Wisdom Teeth out tomorrow

FountainOfSyrinx

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 20 2012, 06:42 PM)
QUOTE (substancewithoutstyle @ Aug 20 2012, 02:29 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 20 2012, 02:09 AM)
If you have stitches in, whatever you do don't drink anything without a straw for about 48 hours...

That's ass-backward, Treeduck. If you don't have stitches, don't drink anything with a straw for a couple of days, otherwise you may get a dry socket.

biggrin.gif

Actually, even if you do have stitches, it's probably best not to drink through a straw for a few days.

Not that I would quibble with Treeduck. notworthy.gif notworthy.gif

I had three wisdom teeth out back in 1997 under anesthetic in the hospital. They were big and deep and impacted. But all went well and I woke up feeling great, and no pain whatsover. Then I swigged some water out of a glass in the normal way, didn't notice anything for a minute, then spat out a great gob of blood. I spent the next two days spitting blood into a recycled cardboard bowl and biting on cotton wool.

Oooo.., Duck..! ohmy.gif

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Babycat @ Aug 20 2012, 01:04 PM)
If you have stitches in, whatever you do don't drink anything without a straw for about 48 hours...

That's ass-backward, Treeduck. If you don't have stitches, don't drink anything with a straw for a couple of days, otherwise you may get a dry socket.

biggrin.gif

Actually, even if you do have stitches, it's probably best not to drink through a straw for a few days.

I had three wisdom teeth out back in 1997 under anesthetic in the hospital. They were big and deep and impacted. But all went well and I woke up feeling great, and no pain whatsover. Then I swigged some water out of a glass in the normal way, didn't notice anything for a minute, then spat out a great gob of blood. I spent the next two days spitting blood into a recycled cardboard bowl and biting on cotton wool.

Oooo.., Duck..! ohmy.gif

Aye and if I'd taken the drink through a straw, thus avoiding a flood of the stitched-up right jaw, I would have had an easy two days with no bleeding.

trink38.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 20 2012, 12:42 PM)

biggrin.gif

Yeah, ok - but straws are terrible to use. Any sucking action can produce dry sockets. If you run into a Victoria's Secret model and she insists, I'd take my chances if I were you.

QUOTE (rushlady23 @ Aug 20 2012, 11:41 AM)
It's not that bad. The worst part is the gauze packed in there afterwards. I had all 4 taken out with Novocaine and didn't take any of the painkillers they prescribed. When the Novocaine wore off, I had a slight headache so I took Tylenol.

What is novocaine, is it a party drug?

unsure.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 20 2012, 01:07 PM)
QUOTE (rushlady23 @ Aug 20 2012, 11:41 AM)
It's not that bad.  The worst part is the gauze packed in there afterwards.  I had all 4 taken out with Novocaine and didn't take any of the painkillers they prescribed.  When the Novocaine wore off, I had a slight headache so I took Tylenol.

What is novocaine, is it a party drug?

unsure.gif

no, you're thinking of discocaine.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Aug 20 2012, 01:07 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 20 2012, 12:42 PM)

biggrin.gif

Yeah, ok - but straws are terrible to use. Any sucking action can produce dry sockets. If you run into a Victoria's Secret model and she insists, I'd take my chances if I were you.

Well I never did use a straw, it was too late, I couldn't do any more damage...

trink38.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 20 2012, 07:06 PM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Aug 20 2012, 01:04 PM)

biggrin.gif

Oooo.., Duck..! ohmy.gif

Aye and if I'd taken the drink through a straw, thus avoiding a flood of the stitched-up right jaw, I would have had an easy two days with no bleeding.

trink38.gif

ohmy.gif scared.gif ohmy.gif scared.gif ohmy.gif *THUD!!*

Hey man, you guys are freaking awesome!! I just woke up from being basically dead cause of my hydrocodon, and I don't remember one dang thing about the procedure. I just know I've been watching Evrton and Man U.. I've eaten some applesauce and drank a lot of water. My mouth is still really numb but there is no pain whatsoever. I'll keep you guys updated! trink39.gif

QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Aug 20 2012, 02:50 PM)
Hey man, you guys are freaking awesome!! I just woke up from being basically dead cause of my hydrocodon, and I don't remember one dang thing about the procedure. I just know I've been watching Evrton and Man U.. I've eaten some applesauce and drank a lot of water. My mouth is still really numb but there is no pain whatsoever. I'll keep you guys updated! trink39.gif

yeah, let us know when it starts hurtin, cause its coming if you don't manage the meds---stay on top of that bro!!!

