• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Rush fans we all recognize the genius of the so called "epics"

I would rate the early Kansas epics right along side Rush

Apercu/Death of Mother Nature Suite from the 1st album

Lamplight Symphony and Incomudro from SFA

Mysteries and Mayhem/The Pinnacle from Masque

add to that the shorter but epic in nature Magnum Opus from the Leftoverture and you have some serious musical brilliance to appreciate.

QUOTE (clearingsky @ Apr 28 2007, 07:46 PM)
As Rush fans we all recognize the genius of the so called "epics"

I would rate the early Kansas epics right along side Rush
Apercu/Death of Mother Nature Suite from the 1st album
Lamplight Symphony and Incomudro from SFA
Mysteries and Mayhem/The Pinnacle from Masque
add to that the shorter but epic in nature Magnum Opus from the Leftoverture and you have some serious musical brilliance to appreciate.

yes.gif

I just stumbled on this thread. I should venture into other areas besides Rush and Random Samples once in a while.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of Kansas. Got into them about '88 when I heard Leftoverture. I now have all their albums but I never cared for the first one much.

My favorite albums are Leftoverture, Masque, and Song For America. Some of my favorite songs are: Carry On Wayward Son, Miracles Out Of Nowhere, Opus Insert, Sweet Child Of Innocence, Paradox, Hopelessly Human, Mysteries And Mayhem, Lonely Street, Questions Of My Childhood, Away From You, Hold On, No One Together, Rainmaker, Myriad, Not Man Big.

Among rock singers I place Steve Walsh second only to Steve Perry. That dude could sing his ass off.

On a personal note, I think Ehart is very much an underrated drummer.

They came to play at the Cajun Heartland Fair a few years ago and seeing as how it was an open venue, I brought my camera and got a few good shots.

Rich williams

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v712/ghostofarider1/RichWilliams.jpg

Phil Ehart

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v712/ghostofarider1/PhilEhart.jpg

Steve and Robbie

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v712/ghostofarider1/SteveWalshandRobbieSteinhardt.jpg

QUOTE (paganoman @ Jun 9 2005, 11:29 PM)
QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jun 9 2005, 10:44 PM)
Heard a Kansas tune on the radio today and thought this would make a good topic for Rush fans. I have always considered them one of my favorite bands. I have seen them in concert about 10 times, always an amazing musical show!
Anyone (young fans especially) who have never heard this group, please check them out. Great, great vocals, musicianship and song writting.
Forgot how much this band influenced my music career. A true inspiration! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I think the band is awesome. Their CD box set is something worth owning. When my wife and I were first dating we went to go see them at some Sun Tan Jam thing. I was so blown away by their performance. These guys kicked ass. Their lead singer was astounding. He had so much energy, and never stopped moving for a moment. They played so tight, and like Launch said, their musicianship was out of control.

I kept saying that these guys belonged in an arena. A great show.

Great posting. goodpost.gif

Kansas have always been an incredible bunch of musicians.

I've seen them 3 times.They are as good live as the are ....no..strike that. They are better live.

Phenomenal.

(thanks for starting this thread)

cool.gif

QUOTE (Ghost of a Rider @ Apr 28 2007, 09:29 PM)
I just stumbled on this thread. I should venture into other areas besides Rush and Random Samples once in a while.
Anyway, I'm a big fan of Kansas. Got into them about '88 when I heard Leftoverture. I now have all their albums but I never cared for the first one much.
My favorite albums are Leftoverture, Masque, and Song For America. Some of my favorite songs are: Carry On Wayward Son, Miracles Out Of Nowhere, Opus Insert, Sweet Child Of Innocence, Paradox, Hopelessly Human, Mysteries And Mayhem, Lonely Street, Questions Of My Childhood, Away From You, Hold On, No One Together, Rainmaker, Myriad, Not Man Big.

Among rock singers I place Steve Walsh second only to Steve Perry. That dude could sing his ass off.

They came to play at the Cajun Heartland Fair a few years ago and seeing as how it was an open venue, I brought my camera and got a few good shots.

Rich williams

Phil Ehart

Steve and Robbie

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v712/ghostofarider1/SteveWalshandRobbieSteinhardt.jpg

Good pics there...

trink39.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 28 2007, 10:38 PM)

Rich williams

Phil Ehart

Steve and Robbie

Good pics there...

trink39.gif

Thanks a lot. Me and my brother were right up front at the stage. I was no more than about 20-30 feet from the stage when I took them.

About a year after this REO, Styx, and Survivor came to Lafayette and who did I see on the floor but Robbie Steinhardt with his arm around his (presumably) wife. Alas, I didn't have a camera as this wasn't an open venue. He was wearing another one of those Native American themed T-shirts. In just about every pic I've seen him in he's wearing one of those. As you can see in my pic he's wearing one with two wolves on it.

QUOTE (Ghost of a Rider @ Apr 28 2007, 11:16 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 28 2007, 10:38 PM)

Rich williams

Phil Ehart

Steve and Robbie

Good pics there...

trink39.gif

Thanks a lot. Me and my brother were right up front at the stage. I was no more than about 20-30 feet from the stage when I took them.

About a year after this REO, Styx, and Survivor came to Lafayette and who did I see on the floor but Robbie Steinhardt with his arm around his (presumably) wife. Alas, I didn't have a camera as this wasn't an open venue. He was wearing another one of those Native American themed T-shirts. In just about every pic I've seen him in he's wearing one of those. As you can see in my pic he's wearing one with two wolves on it.

And now of course he's left the band and David Ragsdale's in again. I suppose one bonus of having him in is he can play guitar as well...

