As soon as the piano kicks in on The Garden...

Alchemical

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jun 20 2012, 06:59 PM)
Have any of the superior cynics ever teared up at a Rush show?

Maybe at a certain point it hits you just how cool it is to see them again after all these years, and that this could be the last time?

Nah, I didn't think so. eh.gif

Wish them well, eh? wink.gif

RR, I really enjoyed your post. Thank you. I relate to the song in much the same way for the same reason. These lyrics are arguably the best Neil has ever written.

Yes, this is a very emotional song for me. I truly think it is one of their most beautiful compositions from start to finish, and that alone would ordinarily be enough to make me catch my breath. But I lost my mother this May to cancer. She was a wonderful person, and The Garden reflects well how she approached life. And as if that weren't enough, she and my father (who is grieving as well) are directly responsible for instilling in me a deep love for music. I can't thank Neil, Alex and Geddy enough for the gift of CA, and especially this song. Their performance has helped bring me some measure of comfort during this tough time.

QUOTE (doublebullout @ Jun 21 2012, 04:08 PM)
Yes, this is a very emotional song for me. I truly think it is one of their most beautiful compositions from start to finish, and that alone would ordinarily be enough to make me catch my breath. But I lost my mother this May to cancer. She was a wonderful person, and The Garden reflects well how she approached life. And as if that weren't enough, she and my father (who is grieving as well) are directly responsible for instilling in me a deep love for music. I can't thank Neil, Alex and Geddy enough for the gift of CA, and especially this song. Their performance has helped bring me some measure of comfort during this tough time.

Found myself looking to hit the like button on your post.

How it is-- thanks as always.

I was talking to a Rush friend about this song last night and he asked how I would sum up what the song was about (to me) in one brief statement. After thinking for a minute I said, "It's about finding the beauty of reality".

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 20 2012, 01:37 AM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jun 16 2012, 07:55 PM)
Good song but I don't get the whole tearing up thing myself. Rush has never had that affect on me with any song. There's other songs from other bands that have done that to me but I just don't get that feeling from The Garden at all.

neither do i. confused13.gif

Same here really.

I mean I can't deny it is an excellent & haunting musical arrangement, with very emotional lyrics from Geddy. But even though I have played it back quite a few times, it doesn't leave me with the same emotional footprint as say "Losing It" from Signals.

Good song though, for all that yes.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 16 2012, 03:43 PM)
One of the best and most surprising moments on the album.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Spot on! What a great tune. Wasn't it this song that was supposed to be acoustic? The strings in the back really set the mood for the song. Fkn beauty!

QUOTE (LyndseyG @ Jun 20 2012, 09:46 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 17 2012, 12:12 AM)
Personally I've not teared up, but excretions or not, it's quite poignant just the same.  I think most of us can agree on its sincerity.

This.

Although its weird because normally I cry at almost anything poignant. But with The Garden... So far nothing. Rush has brought me to tears before and I can hear the emotion in it.

That said I know I'll fill up if they do play it live!

Ok, it's happened to me too now! Listened on the way back from visiting the in-laws and I welled up.

Better late than never!