12. Grace Under Pressure

13. Vapor Trails

14. Hold Your Fire

15. Presto

16. Test for Echo

17. Fly by Night

18. Rush

19. Caress of Steel

Changed my mind slightly, I'm listening to their debut album right now and I've remembered that it's actually pretty good, so I'll move it up to 14th.

1. Clockwork Angels

2. Power Windows

3. Signals

4. Moving Pictures

5. A Farewell to Kings

6. 2112

7. Permanent Waves

8. Hemispheres

9. Roll the Bones

10. Counterparts

11. Snakes & Arrows

12. Grace Under Pressure

13. Vapor Trails

14. Hold Your Fire

15. Presto

16. Test for Echo

17. Fly by Night

18. Rush

19. Caress of Steel

Changed my mind slightly, I'm listening to their debut album right now and I've remembered that it's actually pretty good, so I'll move it up to 14th.

When it and Caress Of Steel break the top 10 let me know...... :)

1. Clockwork Angels

2. Power Windows

3. Signals

4. Moving Pictures

5. A Farewell to Kings

6. 2112

7. Permanent Waves

8. Hemispheres

9. Roll the Bones

10. Counterparts

11. Snakes & Arrows

12. Grace Under Pressure

13. Vapor Trails

14. Hold Your Fire

15. Presto

16. Test for Echo

17. Fly by Night

18. Rush

19. Caress of Steel

I kinda dig that top ten...

But the magic of CA has worn off...for now...

• Like 1

1. Clockwork Angels

2. Power Windows

3. Signals

4. Moving Pictures

5. A Farewell to Kings

6. 2112

7. Permanent Waves

8. Hemispheres

9. Roll the Bones

10. Counterparts

11. Snakes & Arrows

12. Grace Under Pressure

13. Vapor Trails

14. Hold Your Fire

15. Presto

16. Test for Echo

17. Fly by Night

18. Rush

19. Caress of Steel

All of the albums in his top 10 (exception RTB, CP) are complete good-great albums. The order is problematic for me but just my opinion........

1. Clockwork Angels

2. Power Windows

3. Signals

4. Moving Pictures

5. A Farewell to Kings

6. 2112

7. Permanent Waves

8. Hemispheres

9. Roll the Bones

10. Counterparts

11. Snakes & Arrows

12. Grace Under Pressure

13. Vapor Trails

14. Hold Your Fire

15. Presto

16. Test for Echo

17. Fly by Night

18. Rush

19. Caress of Steel

All of the albums in his top 10 (exception RTB, CP) are complete good-great albums. The order is problematic for me but just my opinion........

So is RTB good, or great?!?

1. Clockwork Angels

2. Power Windows

3. Signals

4. Moving Pictures

5. A Farewell to Kings

6. 2112

7. Permanent Waves

8. Hemispheres

9. Roll the Bones

10. Counterparts

11. Snakes & Arrows

12. Grace Under Pressure

13. Vapor Trails

14. Hold Your Fire

15. Presto

16. Test for Echo

17. Fly by Night

18. Rush

19. Caress of Steel

Neither. Its half good. The first half.....

1. Clockwork Angels

2. Power Windows

3. Signals

4. Moving Pictures

5. A Farewell to Kings

6. 2112

7. Permanent Waves

8. Hemispheres

9. Roll the Bones

10. Counterparts

11. Snakes & Arrows

12. Grace Under Pressure

13. Vapor Trails

14. Hold Your Fire

15. Presto

16. Test for Echo

17. Fly by Night

18. Rush

19. Caress of Steel

Neither. Its half good. The first half.....

It used to be one of my favourites. Really, really can't remember why.

Edited by Segue Myles

I have CoS in my top 10, but not 2112.

:outtahere:

Geez..... :eyeroll:

I can sort of understand. I think CoS is more cohesive...even if all of 2112 is wonderful.

That said, 2112 is still on my "excellent Rush albums" list, and it is 11th overall.

What are the first 10?.........

That said, 2112 is still on my "excellent Rush albums" list, and it is 11th overall.

Woohoo!

10/10: MP, AFTK, Hemispheres

9.9/10: ATWAS (For the sheer energy in this release!)

9.5/10: P/G, PoW

9/10: Signals, CA

8.5/10: PeW, CoS, R30, CA Tour

8/10: 2112, VTR, ESL, (My lower limit for "great album")

7.5/10: HYF, FBN, CP, Debut, ASOH, TM (fun fact: CP was one of my first Rush albums)

7/10: Presto, S&A, S&A Tour

6.5/10: RTB, Different Stages

5.5/10: T4E

3/10: Original VT

Agh! My mistake! It appears that 2112 is indeed 10th among studio albums...

