BAD movies that got GREAT reviews...

rushgoober

Two biggies come to mind:

1. Unforgiven - won best picture a few years ago, and I thought it was truly horrible - yikes!

2. The Hours - ok, great acting, admitted, but the story was majorly depressing and I really didn't like it - my brother LOVED it, but myself, my wife, mother and sister couldn't understand why it got good reviews - we all thought it was awful...

Ya know...I KNOW I'm gonna get beat to DEATH for saying this, so I'll say it:

Titanic

Theres just SOMETHING about that movie that I can't STAND! Maybe due to the fact that it's WAY too long...or perhaps because Leo DiCaprio irritates me, so sitting though a 3 1/2 hour movie with him IN IT will drive my INSANE...or, because of that SICKENING Ceine Dion song, "My Heart Will Go On" that ANNOYED me to the GRAVE!!! 062802puke_prv.gif And even WORSE...the grocery store that I work at plays that song EVERY F*CKING DAY!!! comp26.gif 062802puke_prv.gif

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! fists crying.gif

Nope...the reason is...ALL 3 of those reasons I mentioned above!

So THERE...ya HAVE IT! I can't STAND Titanic. The End.

Oh..and have a nice day. cool.gif

-Matt

Edited by ALifeson85

I thought Unforgiven was an excellent movie. As for The Hours? Never heard of that one. Titanic definitely was I thought a waste of film to begin with. But the women loved it. laugh.gif

In fairness, I'm not sure Titanic got great reviews.

My nomination is a French film called Diva, which did the rounds in the early 80s. One guy I know went to to see it 11 times, he thought it was fantastic.

It bored the arse off me.

Ok, my asbestos suit is on - flame away!!!!!!!!

QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Jun 11 2005, 06:56 PM)

Titanic

Theres just SOMETHING about that movie that I can't STAND! Maybe due to the fact that it's WAY too long...or perhaps because Leo DiCaprio irritates me, so sitting though a 3 1/2 hour movie with him IN IT will drive my INSANE...or, because of that SICKENING Ceine Dion song, "My Heart Will Go On" that ANNOYED me to the GRAVE!!! 062802puke_prv.gif And even WORSE...the grocery store that I work at plays that song EVERY F*CKING DAY!!! comp26.gif 062802puke_prv.gif

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! fists crying.gif

Oh..and have a nice day. cool.gif

-Matt

The boat sinks, he dies, get over it.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jun 11 2005, 08:39 PM)
QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Jun 11 2005, 06:56 PM)

Titanic

Theres just SOMETHING about that movie that I can't STAND! Maybe due to the fact that it's WAY too long...or perhaps because Leo DiCaprio irritates me, so sitting though a 3 1/2 hour movie with him IN IT will drive my INSANE...or, because of that SICKENING Ceine Dion song, "My Heart Will Go On" that ANNOYED me to the GRAVE!!!  062802puke_prv.gif  And even WORSE...the grocery store that I work at plays that song EVERY F*CKING DAY!!!  comp26.gif  062802puke_prv.gif

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!  fists crying.gif

Oh..and have a nice day.  cool.gif

-Matt

The boat sinks, he dies, get over it.

yes.gif Titanic sucks. One of the worst movies that I have ever seen in my life. I went to see it with my parents when it first came out. I almost walked out of the theater. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 11 2005, 09:53 PM)
Lost in Translation (The 1st 15 seconds are genious though)

shrimp, i just now remembered what we were looking at in the first 15 seconds! now there's one thing we CAN agree on! laugh.gif

yes.gif

Im sure we can agree on a lot of things..

Would you consider reconsidering vapour trails?

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 11 2005, 03:38 PM)
Two biggies come to mind:

1. Unforgiven - won best picture a few years ago, and I thought it was truly horrible - yikes!

I definitely have to disagree with you on this one. I thought Unforgiven was movie magic, but each to his own, right? I especially liked the interplay between Eastwood and Freeman. I enjoyed every minute of this film.

I thought the Lord of the Rings was incredibly boring. I enjoyed the first installment but thought the last two sucked. I read the books in my childhood and maybe that's the problem. Perhaps the films can't do justice to my childhood imagination.

Bending over now and ready for my spanking from the true believers... biggrin.gif

I thought the Lord of the Rings was incredibly boring. I enjoyed the first installment but thought the last two sucked. I read the books in my childhood and maybe that's the problem. Perhaps the films can't do justice to my childhood imagination.

now i can understand that you liked unforgiven (well, no, i can't really, but it won best picture - SOME people had to have liked it, right?), but lord of the rings??? hey, i read the books too, and i thought they were all genius. the last one especially is one of the most powerful films i have ever seen - the last 30 minutes with all the various endings is pure ecstasy...

Bending over now and ready for my spanking from the true believers... 

http://www.mkandrew.com/Part%201%20Images/spanking_ok_sm.gif

Terrence Malik's "The Thin Red Line".. the critics were jerking themselves off about this movie due to the director's reputation.. I thought the movie was basically a commerical about Guadacanal done in a "GAP" commerical style.

Would you consider reconsidering vapour trails?

well, a kind soul here gave me an R30 show where they play some vapor trail songs, and after the second listen through they weren't too awful, enough to make me think i should try and sit through vapor trails again....soon....once i psych myself up for it.

i do think one little victory is a great song, so that IS one...um, little...victory...

QUOTE (war2112 @ Jun 12 2005, 04:20 AM)

Bending over now and ready for my spanking from the true believers... biggrin.gif

I thought the opposite the first one for me was '"LORD OF THE BORING" Ralph Bakshi pseudo animated version captured what I imagined it should be from reading the books. The two films that followed were very good and finished on a strong note.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jun 12 2005, 03:20 PM)
Terrence Malik's "The Thin Red Line".. the critics were jerking themselves off about this movie due to the director's reputation.. I thought the movie was basically a commerical about Guadacanal done in a "GAP" commerical style.

I agree. A bunch of soldiers sitting around in tall, flowing grass talking about how terrible war is. I was hoping Tom Hanks and Vin Diesel would come along and blow all these guys' brains out.