Official New Music Thread

Moonraker

You should...absolutely incredible concert. Truly groundbreaking, in terms of some of the visual effects and multimedia stuff they used, and they were at their peak musically too. Has some rarely-performed Zooropa material too, so that's another plus. That album is great, btw, if you don't have it. Very underrated. Same goes for Pop, that one gets a ridiculously bad rap from most fans, but it's one of their best.

Their last two albums (ATYCLB and How to Dismantle...) have grown on me somewhat, I'll admit, but if they really want to reach their peak again, they need to get as far away from that sound as possible and try something new. Which was what made Achtung so great in the first place, how strikingly different it was from Joshua Tree. I played it for a friend who was only familiar with that era of U2, and she said, "woah, this is NOT the U2 sound I'm used to." And that's the beauty of it.

The Mars Volta-Tremulant

The Mars Volta-Frances the Mute

The White Stripes-There's No Home For You Here 7"

All vinyl.

I also spent a ton of money today on Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness by The Smashing Pumpkins 3LP set. Should arrive in a few days.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jul 6 2007, 05:45 PM)
You should...absolutely incredible concert. Truly groundbreaking, in terms of some of the visual effects and multimedia stuff they used, and they were at their peak musically too. Has some rarely-performed Zooropa material too, so that's another plus. That album is great, btw, if you don't have it. Very underrated. Same goes for Pop, that one gets a ridiculously bad rap from most fans, but it's one of their best.

Their last two albums (ATYCLB and How to Dismantle...) have grown on me somewhat, I'll admit, but if they really want to reach their peak again, they need to get as far away from that sound as possible and try something new. Which was what made Achtung so great in the first place, how strikingly different it was from Joshua Tree. I played it for a friend who was only familiar with that era of U2, and she said, "woah, this is NOT the U2 sound I'm used to." And that's the beauty of it.

Well, the next album is apparently going to be different....maybe I'm just a shameless optimist when it comes to bands I like, but I'm looking forward to it.

Damn...are there any U2 threads around that I didn't kill off with my excessive fanboyness a year ago?

Just bought the re-issue of The Sound of Animals Fighting's "Tiger & the Duke". It's re-mastered, and has eight remixes from their second album "Lover, The Lord Has Left Us..."

I just started listening, I'll post what I think in awhile.

The White Stripes-Icky Thump

Black Sabbath-Paranoid

Stevie Wonder-Innervisions

Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind

Rush-Archives

Rush-Fly By Night

Pink Floyd-Wish You Were Here

Yngwie J. Malmsteen-Rising Force

Emerson, Lake and Palmer-Trilogy

Boston-Boston

All vinyl.

I also found The Joshua Tree for free in the clearance rack, but part of it's warped, not sure if it will play.

http://www.spirit-of-metal.com/les%20goupes/D/Dream%20Theater/Metropolis%20pt2%20:%20Scenes%20From%20A%20Memory/Metropolis%20pt2%20:%20Scenes%20From%20A%20Memory.jpg

and

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/images/albums/retrospective1-cover-s.jpg

Were only $8 together. So what the hell.

Just bought...

http://www.cydragon.nl/weblog/juturna.jpg

"Juturna" by Circa Survive... I'm about 1/3 through, and it's a fantastic record so far. Also, the "Tiger & the Duke" album by The Sound of Animals Fighting is great...recommended to anyone who's interested.

Miles Davis-On The Corner

Moody Blues-On The Threshold of A Dream

Moody Blues-Days of Future Passed

The Flaming Lips-Zaireeka

The weird thing about the Zaireeka CD I got is that it is supposed to be a 4 disc album so you can create a wall of sound to play simultaneously, but I got an import version with all four CDs in one for only 10 bucks. It still sounds kick ass

I bought these last Tuesday:

Against Me! - New Wave

Interpol - Our Love to Admire

The Against Me! album is slightly disappointing. I still like it, but AM is better when they're stripped back and screaming. Butch Vig produced the new album and it's a little too slick for them. Piss and Vinegar is the jam though. I really like the song with Tegan (from Tegan & Sara) too.

The Interpol album pretty much blew me away though. Great stuff. I listened to it on a late night trip to NC and it was perfect night driving music. It may take the top spot on my best of the year list.

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jul 14 2007, 11:35 AM)
The Interpol album pretty much blew me away though. Great stuff. I listened to it on a late night trip to NC and it was perfect night driving music. It may take the top spot on my best of the year list.

"Rest My Chemistry" is so dope.

Today I bought Snakes & Arrows on vinyl as an 18th birthday present to myself. $32.99 at a local store, which is especially cool if they only made 5,000 of them.

Just acquired

http://inkeehong.com/articles/image/Broken_Social_Scene_Broken_Social_Scene_Limited_Ed_CD_2005-thumb.jpg

Broken Social Scene's self titled album. I'm liking it a lot so far... I've listened about two full times.

QUOTE (Lerxst2112 @ Jul 14 2007, 02:16 PM)
QUOTE (Rush! @ Jul 14 2007, 12:46 PM)
Frank Zappa - You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol. 1

Awesome live album, I love it.

Yeah, it is great. Have you heard Zappa in New York?