Edited by len(songs)

10/10: MP, AFTK, Hemispheres

9.5/10: P/G, PoW, ATWAS

9/10: Signals, CA

8.5/10: PeW, CoS, R30, CA Tour

8/10: 2112, VTR, ESL, S&A tour(My lower limit for "great album")

7.5/10: HYF, FBN, CP, Debut ASOH, TM (fun fact: CP was one of my first Rush albums)

7/10: Presto

6.5/10: RTB, Different Stages

5.5/10: T4E

3/10: Original VT

The live one's don't count in this case. That's what threw me off...... :smash:

1. Clockwork Angels

2. Power Windows

3. Signals

4. Moving Pictures

5. A Farewell to Kings

6. 2112

7. Permanent Waves

8. Hemispheres

9. Roll the Bones

10. Counterparts

11. Snakes & Arrows

12. Grace Under Pressure

13. Vapor Trails

14. Hold Your Fire

15. Presto

16. Test for Echo

17. Fly by Night

18. Rush

19. Caress of Steel

And Fly By Night moves up a place too.

not getting into the business of ranking each album is just impossible you could make a case at different points in time for most of the albums to slot into the top five but, right now i feel able to rate the first... and last.

1. Permanent Waves. absolutely note and lyrically perfect in every single way. written by the gods in my opinion. even the artwork and general packaging is utterly sublime. we are simply not worthy.

Last. Clockwork angels i'm afraid. although four of the tracks are the band's supreme best in my opinion, notably BU2B which is just totally awesome, i have to say the album as a whole sadly falls disappointingly short by previous standards for me. i've removed half the album from my playlist as it's just boring. only rush album i've ever done that with.

everything else sort of interchange position at various points in my life, but they all have to compare with Waves at no.1, obviously a few of them come very very close indeed.

Edited by lifeson90

Last. Clockwork angels i'm afraid. although four of the tracks are the band's supreme best in my opinion, notably BU2B which is just totally awesome, i have to say the album as a whole sadly falls disappointingly short by previous standards for me. i've removed half the album from my playlist as it's just boring. only rush album i've ever done that with.

???

1. Moving Pictures (97)

2. Clockwork Angels (95)

3. Permanent Waves (94)

4. Counterparts (92)

5. Grace Under Pressure (91)

6. Roll the Bones (88)

7. Presto (86)

8. Vapor Trails (85)

8. Power Windows (85)

10. 2112 (83)

11. Signals (82)

12. Hemispheres (81)

13. Hold Your Fire (79)

14. Snakes & Arrows (77)

14. A Farewell to Kings (77)

16. Rush (73)

17. Fly By Night (69)

18. Test for Echo (67)

19. Caress of Steel (54)

• Like 1

Trying again (it changes all the time and I love lists!):

20: Roll The Bones ★★

- I loved this when I first heard it, but in all honesty, it is the worst album they ever released. Neurotica, Heresy, and Face Up really don't sound like the sort of music anyone should write and be proud of. I do have a soft spot for The Big Wheel, and Ghost Of A Chance, Bravado, Dreamline and the title track are absolutely brilliant! Also, for all the criticism Presto gets for its thin sound, I genuinely prefer it to the overly glossy, almost boy band shiny style pop production of this album. Time has not been kind to Roll The Bones.

19: Feedback ★★★★

- Low ranking purely because it ain't original Rush.

18: Snakes And Arrows ★★☆

- In all honesty, every song is good. But this is a really plodding, aimless album with all the strengths bogged down by a lack of truly great songs and an overarching sense of repetitiveness.

17: Test For Echo ★★☆

- This is a major guilty pleasure of mine! It has so many really embarrassing factors that make me frown upon it, such as the lyrics to Dog Years, the goofiness of Virtuality and the laughable Half The World and Totem. But in a comical sort of way, it all remains steadfastly entertaining, and musically speaking, this album is near faultless! Driven, Time And Motion, Carve Away The Stone and the title track are fantastic! This deserves a solid score, and I want to rank it higher than it is, but considering the bands greatest achievements are virtually peerless, it is fair to say its fortunate to have made it this high!

16: Rush ★★★

- This is beautifully played old-school rock and roll! Sounds heavily indebted to Led Zeppelin, and Lifeson is almost god-like on the guitar. But I prefer Rush to Led Zeppelin, so the Rushier the sound, the higher it places on this chart. Still, the more I play this album, the more chance it will grow on me further!

15: Fly By Night ★★★

- I debated whether or not to place this above the debut, but it has some really cool songs, such as Anthem, By-Tor And The Snow Dog and Fly By Night. Good stuff!

