Overall sound of CA

Gompers

Like VT, does CA have some sound issues you detect?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Like VT, does CA have some sound issues you detect?

• Yes
    • Yes and I am good with it
    • I can't really tell
    • No, it is a great mix
    • Tick
    • Treeduck

The more I listen, the better I like it. This is a record that needs to be listened to a few times before making conclusions. I'm on listen #5 and starting to "love it"!

I'm on listen #5 as well.

This album is EPIC. trink39.gif applaudit.gif icon_alienjig.gif

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 13 2012, 11:42 AM)
QUOTE (tjtull @ Jun 13 2012, 12:31 PM)
The sound is fine to my ears.

...and yes:
I've listened to it on a good system with real speakers and a subwoofer. 
I've also listened to it in my car, with a good system and a subwoofer. 
I've also listened to it on my computer, with sh*tty speakers and a sh*tty subwoofer. 
I've also listened to it with earbuds and imagined there was a subwoofer. 
I've also listened to it through good quality Sennheiser headphones.

goodpost.gif

I don't hear any flaws in the mix either, so I voted "no"

And I've listened to the album 4 times already.

Really?

huh.gif

My thoughts are all over this board on this and other sonic issues, but I voted yes.

I'm not "good with it." I think it is a travesty that such a strong band effort is covered in thick sonic mud at times. But it hasn't stopped me from enjoying the album, as I've listened to it over 10 times thanks to my trusty vinyl rip. I'm so glad I have the dynamics of the vinyl because if I was stuck listening to the cd I'd probably not enjoy it as much.

It certainly could be better, but it doesn't take my enjoyment away of the album.

Vapor Trails was so bad that I couldn't listen to it. I still can't listen to it. If I want to hear anything from that record, I listen to the Rio or R30 versions.

This album is definitely better sonically than the last two, at least to my ears.

I think Rush may be adapting their sound to accommodate the production... we're seeing less layering than before.... under a lot of the guitar solos, you just have bass and no rhythm guitars. Vapor Trails and to a lesser extent Snakes & Arrows had walls of guitars and even multiple bass tracks.

I can't say CA is mastered better so much as I can say there's a lot more space on this record, and that makes for a better listening experience. I don't find it nearly as fatiguing as VT could be.

I also think Geddy's bass tone is the best it has been in a long time.

I'd like to know if anyone has the vinyl. I considered buying a turntable just to hear this album in that form.

My downloaded copy (legit, from the download card that came with the vinyl) sounds MUCH better than the leaked copy, and I haven't listened to the vinyl all the way through yet, but from what I have listened to that sounds better than the mp3s. None of them sound horrible to me, my main gripe is that during the louder parts Alex sometimes gets buried.

It's funny how different genres react to production. Some of the most influential punk/indie rock albums have horrible production, yet they are worshiped in those music communities.

It's not the best, but it's fine by me. These songs are so good they could have recorded it on a boombox and it would still be their best record in at least 30 years.

After Vapor Trails, nothing fazes me. wink.gif

Is CA compressed and loud? Sure, yeah... but thankfully none of the digital clipping and distortion soiling VT is present.

Snakes perhaps sounded a little clearer overall, however, I never really liked the drum sound on it (particularly the toms). The drums sound a little better in CA to me.

Edited by Bangster of Goats

Not an audiophile, don't have high end equipment. Not listening for tech, listening for the music. And I'd tend to think music is by its nature "imperfect."

You can only polish something so much before the polishing action itself becomes damaging.

I like what I hear.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 13 2012, 11:11 AM)
I have already found myself wishing things were different. The bottom is very pronounced.

This.

When that bottom end kicks in on the some of the songs, my whole house shakes. laugh.gif

My speakers have built in amplifiers, and you can turn adjust the power on them...I had to turn them down yesterday because of how strong the bass is on most of this album.

QUOTE (tjtull @ Jun 13 2012, 01:42 PM)
Snakes was just bad and CA just sounds bad.

Seriously?

Snakes sounded bad sonically? (aside from song writing preference)

Dude...seriously?

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 13 2012, 01:42 PM)
QUOTE (tjtull @ Jun 13 2012, 01:42 PM)
Snakes was just bad and CA just sounds bad.

Seriously?

Snakes sounded bad sonically? (aside from song writing preference)

Dude...seriously?

Yeah, I thought Snakes sounded damn good.

QUOTE (BriGuy @ Jun 13 2012, 01:58 PM)
Not an audiophile, don't have high end equipment. Not listening for tech, listening for the music. And I'd tend to think music is by its nature "imperfect."

You can only polish something so much before the polishing action itself becomes damaging.

I like what I hear.

See, BriGuy gets it! applaudit.gif

laugh.gif

I'm still listening to the crappy mp3 files while waiting for my CD to come in (long story), but I can hear each instrument, effects, etc. fine. I see no problems. Could it be better? Sure, anything in life can be improved, but I'm happy I have a new Rush album. If it meant having the quality of the mp3 files on the CD, I wouldn't care because I have new, kick ass Rush material. I suppose I don't have high standards for the sound of music. I'm easy to please.

Also, I know they were going with a raw, live feel of this album, so I wonder if that is having an impact in what we're hearing?

Edited by GUP1771

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 13 2012, 01:44 PM)
How many threads about sound are we going to have????  wtf.gif

one - two - three...three

http://www.todayifoundout.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/tootsie-pop-owl.jpg