Neil's Drums

FT Tracker

I was listening to Xanadu and the sounds of Neil's Slingerland drum set with the tubular bells, wind chimes, and all the other naural sounds he created. I wished he would go back to this era with his next set. I like the natural sounds much better than the electronic sound. What is your favorite set of drums that Neil has played over the years?

The Red Tamas

Sonically, the DW kits absolutely DESTROY anything else he's ever had, and they look the best too. His old kits were completely dead sounding. I know a lot of you like that sound, but it just does not match his new playing style at all.

I do like the dead sounding Slingerlands (I play old slingerlands so i'm biased, but) and the newer DW's, but the Tamas with Vibra-Fibe sound so sharp and... just awesome!

QUOTE (Nate1647 @ May 30 2012, 12:02 PM)
Sonically, the DW kits absolutely DESTROY anything else he's ever had, and they look the best too. His old kits were completely dead sounding. I know a lot of you like that sound, but it just does not match his new playing style at all.

Wrong. Listen to Counterparts. The Ludwig toms sing for days(resonate) with more bite and attack and not all the low end mudiness of the DW's.

QUOTE (presto123 @ May 30 2012, 05:23 PM)

Wrong. Listen to Counterparts. The Ludwig toms sing for days(resonate) with more bite and attack and not all the low end mudiness of the DW's.

Thank you!! trink39.gif

QUOTE (default236 @ May 30 2012, 08:28 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ May 30 2012, 05:23 PM)

Thank you!! trink39.gif

The exact kit as my drums in my avatar except mine are a little lighter shade of blue. Same shells though. Bought them back around 1990 or so.

QUOTE (presto123 @ May 30 2012, 06:23 PM)

Exactly why I prefer the DWs. To me the Ludwigs are lacking in low end punch - yes they are resonant but the lack of low end just makes them sound thin I think. Listen to the drum sound on Headlong Flight (imo possibly his best drum sound yet). There is some resonance there but there's also a lovely fatness and warmth to the toms which I love.

Having said that, I think that Rio and R30 were misses in terms of getting a decent drum sound but that was due to tuning, micing, mixing etc. rather than the drums themselves. Just compare Different Stages to Rio - same kit and yet it sounds waayyy better on Different Stages. Shows that there's far more to getting good drum sounds than just having decent drums.

Can't stand the ringing of the high toms. I will take those deadened toms any day. They gave more power to his sound.

QUOTE (angel in my armor @ May 31 2012, 01:48 PM)
I kinda dug the white/pink hued Ludwig kit...his last double kick kit as a matter of fact.Thought they sounded great and looked good too. bekloppt.gif

Agree once again. If you listen to a solo from the Ludwig era and compare it to the DW era there is no comparison. The Ludwig toms are just so alive. I don't like the warm mudiness of the DW's near as well. T4E record is a good example. As soon as he did a record with the new DW's his drum sound took a change and not for the better. Could be that he decided to change heads as well by they are much too warm sounding and muddy for my ears.

QUOTE (presto123 @ May 31 2012, 02:02 PM)
I kinda dug the white/pink hued Ludwig kit...his last double kick kit as a matter of fact.Thought they sounded great and looked good too. bekloppt.gif

Agree once again. If you listen to a solo from the Ludwig era and compare it to the DW era there is no comparison. The Ludwig toms are just so alive. I don't like the warm mudiness of the DW's near as well. T4E record is a good example. As soon as he did a record with the new DW's his drum sound took a change and not for the better. Could be that he decided to change heads as well by they are much too warm sounding and muddy for my ears.

Can only disagree on that. tongue.gif Seems my taste in drum sounds must be very different to yours! Each to their own I guess cool.gif

And +1 on the Gavin Harrison comment - you really can't go wrong with Sonor drums and Zildjian cymbals imo!

Edited by Drummerrobin

For me it has to be the black Slingerland kit. Walking into the Glasgow Apollo as a 13 year old drummer in 1977 and seeing the kit....1st covered by a sheet and then WOW there in all it's glory as the band stormed into Bastille Day, the memory never leaves me!

Nope, his last double kick set was the plum Ludwig Presto kit.

Plum? Really?

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ May 31 2012, 05:51 PM)

Plum? Really?

It's the same kit! tongue.gif http://andrewolson.com/Neil_Peart/drums/drumkits/presto.htm

QUOTE (Drummerrobin @ May 31 2012, 06:43 PM)
QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ May 31 2012, 05:51 PM)

Plum? Really?

It's the same kit! tongue.gif http://andrewolson.com/Neil_Peart/drums/drumkits/presto.htm

Details

I prefer the Tamas or the Ludwigs. To my ears, Neil sounded best with a crisp, precise, tight sound, and I thought he had that in spades with those drums. I guess if I had to choose between them, I'd choose the Tamas.

I don't know if it's just playing style or if it's actually the DW drums, but I haven't really liked his sound nearly as much since Freddy Gruber. I know he's technically supposed to be a better drummer now, but to me he sounds a lot less precise and technical, and now sounds much more like every other drummer out there.