Pet Sounds

Akron162

Continuing with my cycle of "historically relevant" pop albums, yesterday i listened to the eleventh and considered by many,best Beach Boys album (ELEVEN ALBUMS IN FOUR YEARS!!!??? The world of music was in such a need of songs about surfing and chasing girls?).

Anyway, I'm not a total stranger to the Beach Boys music, my father actually liked them a lot, but this album was unexplored ground for me.

So, what is my appreciation of it? Well, i did enjoyed it. Its not great or amazing, or the master piece i heard it was, neither i feel like keep listening to it for a while, but its quite nice nevertheless.

I actually liked it more than Sgt. Pepper Lonely Hearts Club Band.

But it had something that i hate and i keep finding in all the pop albums I've been listening to: absurdly short songs. 2 and a half minutes? 3 minutes? What, they charged them for minute? In that time i can even start appreciating the song when the next one has already started. Its too much to ask an 8 minutes synthesizer solo?

Well, this album was quite a surprise anyway, but my favorite still is Something/Anything?. Any suggestions for my next poppy adventure? (It's "poppy" a real word?)

I haven't listened to Pet Sounds in a while but I like it. The Beach Boys were a great band.

What difference does it make if a song is only 2 or 3 minutes or 20 minutes? The only thing that matters for me is if the song is good.

Some good poppy albums:

Big Star - #1 Record & Radio City (power pop)

Mike Keneally - Wing Beat Fantastic (new album that just came out. Even though Keneally is a prog musician this album is pretty poppy since it was written with Andy Partridge)

Squeeze - Argybargy

I enjoy Pet Sounds very much, but I think it is overrated. With that said it's essential listening, despite parts of it sounding really dated, 60's movie soundtrack sounding dated.

Oh, you can't go wrong with Big Star. A great band that is truly underrated.

Okay, suggestions off the top of my head - the first Cheap Trick album, This Year's Model by Elvis Costello & the Attractions and Skylarking by XTC.

Edited by ReRushed

I guess I just don't get whats so good about it? I tried to be objective but, its just not my thang.

but help yourself.

It's a gorgeous album. The first cd I ever bought, along with Bandwagonesque by Teenage Fanclub & Pandora's Box by Aerosmith.

The way Wilson deals with love & loss is both heartwarming and heartbreaking. And the arrangements are off the charts.

Sloop John B is the one sloppy moment.

On a personal note, for my wedding my wife & I got some of our favourite songs arranged for piano, acoustic guitar & female soprano.

One of the songs was God Only Knows. Gotta say, the girls nailed it.

The other songs on that day of days(8 years ago next Tuesday!);

Ave Maria

Calico Skies - Paul McCartney

Closing Time - Tom Waits

Here There & Everywhere - The Beatles

And You And I - Yes

Pet Sounds is an amazing record, pure genius on many levels.

Next...listen to Skylarking by XTC.

QUOTE (The Big Money @ Aug 21 2012, 07:23 PM)
I just saw the Beach Boys movie that came out a couple years ago, and it sparked my interest in the Beach Boys. I think this is a fantastic album. Even if you don't like it, there is no denying what a musical genius Brian Wilson was.

Hey, i said i did enjoyed it , don't i?

QUOTE (Akron162 @ Aug 21 2012, 08:14 PM)
I just saw the Beach Boys movie that came out a couple years ago, and it sparked my interest in the Beach Boys. I think this is a fantastic album. Even if you don't like it, there is no denying what a musical genius Brian Wilson was.

Yes, you did. That comment was more for the negative comments about the album. laugh.gif

QUOTE (The Big Money @ Aug 21 2012, 09:06 PM)
QUOTE (Akron162 @ Aug 21 2012, 08:14 PM)

Yes, you did. That comment was more for the negative comments about the album. laugh.gif

Well, you can't love everything about something, can you?

It's good and I enjoy it but I'd take any Beatles record over it.

It's amusing that one would complain about short songs on a pop album...it kinda goes with the territory. Especially on an album from 1966 when rock/pop had only just begun to break free from that tradition and instrumental virtuosity in rock was almost nonexistant - again it's all about context and an understanding of the history and development of rock & roll. Anyway, there's much to be valued in songs that get straight to it and make their point in 3 minutes or less without a lot of waffling around.

I'd recommend the first Cars album or Zenyatta Mondatta by The Police.

Edited by Silas Lang

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Aug 22 2012, 03:29 AM)

It's amusing that one would complain about short songs on a pop album...it kinda goes with the territory. Especially on an album from 1966 when rock/pop had only just begun to break free from that tradition and instrumental virtuosity in rock was almost nonexistant - again it's all about context and an understanding of the history and development of rock & roll. Anyway, there's much to be valued in songs that get straight to it and make their point in 3 minutes or less without a lot of waffling around.

Procol Harum was making epics as soon as 68.