I was awake during mine. The cracking sound is still with me today... sad.gif

get to feeling better soon!!!

QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Aug 20 2012, 08:50 PM)

hug2.gif Glad it went extremely well! hug2.gif

QUOTE (Babycat @ Aug 20 2012, 03:00 PM)

My dad is telling me everything that happened.. it's funny cause literally don't remember one thing about anything until I got home hahaha smile.gif but thank you! smile.gif

Glad You're OK new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I had mine out at 17.

My brother - I think he went to the ohmy.gif mall ohmy.gif (yes, yes he did) to have his out and he says he remembers coming out of the meds a bit and the dentist was standing over him trying to get his tooth out! laugh.gif Only at the mall...

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Aug 20 2012, 02:52 PM)
QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Aug 20 2012, 02:50 PM)

yeah, let us know when it starts hurtin, cause its coming if you don't manage the meds---stay on top of that bro!!!

I was awake during mine. The cracking sound is still with me today... sad.gif

get to feeling better soon!!!

They gave me some ham ass meds. I'm already feeling good about that smile.gif

That sucks you were awake.. I can't even imagine!! Keep you posted trink39.gif

I had 6 wisdom teeth (genetic mutation that gave me two extras on the top of my mouth). I had to get them out in two shots, one appointment for the left and one for the right. Since I had to drive home I asked for freezing instead of IV sedation. I just want to point out that I fear surgeries like crazy (I underwent one years ago, it was terrifying) and yet I had no problems with this operation. Anyways, here's some advice:

Before the operation:

- Stock up on protein supplements, instant mashed potatoes, apple sauce and other soft foods that you can eat at room temperature. I was eating nothing but those for 2 days.

- Convince yourself that this is no big deal. This is the easiest operation an oral surgeon is trained for.

During the operation:

- Go to an oral surgeon, not a dentist. The oral surgeon is trained for this. He will be faster and more efficient which means less swelling and paint afterwards.

- If you feel any pinching/discomfort/pain while being frozen (should you decide to be frozen). Make a little groan/ahh noise so the surgeon can put more anaesthetic. This decreases pain/swelling afterwards.

- Bring earbuds so you can listen to music. Most oral surgeons allow this. It's very comforting to have a playlist full of your favourite tunes. Make sure to check if the surgeon is cool with it, most are.

After the operation:

- Avoid hot/cold foods for at least the first day.

- Avoid changing the pressure of your mouth until the stitches are removed. This means no smoking, lollipops, popsicles, etc.

- Try to keep away from activities that make your blood pressure raise to avoid opening the stitches.

- Brush your teeth normally, but be careful towards the back to not touch the stitches. Then rinse with salt water (room temp) to get the back but DO NOT PUT PRESSURE IN YOUR MOUTH. Instead tilt your head to move the water. Rinse with water to remove the salt.

- To minimize swelling, alternate between having a cold compress and no compress. I used an ice pack with two layers of scott towel alternating every half hour or so.

This is what I did and by day 4 I was eating normally and no swelling. Mind you, I had a larger incision due to the extra teeth.

EDIT: I just noticed you already underwent the procedure. Well, congrats to you then. I'm glad it went well. tongue.gif

Edited by USB Connector

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Aug 20 2012, 04:04 PM)
I had 6 wisdom teeth (genetic mutation that gave me two extras on the top of my mouth). I had to get them out in two shots, one appointment for the left and one for the right. Since I had to drive home I asked for freezing instead of IV sedation. I just want to point out that I fear surgeries like crazy (I underwent one years ago, it was terrifying) and yet I had no problems with this operation. Anyways, here's some advice:

Before the operation:
- Stock up on protein supplements, instant mashed potatoes, apple sauce and other soft foods that you can eat at room temperature. I was eating nothing but those for 2 days.

