Beginner bass Rush song

Xanaseb

I really would advise not too start copying Geddys later 'flamenco' one finger style of playing especially if you're a beginner as it's a lazy way of playing that won't stand you well in playing other styles of music in other bands and it will dominate your playing as it does now with Geddy and in my opinion doesn't work well on Rush's older material! Play with your fingers, use a pick or both, just don't do the flamenco thing, it's not cool!

QUOTE (New Digital Man @ Jun 5 2012, 01:13 PM)
I really would advise not too start copying Geddys later 'flamenco' one finger style of playing especially if you're a beginner as it's a lazy way of playing that won't stand you well in playing other styles of music in other bands and it will dominate your playing as it does now with Geddy and in my opinion doesn't work well on Rush's older material! Play with your fingers, use a pick or both, just don't do the flamenco thing, it's not cool!

moon.gif

It's a technique that allows for some really cool sounds and chordal work. It's not "lazy".. it takes a lot of strength and control.

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jun 5 2012, 03:32 PM)
I would highly recommend playing with your fingers and not with a pick. There is so much more stuff you can do, such as plucking, triplets, etc.

Yep that's cool, I stayed away from the plectrum straight away really.

I've been playing an acoustic bass for what must amount to 2 months I think. I've transferred to electric bass and the difference is quite crazy ohmy.gif smile.gif

But the sound rocks 1022.gif 653.gif

QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Jun 6 2012, 02:10 AM)

moon.gif

It's a technique that allows for some really cool sounds and chordal work. It's not "lazy".. it takes a lot of strength and control.

Agreed, whilst some of the earlier stuff doesnt sound as good with the '1 finger' technique, it is actually very difficult to play consistantly. I've been playing for years now and it KILLS my arm to play like that for any long period of time. trink39.gif

QUOTE (English Muffin @ Jun 7 2012, 10:59 AM)

moon.gif

Agreed, whilst some of the earlier stuff doesnt sound as good with the '1 finger' technique, it is actually very difficult to play consistantly. I've been playing for years now and it KILLS my arm to play like that for any long period of time. trink39.gif

It's such a rewarding feeling, though. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Jun 7 2012, 02:06 PM)

moon.gif

It really is! I learned Caravan a little less than 2 years ago and I've worked the technique in more and more as I play it and to play through an entire chunk of the song like that is not only a confidence boost, but it makes me feel like a badass with the bass!

QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Jun 7 2012, 07:08 PM)

moon.gif

It really is! I learned Caravan a little less than 2 years ago and I've worked the technique in more and more as I play it and to play through an entire chunk of the song like that is not only a confidence boost, but it makes me feel like a badass with the bass!

How fast can you go with it?

moon.gif

Ooch! That must be a rough song. BU2B would be insane, as well. There's one part that I don't understand how Ged is playing, honestly. It is quite a rewarding feeling. Goodness, I just need to go start my own band now. angry.gif

QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Jun 8 2012, 01:19 AM)

moon.gif

Ooch! That must be a rough song. BU2B would be insane, as well. There's one part that I don't understand how Ged is playing, honestly. It is quite a rewarding feeling. Goodness, I just need to go start my own band now. angry.gif

BU2B is a beast song to play, most of it is fairly simple but the interlude part or whatever it is... 1022.gif

Anyone mentioned Tears? It's pretty easy overall.

QUOTE (Xanaseb @ Jun 4 2012, 08:59 AM)
QUOTE (beherit @ Jun 3 2012, 09:30 PM)
xanadu

laugh.gif sarcasm.gif

good one.

unless you aint kidding ohmy.gif

Xanadu's fun, it would only be minor challenge for a newb, was one of the first songs I ever learned. Just remember the studio recording is off-tuned ^_^

QUOTE (Sticklight @ Jun 3 2012, 04:27 PM)
Closer To The Heart

Hope this helps you smile.gif

Dude, CTTH is not a beginner's bass song at all (IMO).

Maybe you could try something like Dreamline?

I think he plays some chords to double up the synth / horns which although isn't really hard it might be different for a beginner to play who's mostly used to single notes.

moon.gif

I say it's a lazy technique that will not improve your playing for a beginner who should be making use of at least two fingers on the right hand and if your arm is hurting by simply using one fingertip to go up and down on a string then you are doing something wrong! You have to remember that Geddy was already a great player using all his fingers at a high level for years before adopting his later technique and we are talking about the easiest Rush songs for a beginner on bass to learn! Earlier albums like Hold Your Fire or Signals would not be possible to play on bass only using Geddys one finger approach and he still uses two fingers on a lot of material, Malignant Narcisissm obviously!