Clockwork Angels Inspired Art

Union 5-3992

http://i49.tinypic.com/11t0fo4.jpg

Any criticisms, comments. Please share. I felt inspired by the lyrics to the title track on this album so I made this. It took a few hours to finish editing in Photoshop, then I did a trace on Adobe Illustrator. I used the clocks from the Caravan Single, the gyroscope thingy in the art book, and threw in some angel silhouettes too.

QUOTE (Alchemical @ Jun 20 2012, 01:07 AM)
Beautiful! I had imagined the angels being a bit shinier though.

I didn't want to have any detail to them. Leave them somewhat to the imagination. Plus I couldn't make them work no matter what I did. This looked the best.

Very nicely done! I like the colour choices, too! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Only question - did you have this is a higher colour resolution, too, or just the low-colour resolution? Either way, it looks really cool! smile.gif

Beautiful!

I'm envisioning the angels at the corners of the square for some reason. I have a picture in my head but can't do a thing about it --- I can't draw or Photoshop. confused13.gif

QUOTE (Mika @ Jun 20 2012, 02:38 AM)
Very nicely done! I like the colour choices, too!  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Only question - did you have this is a higher colour resolution, too, or just the low-colour resolution? Either way, it looks really cool! smile.gif

This is the highest color resolution I could get. I liked the other for it blended a bit better. And this one shows more mistakes I made on the original photoshop.

http://i49.tinypic.com/5pmzcl.jpg

QUOTE (hunter @ Jun 21 2012, 04:28 PM)
Nice work! Is that a comp with some autotrace in Illustrator?
Is that the clock tower in Jodhpur? Good Choice.

I'm not sure tongue.gif, I just typed in "Clocktower" in Google images

I'm going to work on an image for "The Anarchist" tomorrow. If anyone has any ideas for album art I could make or would like to submit your own, please do. This'd be a good thread for it. (And I can show off my stuff to more people biggrin.gif)

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Jun 19 2012, 11:47 PM)
Any criticisms, comments. Please share.

It looks great. Nice interpretation. One comment: shouldn't there be another angel on the corner directly overhead? Maybe I'm missing it. One corner is obscured from view, but I just see two angels of the four, with the middle corner in view being empty.

Also, I thought I'd re-post this here, since I thought Hunter's sketch was neat, too. I'd love to see others collected here.

QUOTE (hunter @ Jun 18 2012, 05:58 PM)
Just thought I'd share my interpretation that I get from the lyrics of CA. trink39.gif

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e372/biffmalibu01012/Rush%20forum/3D%20STUFF/CA_Doodle.jpg

QUOTE (Rush-O-Matic @ Jun 25 2012, 08:06 AM)
QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Jun 19 2012, 11:47 PM)
Any criticisms, comments. Please share.

It looks great. Nice interpretation. One comment: shouldn't there be another angel on the corner directly overhead? Maybe I'm missing it.

You're right, I completely forgot about it. I think I was just trying to make it so you could see the gyrothingy in the middle

This one is based off the Anarchist. I decided to portray him as the terrorist he is hinted at being in Carnies. And yes, that's Robert Downey Jr from Sherlock Holmes, he was dressed in Victorian era clothes.

http://i47.tinypic.com/wl4mmw.jpg

These pictures are incredible, OP. You should contact Rush and see if you can get them included in something - the stage show, maybe. Seriously, these are better than the official album art!

BTW, I suspect that Neil's lyrics for Clockwork Angels might have been inspired partially by the famous Prague Astronomical Clock.

This is "high above the city square", it has an astrolabe on it, and once every hour a procession of clockwork Apostles (not angels) show themselves above the astrolabe. Often, a crowd of tourists will be there gazing up at the clockwork figures when the clock strikes, although if their hands are raised it would be in order to take a picture and not "as if to fly"!

Edited by James_G

notworthy.gif This is phenomenal thanks!