Edited by Akron162

QUOTE (Akron162 @ Aug 22 2012, 02:26 PM)

Procol Harum was making epics as soon as 78.

Procol Harum (1967)

Shine on Brightly (1968)

A Salty Dog (1969)

Home (1970)

Broken Barricades (1971)

Procol Harum Live In Concert with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra('72)

Grand Hotel (1973)

Exotic Birds and Fruit (1974)

Procol's Ninth (1975)

Something Magic (1977)

A stunning run of albums, arguably the most underrated prog band of all time.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Aug 22 2012, 09:34 AM)
QUOTE (Akron162 @ Aug 22 2012, 02:26 PM)

Procol Harum was making epics as soon as 78.

Procol Harum (1967)

Shine on Brightly (1968)

A Salty Dog (1969)

Home (1970)

Broken Barricades (1971)

Procol Harum Live In Concert with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra('72)

Grand Hotel (1973)

Exotic Birds and Fruit (1974)

Procol's Ninth (1975)

Something Magic (1977)

A stunning run of albums, arguably the most underrated prog band of all time.

I mean 68, sorry.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Aug 18 2012, 04:50 PM)
Pet Sounds is an amazing record, pure genius on many levels.

Next...listen to Skylarking by XTC.

Wow. That sounds hugely influenced by Pet Sounds era Beach Boys.

QUOTE (Akron162 @ Aug 22 2012, 09:26 AM)

Procol Harum was making epics as soon as 68.

I wasn't really talking about 'epics' - just stuff that was breaking that rule of 2-3 minute rock/pop song. There were lots of changes beginning in late '65 and several bands doing it. By 1968 it was quite commonplace actually.

"Pet Sounds", in my opinion, is the best sounding and best produced records ever made.

It is perfect musically, lyrically, vocally from start to finish.

It is simply beautiful.

It always hovers around the top of any list of pop or rock music and there is a reason for that...

...two words,

Brian Wilson.

What he created with "Pet Sounds" is almost without definition musically.

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/500/53818895/Pet+Sounds.png

And if Pet Sounds is great (which it is of course)...

Holy cow, listen to the SMiLE sessions!!!!!!!!! Regardless of those who pass the project off as a drug experiment, this is some of the most intuitive and genius material for its time and even currently today!

1022.gif

QUOTE (PrismEye @ Aug 25 2012, 08:56 AM)
And if Pet Sounds is great (which it is of course)...

Holy cow, listen to the SMiLE sessions!!!!!!!!! Regardless of those who pass the project off as a drug experiment, this is some of the most intuitive and genius material for its time and even currently today!

1022.gif

goodpost.gif

Just listened to this masterpiece the other day...

...it is simply amazing!

It took several listens for Pet Sounds to grow on me, but once it did I was hooked and played it almost every day for months. Just peel back the many, many layers and you'll see the level of genius that was poured into this album. The little nuances here and there...the sheer dedication to making sure every note (and every instrument) had a distinct purpose...quite an amazing accomplishment, especially coming from a guy in his early 20's working through a persistent cloud of doubt at the time (his bandmates and the record company were not entirely on board with the project). And Smile picked right up where Pet Sounds left off, creatively speaking (too bad the "cloud of doubt" took over at that point, but it had a silver lining 40+ years later).

It can take a while to "get it", but if you give it enough spins while also gaining an understanding of the level of commitment that went into making it, Pet Sounds will pay huge dividends.

QUOTE (Gnoom @ Aug 28 2012, 06:10 AM)
It took several listens for Pet Sounds to grow on me, but once it did I was hooked and played it almost every day for months. Just peel back the many, many layers and you'll see the level of genius that was poured into this album. The little nuances here and there...the sheer dedication to making sure every note (and every instrument) had a distinct purpose...quite an amazing accomplishment, especially coming from a guy in his early 20's working through a persistent cloud of doubt at the time (his bandmates and the record company were not entirely on board with the project). And Smile picked right up where Pet Sounds left off, creatively speaking (too bad the "cloud of doubt" took over at that point, but it had a silver lining 40+ years later).

It can take a while to "get it", but if you give it enough spins while also gaining an understanding of the level of commitment that went into making it, Pet Sounds will pay huge dividends.

goodpost.gif

Very well said, thanks!

Here's some great photos of the genius, Brian Wilson at work...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ivWX1b9wiEw/TEtKPtAFPNI/AAAAAAAABno/4Ec4tQRha1Q/s1600/petsounds+sessions.jpg

http://coolalbumreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/bw66.jpg

http://davidgordonschmidt.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/brian-in-studio.jpg

http://www.coutant.org/petsound/ll.jpg

http://www.kristiangoddard.net/Testimonials/Brian_Wilson_Recording_Pet_Sounds.jpg

http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/CommonImageDocumentMaster/Legends/Brian-Wilson.jpg

Edited by ReGorLaTroy