KANSAS...the band

launchpad67a

Kansas fans were given an extrordinary gift from the band with the Magna Carta release Somewhere to Elsewhere in 2000.With all original members intact,this CD of all new songs seemed to comprise all of the best elements of the band's existence. a really superb effort that sadly will go unheard by the masses. But that's OK because I believe this recording was made solely with the Kansas fan in mind.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few years ago they came out with a dvd that was computer generated graphics of the band members playing. I've only seen it once and can't remember the name of the dvd (too lazy to look it up also). It's one of the coolest CGG things I've ever seen.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jun 10 2005, 07:26 PM)
Good band...I have the 2 CD set "Kansas"...is this thye box set people are referring to? Because it lists "Wheels" as a new recording...2 CDs is hardly a boxset...but goos music anywy.

Yes that's it. And thanks to this thread, I've been listening to it all day today.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jun 10 2005, 09:41 PM)
Got it, the name of the computer generated dvd is 'Device-Voice-Drums'. It's so frickin cool!!
The bands website is Kansasband.com

I have that DVD. No Kerry Livgren, but the boys sound GREAT. Steve Walsh's voice is actually better now than it was ten years ago (but not as good when the band was in its prime).

The computer generated sections are great, especially during the intrumental break in "Miracles Out Of Nowhere." That "music machine" is playing that section very accurately, and that section is pretty complicated. Here's a good shot of it from the DVD cover:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/1001001/p35d.jpg

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 11 2005, 12:16 AM)
Got it, the name of the computer generated dvd is 'Device-Voice-Drums'. It's so frickin cool!!

I have that DVD. No Kerry Livgren, but the boys sound GREAT. Steve Walsh's voice is actually better now than it was ten years ago (but not as good when the band was in its prime).

The computer generated sections are great, especially during the intrumental break in "Miracles Out Of Nowhere." That "music machine" is playing that section very accurately, and that section is pretty complicated. Here's a good shot of it from the DVD cover:

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I really like Kansas. I saw them a few summers ago when they opened for Yes. Those two bands together made one kickass concert. Unfortunately, none of my friends agree with my taste of music. The trouble of being 16 and like 30 year old bands...

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 10 2005, 10:16 PM)

Do you have the ability to make an mpeg from the 'music machine' section? I would love to just have that!

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jun 11 2005, 07:04 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 10 2005, 10:16 PM)

Do you have the ability to make an mpeg from the 'music machine' section? I would love to just have that!

I'll see what I can do. cool.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 11 2005, 12:16 AM)

Wow that looks so cool. Too bad that wasn't a Rush picture. That would rock!

TheTrinity had this YouTube clip in his sig, and I had to post it in here. This is Kansas playing "The Pinnacle" on the old Don Kirshner's Rock Concert show. For you fans who've never seen clips of them in their early prog years, you'll LOVE this. For those who know them only from "Dust In The Wind," you're in for a surprise.

It's a long song, so give it a chance.

Excellent band. I got into Kansas in 1996 as my interest in prog was growing. The music Kansas did from 1974 to 1982 was excellent. Of course the classics Leftoverture and Point of Know Return are killer albums. Two For the Show is one of the best live rock albums, shame that the CD deleted a killer version of Closet Chronicles(which is on The Best of Kansas remastered CD).

Vinyl Confessions lacked Steve Walsh's vocals but had some of Livgren's best pieces Crossfire, Fair Exchange and Windows.

After Livgren jumped ship, the band went into the gutter IMHO! Also, time wasn't kind to Steve Walsh's voice.

Everytime "Point of Know Return" comes on the radio, I totally lose my shit.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 27 2006, 02:41 AM)

You simply cannot help but move to that song. It is unavoidable.

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Jul 27 2006, 05:08 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 27 2006, 02:41 AM)

You simply cannot help but move to that song. It is unavoidable.

That and "Never Been Any Reason" by Head East.

Listen to Magnum Opus if you're a non-believer. That tune totally kicks butt! I have a guitarist friend that says Kerry Livgren is the man. On their DVD Voice, Device, Drum they utilize animation on "miracles out of nowhere" which has to be seen to be believed. It's like this musical creature that plays all of the parts at once, even drums, in perfect time with the live band. Really creative awesome stuff! Anyone else seen this DVD? It's cool cuz Robbie Steinhardt is back with the band now.