14: Signals ★★★

- Losing It, Subdivisions, Countdown, Analog Kid, New World Man, The Weapon...what fantastic songs they are! The rest are fine. Just fine. No more than that. Also, the thin, almost hollow production is a massive step down from Moving Pictures, and the overall Police-vibe doesn't always gel well with me. I have to be in the mood. Its great to see how well this new era started, but the subsequent three heavy-synth albums are flawless. I like Signals a lot. But I think for all the flack Presto gets for its supposedly "weak" production, it is Signals that truly stands as the bands worst sounding 80's release.

13:Counterparts ★★★★

- I really enjoy this album! One problem I have with it is Stick It Out. Just not the biggest fan of it. Also, it doesn't always sound like the great rock band Rush were in the past, with the odd slightly ordinary song bogging it down. Still, conventional radio rock charmers such as The Speed Of Love, Nobody's Hero and Cut To The Chase sit very comfortably amongst the superior songs, which include Animate and the immortally bonkers Double Agent. For my money, Cold Fire and Everyday Glory are the best closing doubles since Losing It/Countdown on Signals. Oh, and Counterparts is one of the best sounding Rush albums ever!

12: Hemispheres ★★★★

- It is funny that an album held as being the greatest by such a large portion of the Rush community leaves me so cold. But the title track is close to being impenetrable to my ears, although the second side more than makes up for any faults I find on side one! The worst of Rush's "epic" albums, though I accept not everybody shares my view!

-10: Clockwork Angels ★★★★☆

- An astonishing achievement for the band, if it wasn't for CA I might not be writing this ridiculous essay! It is truly breathtaking, with every song hitting the right notes, and Headlong Flight, The Garden, Seven Cities Of Gold and Caravan ranking high on my list of favourites! One issue: the production is muddy, leaving this album slightly lacking in comparison with their seventies rockers.

-10: Vapor Trails/Remix ★★★★☆

- I cannot choose which is better: CA or VT. Vapor Trails was formerly my least favourite Rush album, but something happened one time I played it recently: the songs moved me. Aggressive, heavy, raw, angry but also optimistic, uplifting and heartwarning, this album is one massive journey! Bearing in mind the bands recent turmoil, this obviously shouldn't come as any surprise. But it does! Earthshine, Sweet Miracle, Ghost Rider, and Nocturne are my stone cold favourites. Snakes amd Arrows had better production/mixing but VT is arguably not only the stronger set of songs, but possibly the bands finest album to date. But that production though...not good.

9: 2112 ★★★★☆

- Delicous. 2112 is delicious. The title track is surprisingly intamite for such a pompously arranged and lengthy track, and I have been moved to tears by the tragi story it tells! Although the second side is not to be sniffed at, overall I think Caress Of Steel is the better album, even if 2112 is close to being the best song the band ever wrote...

8: Caress Of Steel ★★★★☆

- Bastille Day, I Think I'm Going Bald, Lakeside Park...o my I love all three songs for very different reasons! ITIGB has a really funny set of lyrics (sorry, I don't buy the hype surrounding how "bad" this song is), and Bastille Day is one of my favourite songs of all time. As for Necromancer and The Fountain Of Lamneth, I feel intoxicated every time I play them. Really love this album, although I think the spoken word sections of The Necromancer could have been done better...

7: Grace Under Pressure ★★★★★

- A PERFECT ALBUM! My top seven might as well all be labelled number one! Not a fault to be found on my beloved p/g, Distant Early Warning and Red Sector A are my favourites.

6: Presto ★★★★★

- Ok, Superconductor isn't the greatest song ever. But its good enough to not bring the rest of the album down! I love everything about this one, and Show Don't Tell, Chain Lightning, The Pass, Presto and the heavenly Available Light are up their with the likes of Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves in my book. I don't care about the so called thing production. All I hear is a great, fun collection of beautifully sung tunes and a wonderful return to the sound of MP, the album that turned me onto Rush.

5: Permanent Waves ★★★★★

- Nothing to complain about here, everything is a winner! So glad they chose to break away from the monster rock of Hemispheres and venture into more commercial, but stupendously technical, rock territory. Freewill has one of the best choruses in the history of the band. Classic.

4: Power Windows ★★★★★

- Like Vapor Trails, I used to practically hate on this album. Once again, it grew on me. And then it grew, and grew and grew AND grew until I could no longer deny it: this is a masterpiece. Marothon and Grand Designs are my to favourites, with Marathon close to being my all time favourite Rush song.