Just found out that Kansas is finally releasing a remastered version of their live CD Two For The Show. The original CD version has a lot of analog tape hiss so this is welcome news.

But that's not the best part...this new version will feature a second CD with previously unreleased live cuts that were recorded during the same shows featured on the original T4tS! (That's like Rush announcing an expanded version of ESL featuring "Camera Eye," "Hemispheres," etc. from that same tour.) These are not previously heard live tracks that were featured on any of the best-of CDs or as bonus tracks on the remastered studio CDs.

Plus...the whole album will not only be remastered, but REMIXED as well (by Jeff Glixman, who also did their classic albums).

This will be released on July 1st. Here's the track listing:

First disc (same running order as the original CD version)

1. Song for America

2. Point of Know Return

3. Paradox

4. Icarus -- Borne on the Wings of Steel

5. Portrait (He Knew)

6. Carry on Wayward Son

7. Journey from Mariabronn

8. Dust in the Wind

9. Lonely Wind

10. Mysteries and Mayhem

11. Excerpt from Lamplight Symphony

12. The Wall

13. Magnum Opus

Second disc

1. Hopelessly Human - (previously unreleased)

2. Child of Innocence - (previously unreleased)

3. Belexes - (previously unreleased)

4. Cheyenne Anthem - (previously unreleased)

5. Lonely Street - (previously unreleased)

6. Miracles Out of Nowhere - (previously unreleased)

7. Drum Solo/The Spider - (previously unreleased)

8. Closet Chronicles - (from the original LP and tape versions, later cut from the CD version)

9. Down the Road - (previously unreleased)

10. Sparks of the Tempest - (previously unreleased)

11. Bringing It Back - (previously unreleased)

Wha? We have a six page thread on Kansas but when I started a poll about Leftoverture it received like two votes. ohmy.gif

Ahh well, awesome band either way. I'm not 100% convinced they're a Progressive Rock band, not unless you consider Deep Purple a Progressive Rock band too, but they sure are awesome.

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Jun 6 2008, 06:15 AM)
Ahh well, awesome band either way. I'm not 100% convinced they're a Progressive Rock band, not unless you consider Deep Purple a Progressive Rock band too, but they sure are awesome.

Kansas not prog? If they're (or were, during their heyday) not a prog band then Deep Purple is a country and western band.

What criteria does a band have to meet to be considered a prog band?

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 6 2008, 09:39 AM)

Kansas not prog? If they're (or were, during their heyday) not a prog band then Deep Purple is a country and western band.

obviously he's never listened to... say... the first 5 albums. In fact I'm gonna put on Point of Know Return and Prog out! 1022.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 6 2008, 03:30 AM)
Just found out that Kansas is finally releasing a remastered version of their live CD Two For The Show. The original CD version has a lot of analog tape hiss so this is welcome news.

But that's not the best part...this new version will feature a second CD with previously unreleased live cuts that were recorded during the same shows featured on the original T4tS! (That's like Rush announcing an expanded version of ESL featuring "Camera Eye," "Hemispheres," etc. from that same tour.) These are not previously heard live tracks that were featured on any of the best-of CDs or as bonus tracks on the remastered studio CDs.

Plus...the whole album will not only be remastered, but REMIXED as well (by Jeff Glixman, who also did their classic albums).

This will be released on July 1st. Here's the track listing:

First disc (same running order as the original CD version)
1. Song for America
2. Point of Know Return
3. Paradox
4. Icarus -- Borne on the Wings of Steel
5. Portrait (He Knew)
6. Carry on Wayward Son
7. Journey from Mariabronn
8. Dust in the Wind
9. Lonely Wind
10. Mysteries and Mayhem
11. Excerpt from Lamplight Symphony
12. The Wall
13. Magnum Opus

Second disc
1. Hopelessly Human - (previously unreleased)
2. Child of Innocence - (previously unreleased)
3. Belexes - (previously unreleased)
4. Cheyenne Anthem - (previously unreleased)
5. Lonely Street - (previously unreleased)
6. Miracles Out of Nowhere - (previously unreleased)
7. Drum Solo/The Spider - (previously unreleased)
8. Closet Chronicles - (from the original LP and tape versions, later cut from the CD version)
9. Down the Road - (previously unreleased)
10. Sparks of the Tempest - (previously unreleased)
11. Bringing It Back - (previously unreleased)

That's good, I'll be looking for a copy of that one...

cheer.gif common001.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Wow, I will pick up the new "Two for the show" as soon as possible !!! 1022.gif

On an other note, Rushgoober claims to be the Prog rock 60's and 70's guru and he knows not a thing about Kansas, and thinks Dust in the wind is the overall flavor of there music. BOOOO ! GOOBER, BOOOO ! new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

We should start a petition for him to play Kansas on that psyhco vortex, acid tunes broadcast of his ! 1287.gif 1022.gif

You finally saw the light with Dream Theater Goobs ! Its time to enter the realm of Kansas !

Edited by tick

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 6 2008, 05:39 PM)

No I just think if Kansas are a Progressive Rock band than so are Deep Purple. Which is fine with me. I don't know how you can seperate them out.

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Jun 6 2008, 10:12 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 6 2008, 05:39 PM)

No I just think if Kansas are a Progressive Rock band than so are Deep Purple. Which is fine with me. I don't know how you can seperate them out.

dude! are you familiar with the catalog of both bands? They are entirely different. Purple is straight up rock and Kansas is progressive. I dont even understand why you are comparing the two. Just listen to Spider off Point of Know Return and the debate will be over.