The Garden

Ya_Big_Tree

I absolutely love the new album. In fact I can't stop listening to it. When I heard The Garden it just had a profound impact on me I actually found my eyes tearing up which hasn't happened since I first heard Secret Touch off vapor trails.

The guitar, the vocals the words it's all so perfect.

Well done boys. smile.gif

I hope they play it live this tour.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jun 15 2012, 02:43 PM)
I absolutely love the new album. In fact I can't stop listening to it. When I heard The Garden it just had a profound impact on me I actually found my eyes tearing up which hasn't happened since I first heard Secret Touch off vapor trails.

Who says it's the last album?

confused13.gif

Hell yes!

I officially became a Rush fan waaaaay long time ago when Columbia House Records kept sending me their album of the month shit, so to make them mad I'd open everything and listen to it (cassettes haha!) before sending them back.

Except this time they sent me Rush: Hold your Fire and I never sent that one back oh boy!

That was ~25 years ago and "The Garden" is the finest new song I've ever heard by them since becoming a fan. It teared me up a lot too my first listen especially..

Beauuuuuutiful song!

trink39.gif

Edited by Godeater2112

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 15 2012, 01:45 PM)

confused13.gif

Well... That's why the thread titled says "possibly" last album. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jun 15 2012, 02:55 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 15 2012, 01:45 PM)

confused13.gif

Well... That's why the thread titled says "possibly" last album. tongue.gif

I don't why people are so often asking or wondering about Rush's final album or tour. It's like they want it. So they can retire from RUSH and move onto the rocking chair or something.

Don't wish for the end Chrissie it'll come soon enough... cool10.gif

A great song, indeed.

The Garden quickly became one my most favourite songs from any Rush album.

There is so much in the song that I can relate to in my own life.

I guess the same could be said for most people, which is proof positive of great writing on Neil's part.

~RGLT cool.gif

PS...I think the band has another album (or two) in them.

Especially when you read or hear interviews of just how much fun and freedom they had writing and recording this and Snakes and Arrows.

It sounds like the big tours may be winding down, but not the creative output of music.

I had the same experience: "The Garden" made me teary, and I've NEVER had that reaction from a Rush song. Though they've always been my favorite band, they never struck me as an "emotional" band, more of a "cerebral" band. What "emotion" I have from their songs is usually the result of me going apeshit over the technicality of their performances - either in concert or on the albums. So my reaction to "The Garden" took me by surprise.

I can see people saying this could be the end, as that was part of my reaction, too. I've never before been one to say "this could be the end," but "The Garden" sounded like a farewell to me - some last words of wisdom and final gratitude for the long journey which led to it.

QUOTE (ReGorLaTroy @ Jun 15 2012, 03:01 PM)
I think the band has another album (or two) in them.

Especially when you read or hear interviews of just how much fun and freedom they had writing and recording this and Snakes and Arrows.

Yes, but the clock is running out. They may still be having fun, but their ages may not allow for much more.

Neil just said last week: "I can't imagine doing this for another ten years." And even if he DID do it for another "ten years," that's only two more albums at Rush's pace.

We won't have much more from them.

It sounds like the big tours may be winding down, but not the creative output of music.

If this is a way of saying they'll still make albums, but choose not to tour, I disagree. Albums only profit the record company; the tours are what profit the guys. Doing only albums and not tours is like making money for Roadrunner but not for themselves, and why would they do that?

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 15 2012, 03:06 PM)
What "emotion" I have from their songs is usually the result of me going apeshit over the technicality of their performances - either in concert or on the albums.

goodpost.gif

Well said, that's pretty much how I feel.

I think my emotional reaction (and tears, yes, actual tears) came from the parallel to events that have unfolded in my life.

Things I couldn't exactly put into words were being spelled out in a song by my favourite band.

There is a great line in the movie "Shadowlands" (about the authour C.S. Lewis) that says,

"we read to know we are not alone..."

The lyrics to "The Garden" drove this point home for me.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 15 2012, 03:12 PM)
If this is a way of saying they'll still make albums, but choose not to tour, I disagree.  Albums only profit the record company; the tours are what profit the guys.  Doing only albums and not tours is like making money for Roadrunner but not for themselves, and why would they do that?

