Fly By Night

losingit2k

You know, Fly By Night is the only classic Rush song that hasn't made an appearance in any Rush Set List since the Archives Tour. Probably due to the Rhythm guitar over the lead or maybe its too high for Geddy to sing? Regardless, I would really like them to give it a second chance, specially with the devices and triggers they incorporate into the shows laterly.

Why do you think Fly By Night has not received any Love Live?

confused13.gif

Edited by losingit2k

Probably because they just don't like it. Keep in mind, they only played the original version on the Rush, FBN and CoS tours. As early as the 2112 tour, the shortened it and cut into In The Mood. The dropped it completely following the Archives tour in '78.

QUOTE (sdhonda @ Aug 4 2012, 06:39 PM)
Probably because they just don't like it. Keep in mind, they only played the original version on the Rush, FBN and CoS tours. As early as the 2112 tour, the shortened it and cut into In The Mood. The dropped it completely following the Archives tour in '78.

How can they not like it? Its probably one of their best songs from the early days and besides Working Man [/i, its the only one I ever heard being played on the airways. They didn't even give it a nod during the R30 medley. I can't explain it. They should create an Archives instrumedley and throw in a bunch of tunes we've haven't heard in ages:

confused13.gif

Finding my Way, What You're Doing, Anthem, Garden Road, Best I Can, Fly By Night, By Tor & the Snow Dog, Bastille Day, The Necromancer, No One at the Bridge.

It would be Awesome!

1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

Edited by losingit2k

I was always under the impression they didn't like the song too much. I mean they took a three and a half minute song and shortened it live back in the 70s and it hasn't been in the set in well over 30 years. If that right there doesn't tell you they don't really care for it then I don't know what does.

I would love to hear it live though. They would have to change the arrangement to fit Geddy's voice now obviously but I think this song would come off pretty well with Geddy singing it in his current voice.

Neil commented on it back in 1984:

We've dropped songs that were very popular and people expected us to play forever. There comes a day when we have to say, "We have nothing to say with this song anymore. We can't play it with conviction." Otherwise, it becomes like a joke - like we're taking advantage of people or we're pandering to them. We can't do that, so we drop the song. And we take a lot of flak for it. People say, "Well, why didn't they play more OLD songs?" It's because we can't do that honestly. We can't play "Fly By Night" or "Working Man" anymore with any conviction.

(Source: http://2112.net/powerwindows/transcripts/1...derndrummer.htm )

Working Man, of course, managed to find its way back into the setlist, so I suppose we can't rule anything out. But they were able to rework WM, and the jam interlude gives them a lot of freedom to stretch out from the original structure. I have a hard time seeing them ever bringing back a ditty like Fly By Night. I don't think Geddy would sound very good singing it at this point anyway. And while I do love the song, I'm not heartbroken over never getting to see it performed, as the recorded live renditions don't work as well for me as the studio version.

Edited by Cyclonus X-1

Indeed.

I think the only way we might hear it ever again would be as part of a medley or a short teaser or something.

EDIT: Oh heck, the chances of it popping up on this tour are nill. Take Working Man: it was the VT, R30 and TM tours. The VT tour was a sort of comeback show, so they had an excuse to whip it out at the end of the oldies medley. Again, similar with R30, and TMT. But they dropped it on the S&A tour, which was dominated S&A songs, obscure (to the average joe) rares like Circumstances and Entre Nous, and can't drops like TS and LL.

This show will be dominated by CA songs, can't drops and songs that would work well with a string section (even if they only play part of the show). Even if they did have it in their 4 hour wishlist, it has so much competition that I can't see it making the cut.

But then again I could be wrong.

Edited by sdhonda

If Rush won't play it because they don't like it, I've lost some respect for them. It's their BEST song from the 70s and it's the BEST of Rush title tracks. They've played other title tracks in concert kinda recently. I mean, are you serious? 1978 is last time you played it and it got shortened?! It would be a gift from the Solar Federalists high up in space if Rush played it this tour...

Just because some fans think that this is one of their best songs doesn't mean that it is...if they don't want to play it for any reason that is fine by me. There are several songs that I would love to see that they probably won't play for a number of reasons.

Geddy said in an interview a few years ago that Working Man is basically the only pre-2112 song he can still sing without it sounding horrible.

Ged said in an interview a while back that they tried it and it sounded bad and as much as the fans want to hear songs from that era if they don't like how it sounds they won't play them.

I wouldn't mind a lot of the older stuff in a lower register so Ged could sing it, just so I could hear it again live.

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Aug 5 2012, 03:09 PM)

Ged said in an interview a while back that they tried it and it sounded bad and as much as the fans want to hear songs from that era if they don't like how it sounds they won't play them.
I wouldn't mind a lot of the older stuff in a lower register so Ged could sing it, just so I could hear it again live.

Yeah, bring it down two or three Keys. I don't really care what key they play it in. I would just like to hear it Live once.

yes.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Aug 5 2012, 10:15 PM)
QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Aug 5 2012, 03:09 PM)

Yeah, bring it down two or three Keys. I don't really care what key they play it in. I would just like to hear it Live once.

yes.gif

Oh god I can't picture FBN toned down to the key they use for 2112. It would take a bright and cheery song and turn it into something dark and dismal with a fast tempo. It works for 2112 because that's what the priests are.

QUOTE (DBJetsman @ Aug 4 2012, 09:08 PM)
If Rush won't play it because they don't like it, I've lost some respect for them. It's their BEST song from the 70s and it's the BEST of Rush title tracks. They've played other title tracks in concert kinda recently. I mean, are you serious? 1978 is last time you played it and it got shortened?! It would be a gift from the Solar Federalists high up in space if Rush played it this tour...

You've lost respect for them because they won't play a song that they don't like and don't feel they can play with any conviction?

I could see being *disappointed* by that, but it would seem that the opposite scenario (playing a song they don't like and don't believe in) is what should potentially generate a loss of respect, no?

QUOTE (The Omega Concern @ Aug 7 2012, 12:51 PM)
How about an extended Clockwork Angels (song) ending with a Fly By Night coda. "As if to Fly..." jam section with strings into a short "Fly by night - away from here"...

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

I think that would be pretty cool!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif