Neil Peart is he the best rock drummer of all time

The Vigilante

QUOTE (Slack jaw gaze @ Jun 22 2012, 10:44 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jun 22 2012, 05:50 PM)
I guess I hold my standards for mankind a bit too high - hell, half of you can't even grasp this logic!

I get it. A debate of subjective greatness naturally flows into "standards for mankind". confused13.gif

It's not my quote!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jun 23 2012, 09:04 AM)
QUOTE (Slack jaw gaze @ Jun 22 2012, 10:44 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jun 22 2012, 05:50 PM)
I guess I hold my standards for mankind a bit too high - hell, half of you can't even grasp this logic!

I get it. A debate of subjective greatness naturally flows into "standards for mankind". confused13.gif

It's not my quote!

I think most of us know that even though we haven't said so. Not to open up a can of worms, it is a reference to a closed thread in MoTS.

QUOTE (beherit @ Jun 22 2012, 09:02 PM)
Neil's my favorite drummer, therefore I don't really care whether or not he's the "best"

Holy crap, I actually agree with you! yes.gif

No matter how good of a drummer Neil is, he'll always be my favorite. The "best" is debated among many people, which is why I avoid debates like this.

QUOTE (upstateNYfan @ Jun 23 2012, 07:52 PM)
Yes.

No one else has had the combination of chops, longevity, influence, progression and versatility.

I think it's correct to say Neil is one of the best rock drummers of all time with some of the best lyrics of all time don't forget that, however outside the field of rock music there is a whole other world although i can't think of a single person that could take Neils place in the formula of Rush!

What about Phill Collins. That guys seems awesome on the drums. I don't he's as good as the top Echelon of drummers, but he's pretty darn close.

If I had a list a favorite drummers they'd be

Neil Peart

Carl Palmer

Phill Collins

Roger Taylor

There's probably guys better than them, but to me drummers sound fantastic.

Also that guy from Dave Mathews band is pretty good to.

Neil is my favorite drummer of all time. However, as of late, Gavin Harrison has captured my imagination in ways that NP did in the 80s. I am not saying that GH is "better" just that it is nice to find another drummer that captures my imagination in a different way. Not many drummers have done that for me.

2.gif yes neil is in a league of his own,he is the drummer the drummers of the world strive to be.............mike mangini new drummer from dream theater is pretty bad ass saw them last year his solo his awesome.....saw scorpions last week james kottak solo blew big chunks..................

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 22 2012, 11:13 AM)
I don't think so but if you do, nothing wrong with that trink39.gif

Pretty much this. Personally my favorite would have to be Bruford, his stuff with early Krimson was superb, far more interesting to me than most of the stuff Neil's ever played

It's all subjective. That said:

I find Bonham INCREDIBLY overrated. I don't find anything he did to be particularly innovative. He kept the beat, and one time made a solo. Neat, but he wouldn't be as highly regarded is he wasn't 1) in Zep and 2) dead. Also, his drums sound like slop. I'm not sure this guy ever contemplated tuning them.

Moon is like a storm. Chaotic, yet structured. His style was amazing. A freestyle dance in a free-fall with a parachute ready to deploy. He kept it on the line, but was so improvisational, if not wild.

The King Crimson revolving door has had some of the best drummers in the world. Bruford and Giles made some monster stuff.

I love what Copeland did with rock. His reggae and latin influences pushed rock drumming into new territory for the mainstream.

So what of Peart? Well, up until around the 90's, his playing was very metronomic. It lacks a lot of groove. It's a full-ahead onslaught of precision notes and mental exercises. But the lack of groove sometimes leaves everything he plays, all those notes... vacuous. It doesn't push you or pull you, it just drives you. Which is brilliant, but it speaks to a lack of finesse.

If you think pre-Gruber Peart is the best drummer, then you clearly haven't heard, or don't want to acknowledge, Portnoy. Portnoy was the next logical step to that style of drumming. He took the reins from Peart and took the technical to the next level.

But back to Peart: Compare Anthem to something like Malignant Narcissism. Anthem is a work out, a display of chops... Malignant Narcissism doesn't do that, but it pulls you. It's got enough groove to really frame the context of the entire work.

Best drummer in rock? No. In my mind, he's the best Classic Rock drummer.

To me, when you ask who is the best Rock drummer, particularly right now in 2012, it begins and ends with Gavin Harrison. He's got the chops, he's got the finesse. I can't ever recall hearing a piece of Gavin's and feeling it was in anyway out of place. He fits perfectly into that elusive "pocket" that every drummer wants to find. And in so many styles, so many genres, so many groups. And yet, it's always so original and refreshing.

Edited by New World Kid

He's up there in that pantheon, for sure.

Though Neil himself might humbly disagree, and has before.

QUOTE (DBJetsman @ Jun 22 2012, 07:46 PM)
QUOTE (tel @ Jun 22 2012, 11:17 AM)
Keith moon is vastly overated. bolt.gif

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

once again the hype and the legend outweigh the the talent.

Keith moon was all animation with little of any substance to back it up.

sure he was one of rocks great characters but imo not a great drummer.

Hell MF'in YES!

Because I don't define best as simply the fastest or flashiest.

I define best as combining several attributes such as skill, composition, creativity as well as having achieved the greatest measure of respect and influence among the largest number of disciples. By this measure, I don't think there is anyone who is even close. Maybe not even on any instrument.

I mean seriously, the guy goes back to taking drum lessons at a point when most others who have reached his level of proficiency and success are savoring the fumes of their glory days. Who does that???

Edited by hish747

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jul 6 2012, 02:16 PM)
Don't believe a word of all the self-effacing jibba jabba Neil does. Its the old school Canadian mentality! Its obvious to me that he's saturated in elitist sentiment.

And that's.. okay, because no one cares about a word of your trolly baloney. Troll boy. laugh.gif

One of the best ever, yes. My personal #2 behind Moonie. Also a huge fan of Bill Ward in his young days only. Lots of others I like as well....Mitch Mitchell (Hendrix), Dave Lombardo (Slayer), Bruford, Bonham, Nick Mason in his young days, etc., etc., etc......

As far as Rock.....easily.................as far as Prog Rock.....still number one............as far as Metal.......top 5......................

.......some of my other fav's (in no order)...............

Nigel Glockler (Saxon)

Nicko McBrain/ Clive Burr (Iron Maiden)

Cozy Powell (Rainbow)

Martin Lopez (Opeth)

Crhis Quirarte (Redemption)

Nick Barker/ Hellhammer (Dimmu Borgir)

Chris Adler (Lamb of God)

Viekko Jumisko (Catamenia)

Gene Hoglan (Fear Factory/ Dethklok)

Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater)

Jerry Gaskill (Kings X)

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 22 2012, 01:14 PM)
There is no such thing as best drummer, same as best painter, best actor, etc...it is all subjective.

goodpost.gif

Agreed completely. Though my personal favorite, subjectively speaking of course, is Gavin Harrison. Neil himself admires the hell out of the man.