Good points Geddy Rulz,

I was referring to lengthy, big production tours.

I see the live shows being limited to just a handful here and there.

I agree, from what I've read and heard from them that the clock is definitely ticking.

I've got a feeling the R40 tour will be the curtain call.

Edited by ReGorLaTroy

Great song and no, i think we get 1 more album

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 15 2012, 02:20 PM)
Here we are again with the RUSH R.I.P. speculation...

I suppose you'll be pissed off if they produce another album.

tongue.gif

Nah I'd love it if they kept making awesome music like this. But I'm a realist. They are getting older and I think they may wanna end on a fantastic note have an awesome tour, do R40 and then it might be it.

But if they kept going like this I'd be a very happy kitty. smile.gif

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jun 15 2012, 03:33 PM)

tongue.gif

Nah I'd love it if they kept making awesome music like this. But I'm a realist. They are getting older and I think they may wanna end on a fantastic note...

yes.gif

I'd like more, of course, but:

1. Time isn't on their side.

2. They'll want to go out with their strongest stuff, and Clockwork Angels will be hard to top.

3. "The Garden" is a classy farewell; myself and others could still be happy if this were the goodbye.

Just sayin'.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 15 2012, 04:46 PM)

tongue.gif

Nah I'd love it if they kept making awesome music like this. But I'm a realist. They are getting older and I think they may wanna end on a fantastic note...

yes.gif

2. They'll want to go out with their strongest stuff, and Clockwork Angels will be hard to top.

3. "The Garden" is a classy farewell; myself and others could still be happy if this were the goodbye.

Just sayin'.

I don't want a "classy" farewell.

I want a 'kick you in the balls, METAL up your ass, beast-mode, spit on you and never call you back, hard-rocking, 20 minute' epic to close out their last album.

Just sayin'. cool.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 15 2012, 03:58 PM)

tongue.gif

yes.gif

Just sayin'.

I want a 'kick you in the balls, METAL up your ass, beast-mode, spit on you and never call you back, hard-rocking, 20 minute' epic to close out their last album.

Just sayin'. cool.gif

1022.gif

Yup, The Garden is one of Rush's finest songs.

During the bridge, Geddy's delivery of these lines especially is one of his best vocal moments on this or any Rush album:

The future disappears into memory

With only a moment between

Forever dwells in that moment

Hope is what remains to be seen

I'm sure some will sneer and say this delivery is over the top, but for me this section gets me every time. wub.gif Especially coming, as you point out, on the last song of what could perhaps be their last album.

Just before I heard the album I had read that people were tearing up when they heard The Garden. I was fully expecting to blub myself... So far it HASN'T HAPPENED! Which is a massive surprise as it doesnt take much to make me cry!

Don't get me wrong. The Garden is beautiful and full of emotion, it just hadn't got me tearful...

tongue.gif

yes.gif

Just sayin'.

Just sayin'. cool.gif

Yes please 1022.gif

I'm sure they have it in them. Imagine a couple years from now they release an album similar in length to Hemispheres with a bitchin 20 minute epic to close it off. They may have to bring out the soup cool10.gif

tongue.gif

yes.gif

Just sayin'.

Just sayin'. cool.gif

That's what the rest of the album, UP TO "The Garden," was for.

Hypothetically, let's say they release one more album... and it's a piece of doo-doo. Satisfied with that ending? At least CA is a big crowd-pleaser for the fans, a nice way to go out.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 15 2012, 05:14 PM)

tongue.gif

yes.gif

Just sayin'.

Just sayin'. cool.gif

Hypothetically, let's say they release one more album... and it's a piece of doo-doo. Satisfied with that ending? At least CA is a big crowd-pleaser for the fans, a nice way to go out.

You've not got much faith in the band have you?

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 15 2012, 06:14 PM)

tongue.gif

yes.gif

Just sayin'.

Just sayin'. cool.gif

Up to this point...Rush hasn't released an album of doo-doo.

I more than have faith in them... 1022.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 15 2012, 05:20 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 15 2012, 05:14 PM)

tongue.gif

yes.gif

Just sayin'.

Just sayin'. cool.gif

You've not got much faith in the band have you?

I just don't believe they can top this.

I'll be happy if they go for it and come close, but for the first time in their career I'd also be perfectly fine if they quit.