3: Hold Your Fire ★★★★★

- I love how this sounds like Rush and nobody else, whilst at the same time not really sounding like Rush at all. A creative triumph, it gets targeted for its overt commercial pop rock tendencies. I say: if all pop music was as well crafted musically, technically and as vibrantly played as songs such as Time Stand Still, Lock And Key or Mission, then we would all be living in a much better world. This is truly underrated. When people ask me why Rush are so important to me, admittedly HYF is not the first album that comes to mind. However, I adore it for its strangeness and I honestly think this the Hemispheres of the eighties: it pushed the bands then current sound to the absolute maximum potential, nearly overdid it, but reveals itself to be a major masterwork. An absolute beast of an album, and yes, I love Tai Shan and High Water.

2: Moving Pictures ★★★★★

- Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, YYZ, Limelight, The Camera Eye, Witch Hunt and Vital Signs are amongst the greatest songs ever written. And they are all on ONE album! Amazing! And I love the artwork, not that that has any bearing on the quality of the music within. Seriously pleased this was my first Rush album.

1: A Farewell To Kings ★★★★★

- This album has a curious, almost medieval vibe that creates a tense and unique atmosphere that for me is mindblowing! The title track and Xanadu make side one the best Rush album side alongside 2112 and MP side one. The second side is really enjoyable as well, with both Cinderella Man and Madrigal better than their reputation suggests. A Farewell To Kings is pretty much my all time favourite classic rock album, I really cannot praise it highly enough!

This will probably be out of date by this evening.

- I loved this when I first heard it, but in all honesty, it is the worst album they ever released. Neurotica, Heresy, and Face Up really don't sound like the sort of music anyone should write and be proud of. I do have a soft spot for The Big Wheel, and Ghost Of A Chance, Bravado, Dreamline and the title track are absolutely brilliant! Also, for all the criticism Presto gets for its thin sound, I genuinely prefer it to the overly glossy, almost boy band shiny style pop production of this album. Time has not been kind to Roll The Bones.

- In all honesty, every song is good. But this is a really plodding, aimless album with all the strengths bogged down by a lack of truly great songs and an overarching sense of repetitiveness.

- This is a major guilty pleasure of mine! It has so many really embarrassing factors that make me frown upon it, such as the lyrics to Dog Years, the goofiness of Virtuality and the laughable Half The World and Totem. But in a comical sort of way, it all remains steadfastly entertaining, and musically speaking, this album is near faultless! Driven, Time And Motion, Carve Away The Stone and the title track are fantastic! This deserves a solid score, and I want to rank it higher than it is, but considering the bands greatest achievements are virtually peerless, it is fair to say its fortunate to have made it this high!

- This is beautifully played old-school rock and roll! Sounds heavily indebted to Led Zeppelin, and Lifeson is almost god-like on the guitar. But I prefer Rush to Led Zeppelin, so the Rushier the sound, the higher it places on this chart. Still, the more I play this album, the more chance it will grow on me further!

- I debated whether or not to place this above the debut, but it has some really cool songs, such as Anthem, By-Tor And The Snow Dog and Fly By Night. Good stuff!

- Losing It, Subdivisions, Countdown, Analog Kid, New World Man, The Weapon...what fantastic songs they are! The rest are fine. Just fine. No more than that. Also, the thin, almost hollow production is a massive step down from Moving Pictures, and the overall Police-vibe doesn't always gel well with me. I have to be in the mood. Its great to see how well this new era started, but the subsequent three heavy-synth albums are flawless. I like Signals a lot. But I think for all the flack Presto gets for its supposedly "weak" production, it is Signals that truly stands as the bands worst sounding 80's release.

- I really enjoy this album! One problem I have with it is Stick It Out. Just not the biggest fan of it. Also, it doesn't always sound like the great rock band Rush were in the past, with the odd slightly ordinary song bogging it down. Still, conventional radio rock charmers such as The Speed Of Love, Nobody's Hero and Cut To The Chase sit very comfortably amongst the superior songs, which include Animate and the immortally bonkers Double Agent. For my money, Cold Fire and Everyday Glory are the best closing doubles since Losing It/Countdown on Signals. Oh, and Counterparts is one of the best sounding Rush albums ever!

- It is funny that an album held as being the greatest by such a large portion of the Rush community leaves me so cold. But the title track is close to being impenetrable to my ears, although the second side more than makes up for any faults I find on side one! The worst of Rush's "epic" albums, though I accept not everybody shares my view!

- An astonishing achievement for the band, if it wasn't for CA I might not be writing this ridiculous essay! It is truly breathtaking, with every song hitting the right notes, and Headlong Flight, The Garden, Seven Cities Of Gold and Caravan ranking high on my list of favourites! One issue: the production is muddy, leaving this album slightly lacking in comparison with their seventies rockers.

