LEE! f**k YEAH! trink38.gif GeddyFinal.gif http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/67.gif

How is breaking into a church service and protesting a good thing? They couldn't protest outside the church?

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Aug 21 2012, 02:33 PM)
How is breaking into a church service and protesting a good thing? They couldn't protest outside the church?

I think the band's protest was that the Russian Orthodox Chruch is in bed with government. I wouldn't know, but I agree they should probably not have invaded the church. I also think two years in prison is a bit excessive. I think you might just pay a fine anywhere else.

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Aug 21 2012, 09:04 PM)
I think the band's protest was that the Russian Orthodox Chruch is in bed with government. I wouldn't know, but I agree they should probably not have invaded the church. I also think two years in prison is a bit excessive. I think you might just pay a fine anywhere else.

Correct.

The Russian Orthodox Church is keeping very quiet as Putin restricts human rights in Russia and therefore they become a legitimate establishment to protest.

Especially given their own history during the years of soviet communist repression.

Good on you Geddy.