Green Lantern comes out

Gompers

QUOTE (Tick @ Jun 3 2012, 03:58 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 3 2012, 02:44 PM)
Anyway it's only the parallel Earth Green Lantern who is gay, Hal Jordan the main Green Lantern character is the same as ever...

and that's all that matters. atickhum.gif

I never read DC comics, I'm a Marvel freak...

trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 3 2012, 05:03 PM)
Anyway it's only the parallel Earth Green Lantern who is gay, Hal Jordan the main Green Lantern character is the same as ever...

Ditto! Marvel is soooo much better than DC.

QUOTE (Tick @ Jun 3 2012, 04:52 PM)

I remember back in the day, in the 70s, I did try a few DC titles but I just found that world empty compared to Marvel.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 3 2012, 03:55 PM)

I remember back in the day, in the 70s, I did try a few DC titles but I just found that world empty compared to Marvel.

I heard it said recently that Marvel is all about characters and DC is all about powers. I can't say that's untrue, to an extent. Marvel does seem to have the deeper interest in characterization while DC does seem to be about the power sets.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jun 3 2012, 05:04 PM)

I heard it said recently that Marvel is all about characters and DC is all about powers. I can't say that's untrue, to an extent. Marvel does seem to have the deeper interest in characterization while DC does seem to be about the power sets.

Yeah, the characters are better, but the whole thing is better really, including the super being's abilities, the stories, the normal human characters, the fictional and real location depictions, sub-plots, story arcs, villains both major and minor and so on.

The one thing DC has over Marvel is that generally over the years their stuff has translated better to film, until recently. Christopher Reeve's Superman and the latest Batman for instance. Marvel seem to be catching up in that department now with the Avengers, Iron Man and Spider-Man. I think one of the problems with Marvel film adaptations in the past is they just didn't have the technological capabilities to pull the whole thing off. Iron Man is almost perfect the way it's been brought to life, they never could have done that in the 70s or 80s.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 3 2012, 08:28 PM)
Who's familiar with the Marvel superhero Northstar? He was a Canadian guy. the writers intended all along for him to be a gay character, and they were finally "allowed" in 1992 to have him come out. Now he's with the X-Men.

Long story short: Marvel already beat DC to the punch, by about 20 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northstar

Yeah, that's all true but I think the ONLY reason he was created to be homosexual is because there was a lack of "character" in those Alpha Flight characters at that time (late 70s-early 80s). They were basically the punching bags of the X-MEN in those days.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 4 2012, 07:32 AM)

Yeah, the characters are better, but the whole thing is better really, including the super being's abilities, the stories, the normal human characters, the fictional and real location depictions, sub-plots, story arcs, villains both major and minor and so on.

The one thing DC has over Marvel is that generally over the years their stuff has translated better to film, until recently. Christopher Reeve's Superman and the latest Batman for instance. Marvel seem to be catching up in that department now with the Avengers, Iron Man and Spider-Man. I think one of the problems with Marvel film adaptations in the past is they just didn't have the technological capabilities to pull the whole thing off. Iron Man is almost perfect the way it's been brought to life, they never could have done that in the 70s or 80s.

Punisher should be one of the easiest characters to pull off on film and yet Marvel has struck out all 3 times at bat. Technology can't be blamed for them sucking all 3 times.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jun 4 2012, 07:04 AM)

Recently? It seems like that's something I've read and definitely talked about well over 20 years ago.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 4 2012, 02:15 AM)

Punisher should be one of the easiest characters to pull off on film and yet Marvel has struck out all 3 times at bat. Technology can't be blamed for them sucking all 3 times.

Well the film makers just sucked at it, in those cases. Same with Ghost Rider, and the Hoff as Nick Fury!

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 4 2012, 04:19 PM)

Well the film makers just sucked at it, in those cases. Same with Ghost Rider, and the Hoff as Nick Fury!

The Nick Fury Hasselhoff flick was worse than Catwoman + Batman & Robin combined.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 4 2012, 02:24 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 4 2012, 04:19 PM)

The Nick Fury Hasselhoff flick was worse than Catwoman + Batman & Robin combined.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 4 2012, 01:17 AM)

Recently? It seems like that's something I've read and definitely talked about well over 20 years ago.

It was recently that I heard it said, not recently that someone first made the observation wink.gif

QUOTE (Tick @ Jun 3 2012, 05:52 PM)

trink39.gif

Marvel fan here too.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 4 2012, 07:44 AM)
QUOTE (Tick @ Jun 3 2012, 05:52 PM)

trink39.gif

Marvel fan here too.

Same here . I loved Batman but you can't fu*k with Marvel

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 4 2012, 06:57 PM)
QUOTE (Shredder2 @ Jun 4 2012, 05:52 PM)
So who's gonna marry the Green Lantern?

maybe batman. i heard he's a switch hitter.

I don't know. I think the Riddler pretty much owns Batman. He may not be willing to share him to another.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jun 4 2012, 08:57 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 4 2012, 01:17 AM)

It was recently that I heard it said, not recently that someone first made the observation wink.gif

It took them that long to make that observation? They must work for DC. tongue.gif