Sound Issues? Try this...

launchpad67a

QUOTE (analog guy @ Jun 14 2012, 10:57 PM)
I may try it.

I've found that the album sounds better or worse depending on the location.... in my den with headphones is good. In my car, it sounds awful.

I turned my bass down and treble up in the car and it sounds better but only at a lower volume than what I normally listen to other Rush albums at.

When you go to try and blast it, that's when all the trouble starts with the crappy mud and etc.

Even on parts of Headlong Flight- holy shit- maybe that's where those bass pedals are on the album I don't know but I never noticed that before on my computer that has decent speakers.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 15 2012, 06:04 AM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 14 2012, 08:52 PM)
Not sure if my link works, but I think this can show how heavy the bass is. First try at re-EQ'ing.

Link to Carnies

You will hear it repeated against the original. Re-EQ first, then normal, then re-EQ , then normal.

Hopefully this link works better...

Carnies re-EQ

Up for 7 days...

Holy shit, what a huge difference!

QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ Jun 14 2012, 10:17 PM)
Here's what I think of the self-proclaimed "expert" audiophiles who think they know better than RUSH and their studio team.

http://i.imgur.com/a1ZES.gif

laugh.gif

Nice, but I disagree. They are certainly pros, no doubt...but even pros can make mistakes sometimes.

Two words: VAPOR TRAILS

Your little video is kind of what they boys and their team deserved after letting that one hit the streets the way it did...

ATTENTION ALL PLANETS: Here's the deal. I provided this remaster only as a test and somewhat of a solution for those who feel the record has sound issues. As I've said, the album sounds just fine the way it is but could use a little tweaking. I'm not going to remaster the whole record, it doesn't need it. As CygnusX-1Bk2 points out, you shouldn't have to remaster a freshly released cd.

I've already received many messages asking me to "do the whole record". And I've already provided solutions on how to "fix it yourself", with editing software OR with simple treble/bass controls on your stereo. If everyone thought the record sounded bad then I might provide a complete remaster, but it's just a small percentage.

The editing settings I tried and provided here took me 5 minutes to dial-in. They are very minor, (with the exception of cutting over 6dB of sub lows). Those with editing software can tweak until it sounds good to them.

For the rest, just Reduce the Bass and Boost the Treble on your stereos.

There is no doubt that the cd is bass heavy and treble light. Again, this can be fixed with the bass and treble knobs on your stereo. Recordings are never "one size fits all".

One observation I've noticed is, this album sounds great at low to mid volumes, but becomes rough at loud volumes. This is something that none of us can fix. My settings really help it at lower volumes, but could possibly make it worse at higher volumes.

It is what it is.

Edited by launchpad67a

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Jun 15 2012, 07:45 AM)
Not sure if my link works, but I think this can show how heavy the bass is. First try at re-EQ'ing.

Link to Carnies

You will hear it repeated against the original. Re-EQ first, then normal, then re-EQ , then normal.

Carnies re-EQ

Up for 7 days...

Maybe a bit too many highs, but you can see how bass heavy it is.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jun 15 2012, 09:15 AM)
The editing settings I tried and provided here took me 5 minutes to dial-in. They are very minor, (with the exception of cutting over 6dB of sub lows). Those with editing software can tweak until it sounds good to them.

This is the best idea. I just sucks to have to do it. sad.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 15 2012, 07:54 AM)
QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ Jun 14 2012, 10:17 PM)
Here's what I think of the self-proclaimed "expert" audiophiles who think they know better than RUSH and their studio team.

http://i.imgur.com/a1ZES.gif

laugh.gif

Nice, but I disagree. They are certainly pros, no doubt...but even pros can make mistakes sometimes.

Two words: VAPOR TRAILS

Your little video is kind of what they boys and their team deserved after letting that one hit the streets the way it did...

I think that Vapor Trails wasn't really a "fan-based" kind of album. I mean, don't get me wrong, I know Rush loves their fans. But, I think it was more of a recovery album for the whole trio after what Neil went through.

Then, starting Feedback, was their comeback with making quality albums.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jun 15 2012, 08:15 AM)
ATTENTION ALL PLANETS: Here's the deal. I provided this remaster only as a test and somewhat of a solution for those who feel the record has sound issues. As I've said, the album sounds just fine the way it is but could use a little tweaking. I'm not going to remaster the whole record, it doesn't need it. As CygnusX-1Bk2 points out, you shouldn't have to remaster a freshly released cd.

I've already received many messages asking me to "do the whole record". And I've already provided solutions on how to "fix it yourself", with editing software OR with simple treble/bass controls on your stereo. If everyone thought the record sounded bad then I might provide a complete remaster, but it's just a small percentage.

There is no doubt that the cd is bass heavy and treble light. Again, this can be fixed with the bass and treble knobs on your stereo. Recordings are never "one size fits all".

One observation I've noticed is, this album sounds great at low to mid volumes, but becomes rough at loud volumes. This is something that none of us can fix. My settings really help it at lower volumes, but could possibly make it worse at higher volumes.

It is what it is.

...and whatever.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 15 2012, 09:59 AM)

It is what it is.

...and whatever.

I see what you did there. wink.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 15 2012, 06:55 AM)
QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Jun 15 2012, 07:45 AM)

Link to Carnies

Carnies re-EQ

Up for 7 days...

Maybe a bit too many highs, but you can see how bass heavy it is.

Yes, that's too much on the highs, gotta be careful. Sounds like you have an 'auto-pan' plugin going on too. I hear the sound shifting from L to R more than it does on the cd. Check your effects chain.

Like I said, the adjustments are very minor to fix this. A little EQ goes a long way.

It is what it is.