- Convince yourself that this is no big deal. This is the easiest operation an oral surgeon is trained for.

During the operation:
- Go to an oral surgeon, not a dentist. The oral surgeon is trained for this. He will be faster and more efficient which means less swelling and paint afterwards.

- If you feel any pinching/discomfort/pain while being frozen (should you decide to be frozen). Make a little groan/ahh noise so the surgeon can put more anaesthetic. This decreases pain/swelling afterwards.

- Bring earbuds so you can listen to music. Most oral surgeons allow this. It's very comforting to have a playlist full of your favourite tunes. Make sure to check if the surgeon is cool with it, most are.

After the operation:

- Avoid hot/cold foods for at least the first day.

- Avoid changing the pressure of your mouth until the stitches are removed. This means no smoking, lollipops, popsicles, etc.

- Try to keep away from activities that make your blood pressure raise to avoid opening the stitches.

- Brush your teeth normally, but be careful towards the back to not touch the stitches. Then rinse with salt water (room temp) to get the back but DO NOT PUT PRESSURE IN YOUR MOUTH. Instead tilt your head to move the water. Rinse with water to remove the salt.

- To minimize swelling, alternate between having a cold compress and no compress. I used an ice pack with two layers of scott towel alternating every half hour or so.

This is what I did and by day 4 I was eating normally and no swelling. Mind you, I had a larger incision due to the extra teeth.

EDIT: I just noticed you already underwent the procedure. Well, congrats to you then. I'm glad it went well. tongue.gif

I did IV sedation.. I'm kinda knocked on my butt. But your info for after is really helpful. Thank you USB! biggrin.gif

The surgeon I went to had a really neat room for the procedure. It had a big open window where you could see trees with bird feeders hanging in them. Birds were flying all over the place outside the window. Also he had satellite radio and put it on the station of my choice. The walls were a dark beige color similar to the color of coffee with creamer. They kept the lights dim and the whole atmosphere was relaxing as hell(the valium they gave me helped.) I had nitrous oxide gas and lets just say that while I was conscious through the whole procedure, I was feeling no pain. The pain came later after I had woke up from a nap and the local anesthesia had worn off. I was pretty sore then. I took a painkiller and went back to sleep. The next day I was fine.

The whole thing wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Aug 20 2012, 04:20 PM)
The surgeon I went to had a really neat room for the procedure. It had a big open window where you could see trees with bird feeders hanging in them. Birds were flying all over the place outside the window. Also he had satellite radio and put it on the station of my choice. The walls were a dark beige color similar to the color of coffee with creamer. They kept the lights dim and the whole atmosphere was relaxing as hell(the valium they gave me helped.) I had nitrous oxide gas and lets just say that while I was conscious through the whole procedure, I was feeling no pain. The pain came later after I had woke up from a nap and the local anesthesia had worn off. I was pretty sore then. I took a painkiller and went back to sleep. The next day I was fine.

The whole thing wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

Sounds like you had a better experience. I hope I go that way. smile.gif thanks for the help! smile.gif

QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Aug 20 2012, 04:11 PM)

My dad is telling me everything that happened.. it's funny cause literally don't remember one thing about anything until I got home hahaha smile.gif but thank you! smile.gif

So you don't know if the dentist did anything besides pull your teeth... unsure.gif

QUOTE (rushlady23 @ Aug 20 2012, 05:17 PM)
QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Aug 20 2012, 04:11 PM)

So you don't know if the dentist did anything besides pull your teeth... unsure.gif

Now you're scaring me...

wink.gif biggrin.gif

This is why I only go to hot female dentists......just in case..... wink.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Aug 20 2012, 06:30 PM)
So you don't know if the dentist did anything besides pull your teeth...  unsure.gif

This is why I only go to hot female dentists......just in case..... wink.gif

This is why I don't go to sleep in the dentist's chair laugh.gif