Gyro meat

Mara

I love gyros, doner kebabs, shawarma. . .yum. Could live on the meat, really. I would love to just sit down in front of one of those huge rotating hunks of meat on a spit and carve off slices until I was stuffed.

Anyone ever ordered one of these slabs of deliciousness before? I know it can be done, and that it's also available frozen sliced. But DAMN, is it expensive! About $10/lb., plus shipping is a small fortune because it has to be overnighted.

I lived in Saudi Arabia for a while and the markets were just permeated with the smell of the meat, the "schwarma" as I like to call them. Do you have a recipe of the sauce that goes on gyros??? It is sooooo good!

trink39.gif

I haven't tried to make Alton Brown's recipe before, but someone brought it to a work potluck as a dip once and it was delicious. Here it is:

Tzatziki Sauce:

16 ounces plain yogurt

1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped

Pinch kosher salt

4 cloves garlic, finely minced

1 tablespoon olive oil

2 teaspoons red wine vinegar

5 to 6 mint leaves, finely minced

Place the yogurt in a tea towel, gather up the edges, suspend over a bowl, and drain for 2 hours in the refrigerator.

Place the chopped cucumber in a tea towel and squeeze to remove the liquid; discard liquid. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the drained yogurt, cucumber, salt, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, and mint. Serve as a sauce for gyros. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to a week.

Yield: 1 1/2 cups

when i lived close to the city there was a middle eastern place that served up all that amazing goodness. i hated the area but used to go out of my my for a gyro, thin carved lamb, chicken, or other meat. fried eggplant balls mixed with spices, lentil salad of some sort, and everything else. now i hit up a greek place once in a while and have a shish kebab, lamb gyro, or other.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 12 2012, 11:15 AM)
when i lived close to the city there was a middle eastern place that served up all that amazing goodness. i hated the area but used to go out of my my for a gyro, thin carved lamb, chicken, or other meat. fried eggplant balls mixed with spices, lentil salad of some sort, and everything else. now i hit up a greek place once in a while and have a shish kebab, lamb gyro, or other.

Stop it your making me hungry!!! It has such an allure!!!

trink39.gif

I make my own... it's very good.

1 diced onion (very fine)

1 lb ground lamb

1 lb ground beef

2 cloves minced garlic (about a TB)

1 TB marjoram

1 TB rosemary

1 tsp oregano

salt and pepper to taste (I use about 2 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper/grains of paradise)

Tzatziki Sauce is basically the same as Alton's, with some minor changes...

I use greek yogurt so I don't have to do the straining

I use lemon juice instead of the red wine vinegar (MUCH better IMO)

I use basil, oregano and a pinch of dill instead of mint.

I also take the cucumber, chop it, and sprinkle with salt to help remove more of the liquid... otherwise you get runny sauce. Not good eats smile.gif

for a great pita stuffer.... make the meat above, add kale until it wilts, and some toasted pine nuts at the end. Serve in pita with the sauce on top!

Edited by Lost In Xanadu

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jul 12 2012, 01:05 PM)
I make my own... it's very good.

1 diced onion (very fine)
1 lb ground lamb
1 lb ground beef
2 cloves minced garlic (about a TB)
1 TB marjoram
1 TB rosemary
1 tsp oregano
salt and pepper to taste (I use about 2 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper/grains of paradise)

Tzatziki Sauce is basically the same as Alton's, with some minor changes...
I use greek yogurt so I don't have to do the straining
I use lemon juice instead of the red wine vinegar (MUCH better IMO)
I use basil, oregano and a pinch of dill instead of mint.

I also take the cucumber, chop it, and sprinkle with salt to help remove more of the liquid... otherwise you get runny sauce. Not good eats smile.gif

for a great pita stuffer.... make the meat above, add kale until it wilts, and some toasted pine nuts at the end. Serve in pita with the sauce on top!

But isn't this more like a meatloaf? I like the stiffer texture of the stuff that comes on the spit. (Though I would not turn my nose up at gyro meatloaf)!

I love gyros. I get them all the time from a Greek pizza restaurant. They actually use real beef and lamb, not the frozen "fake meat" shit that a lot of places use.

I always pour a ton of Tzatziki sauce on them. That stuff tastes great with just plain pita chips.

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 12 2012, 01:23 PM)
But isn't this more like a meatloaf? I like the stiffer texture of the stuff that comes on the spit. (Though I would not turn my nose up at gyro meatloaf)!

I mix it all up, and make rods of meat that I then slap on a skewer and grill, it's not like meatloaf at all... I assume if you took all of that, threw it in a loaf pan and baked it... yeah, you'd get meatloaf smile.gif Then slice it up and throw the slices on a griddle to char the outside... need the char.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jul 12 2012, 02:51 PM)
I love gyros. I get them all the time from a Greek pizza restaurant. They actually use real beef and lamb, not the frozen "fake meat" shit that a lot of places use.

Exactly - that stuff's kind of leathery. My favorite is from the local Greek diner.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 12 2012, 08:23 AM)
I love gyros, doner kebabs, shawarma. . .yum. Could live on the meat, really. I would love to just sit down in front of one of those huge rotating hunks of meat on a spit and carve off slices until I was stuffed.

Anyone ever ordered one of these slabs of deliciousness before? I know it can be done, and that it's also available frozen sliced. But DAMN, is it expensive! About $10/lb., plus shipping is a small fortune because it has to be overnighted.

There are two of the best, most amazing places to get gyros here in Seattle. One is a restaurant on 3rd in the middle of downtown and the other is right across from Pike's Place Market. They simply have the best (and messiest!) lamb gyros EVER! The place on 3rd has the yummiest falafels.

Mmmm gyro.... love gyro. Dolma and hummus....oooooo

Interesting recipe LIX, I'll give it a shot.

Thanks. smile.gif

Mmmmm.. gyros drool1.gif I love Greek food!

I've tried the recipe LIX posted. It is rather meatloaf-ish but if you wrap a brick with foil, set it on top of the meat and leave it in the fridge overnight, it firms up real nice and you can roast and carve it into slices.

We have it on pita with Tzatziki Sauce, fresh cukes, tomatoes and kalamata olives (and onions for Hubby). Yummy!!

Now I want some.... b_sigh.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Oct 1 2012, 03:48 AM)
Mmmmm.. gyros  drool1.gif I love Greek food!

I've tried the recipe LIX posted. It is rather meatloaf-ish but if you wrap a brick with foil, set it on top of the meat and leave it in the fridge overnight, it firms up real nice and you can roast and carve it into slices.

We have it on pita with Tzatziki Sauce, fresh cukes, tomatoes and kalamata olives (and onions for Hubby). Yummy!!

Now I want some....  b_sigh.gif

Thanks smile.gif I love Greek food too. I used to eat at a wonderful Greek place in Portland, OR many years ago.

Now, I want Greek food too! b_sigh.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Oct 1 2012, 02:48 AM)
Mmmmm.. gyros drool1.gif I love Greek food!

Now I want some.... b_sigh.gif

Yeah, the char on the outside makes it good for me, and that's why I throw it on rods and grill it. Basically free formed sausage on a skewer. Get a great char on the outside and that is the best part of the gyro meat to me.