- I cannot choose which is better: CA or VT. Vapor Trails was formerly my least favourite Rush album, but something happened one time I played it recently: the songs moved me. Aggressive, heavy, raw, angry but also optimistic, uplifting and heartwarning, this album is one massive journey! Bearing in mind the bands recent turmoil, this obviously shouldn't come as any surprise. But it does! Earthshine, Sweet Miracle, Ghost Rider, and Nocturne are my stone cold favourites. Snakes amd Arrows had better production/mixing but VT is arguably not only the stronger set of songs, but possibly the bands finest album to date. But that production though...not good.

- Delicous. 2112 is delicious. The title track is surprisingly intamite for such a pompously arranged and lengthy track, and I have been moved to tears by the tragi story it tells! Although the second side is not to be sniffed at, overall I think Caress Of Steel is the better album, even if 2112 is close to being the best song the band ever wrote...

- Bastille Day, I Think I'm Going Bald, Lakeside Park...o my I love all three songs for very different reasons! ITIGB has a really funny set of lyrics (sorry, I don't buy the hype surrounding how "bad" this song is), and Bastille Day is one of my favourite songs of all time. As for Necromancer and The Fountain Of Lamneth, I feel intoxicated every time I play them. Really love this album, although I think the spoken word sections of The Necromancer could have been done better...

- A PERFECT ALBUM! My top seven might as well all be labelled number one! Not a fault to be found on my beloved p/g, Distant Early Warning and Red Sector A are my favourites.

- Ok, Superconductor isn't the greatest song ever. But its good enough to not bring the rest of the album down! I love everything about this one, and Show Don't Tell, Chain Lightning, The Pass, Presto and the heavenly Available Light are up their with the likes of Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves in my book. I don't care about the so called thing production. All I hear is a great, fun collection of beautifully sung tunes and a wonderful return to the sound of MP, the album that turned me onto Rush.

- Nothing to complain about here, everything is a winner! So glad they chose to break away from the monster rock of Hemispheres and venture into more commercial, but stupendously technical, rock territory. Freewill has one of the best choruses in the history of the band. Classic.

- Like Vapor Trails, I used to practically hate on this album. Once again, it grew on me. And then it grew, and grew and grew AND grew until I could no longer deny it: this is a masterpiece. Marothon and Grand Designs are my to favourites, with Marathon close to being my all time favourite Rush song.

- I love how this sounds like Rush and nobody else, whilst at the same time not really sounding like Rush at all. A creative triumph, it gets targeted for its overt commercial pop rock tendencies. I say: if all pop music was as well crafted musically, technically and as vibrantly played as songs such as Time Stand Still, Lock And Key or Mission, then we would all be living in a much better world. This is truly underrated. When people ask me why Rush are so important to me, admittedly HYF is not the first album that comes to mind. However, I adore it for its strangeness and I honestly think this the Hemispheres of the eighties: it pushed the bands then current sound to the absolute maximum potential, nearly overdid it, but reveals itself to be a major masterwork. An absolute beast of an album, and yes, I love Tai Shan and High Water.

- Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, YYZ, Limelight, The Camera Eye, Witch Hunt and Vital Signs are amongst the greatest songs ever written. And they are all on ONE album! Amazing! And I love the artwork, not that that has any bearing on the quality of the music within. Seriously pleased this was my first Rush album.

- This album has a curious, almost medieval vibe that creates a tense and unique atmosphere that for me is mindblowing! The title track and Xanadu make side one the best Rush album side alongside 2112 and MP side one. The second side is really enjoyable as well, with both Cinderella Man and Madrigal better than their reputation suggests. A Farewell To Kings is pretty much my all time favourite classic rock album, I really cannot praise it highly enough!

We can only hope...... :)

Well, at the moment Hold Your Fire is blowing my mind...so maybe that will be even higher than third place!

• Like 1

Well, at the moment Hold Your Fire is blowing my mind...so maybe that will be even higher than third place!

I hope so. I always said that HYF was their most underrated release, along with Vapor Trails... When I made the last list, I hadn't listened to it in a little while, but it'd probably be higher if I redid mine now...

I hope so. I always said that HYF was their most underrated release, along with Vapor Trails... When I made the last list, I hadn't listened to it in a little while, but it'd probably be higher if I redid mine now...

Hold Your Fire is definitely their most underrated album, alongside Presto.

I don't know about Vapor Trails, it seems to have equal love and hate from the fanbase, with most of the flack being due to the production. HYF and Presto get slayed for apparently dull songs/lack of Rushiness etc.