Is there any downloadable sound editing software to go this myself that you recommend. I know nothing about this stuff or how to do it for that matter. So sound editing for dummies would be right up my alley.

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Jun 15 2012, 10:15 AM)

It is what it is.

Is there any downloadable sound editing software to go this myself that you recommend. I know nothing about this stuff or how to do it for that matter. So sound editing for dummies would be right up my alley.

Audacity.

If you have ITunes, try these settings with the EQ.

After many different combinations, I came upon one that sounds really nice (to me at least). What made this work is that it is such a different type of setting from what we normally use, which is middle to high bass settings, lower midrange settings, and high treble settings.

try the EQ like this:

32Hz @ -4

64Hz @ +2

125Hz @ -4

250Hz @ -12

500Hz @ -7

1000Hz @ -9

2000Hz @ -9

4000Hz @ -9

8000Hz @ -8

16000Hz @ +12

It seems like much more seperation with these settings, and a lot of the muddiness in the midrange goes away. Much easier to discern what is going on with all of the instruments, and makes me like the album that much more!

Sound issues, try this: Get a small CD player, one you could carry. Place headphones on, fill the tub full of water, get in the tub and then place the CD player into the water.

The Sound will shock the hell out of ya!

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

disclaimer: This is intended to be humorours and in no way should anyone actually attempt this unless you truly are an idiot and in that case knock yourself out. TRF holds no party in this discussion and should be absolved in the case some idiot actually attempts the

"Shock and Awe" sound method to improving Clockwork Angels!

rofl3.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif z7shysterical.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (ragz06 @ Jun 15 2012, 08:28 AM)
If you have ITunes, try these settings with the EQ.

After many different combinations, I came upon one that sounds really nice (to me at least). What made this work is that it is such a different type of setting from what we normally use, which is middle to high bass settings, lower midrange settings, and high treble settings.

try the EQ like this:

32Hz @ -4
64Hz @ +2
125Hz @ -4
250Hz @ -12
500Hz @ -7
1000Hz @ -9
2000Hz @ -9
4000Hz @ -9
8000Hz @ -8
16000Hz @ +12

It seems like much more seperation with these settings, and a lot of the muddiness in the midrange goes away. Much easier to discern what is going on with all of the instruments, and makes me like the album that much more!

dropping the mids is key, as i mentioned in my headphone thread, though it seems you went pretty extreme.

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 15 2012, 11:40 AM)
Sound issues, try this: Get a small CD player, one you could carry. Place headphones on, fill the tub full of water, get in the tub and then place the CD player into the water.

The Sound will shock the hell out of ya!

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

disclaimer: This is intended to be humorours and in no way should anyone actually attempt this unless you truly are an idiot and in that case knock yourself out. TRF holds no party in this discussion and should be absolved in the case some idiot actually attempts the
"Shock and Awe" sound method to improving Clockwork Angels!

rofl3.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif z7shysterical.gif

Yeah, this is a constructive post. Besides, you can't get shocked from a battery powered CD player (despite the disclaimer). cool.gif

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jun 15 2012, 06:15 AM)

One observation I've noticed is, this album sounds great at low to mid volumes, but becomes rough at loud volumes. This is something that none of us can fix....

I was listening on my way to work this morning at a "lower" volume and must admit it sounded much better than my usual "enjoyment" volume. Especially where the drums are concerned but also with guitar definition.

Mix issues.

Has anyone else gotten Sectors? I was looking forward to the surround mixes but was a little let down by them. Part of it is the source, especially with Fly By Night. I wonder where Rich is mixing these projects...

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jun 15 2012, 01:19 PM)
QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jun 15 2012, 06:15 AM)

One observation I've noticed is, this album sounds great at low to mid volumes, but becomes rough at loud volumes. This is something that none of us can fix....

I was listening on my way to work this morning at a "lower" volume and must admit it sounded much better than my usual "enjoyment" volume. Especially where the drums are concerned but also with guitar definition.

Mix issues.

Has anyone else gotten Sectors? I was looking forward to the surround mixes but was a little let down by them. Part of it is the source, especially with Fly By Night. I wonder where Rich is mixing these projects...

I think some of us are hoping somehow Steven Wilson does the 5.1 mix on this one smile.gif

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jun 15 2012, 01:54 PM)
Not me. I am not a fan of PT.

did you hear his remix of Jethro Tull's Aqualung in both stereo and 5.1?

Flawless.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jun 14 2012, 10:54 PM)
There is something wrong in your mixdown chain. Make sure you have reduced the master outputs to whatever I said in the first post. Make sure you "render" the new file through the entire master bus. I rendered a 320kbps mp3 file and it plays perfectly in WMP.
Check all your save-as settings and make sure its just a clean path to disc.

I think it'd help a lot if I were actually remixing the original WAV files instead of re-rendering an album of mp3s. doh.gif

QUOTE (ShowgunSam @ Jun 15 2012, 02:33 PM)
QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jun 14 2012, 10:54 PM)
There is something wrong in your mixdown chain. Make sure you have reduced the master outputs to whatever I said in the first post. Make sure you "render" the new file through the entire master bus. I rendered a 320kbps mp3 file and it plays perfectly in WMP.
Check all your save-as settings and make sure its just a clean path to disc.

I think it'd help a lot if I were actually remixing the original WAV files instead of re-rendering an album of mp3s. doh.gif

Ummm, yep! laugh.gif

Gotta use the original wav's.

Yeah, I'm still a bit of a noob at remixing XD. You gotta start somewhere! Anyways, I applied the same mix via Sony Vegas (instead of Mixcraft), but I still get a big brick wall. Gah! If I can just figure out how to change the export settings.